Main Menu

Hearts of Iron IV

Started by Ian C, May 13, 2016, 01:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skoop

I always get confused on what's free with the update and what is exclusive with the dlc.  I'll end up getting this at some point.  For HOI5 I may just get the game and no dlc ever...I bet I'll have the same experience.

ArizonaTank

I may have missed it, but I don't see any discussion of the AI opponent in the DLC release notes.  Hopefully they built the AI to be able to use all of these new features. The DLC will just be bolt on chrome otherwise. 

Of course I am a Paradox sucker.... I will probably buy the DLC day one...complain loudly if the AI does something stupid...and then open my wallet again for the next DLC.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

bobarossa

Quote from: ArizonaTank on February 08, 2019, 05:44:47 PM
I may have missed it, but I don't see any discussion of the AI opponent in the DLC release notes.  Hopefully they built the AI to be able to use all of these new features. The DLC will just be bolt on chrome otherwise. 

Of course I am a Paradox sucker.... I will probably buy the DLC day one...complain loudly if the AI does something stupid...and then open my wallet again for the next DLC.
You are what is known as an 'enabler'!

Ian C

Quote from: Rayfer on February 08, 2019, 11:27:27 AM
IanC....an impressive list of fixes and changes.  The one that bothers me is: "Revised US NF tree, with more nuanced Great Depression and need to placate Congress"...I saw this is a Paradox video months ago and didn't like it at all.

I'm also wondering exactly how and to what depth it will affect the experience of playing the U.S.

Full details of the U.S rework and the new U.S. National Focus tree: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi-4-dev-diary-america-rework.1116768/

Rayfer

Quote from: Ian C on February 10, 2019, 12:05:12 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on February 08, 2019, 11:27:27 AM
IanC....an impressive list of fixes and changes.  The one that bothers me is: "Revised US NF tree, with more nuanced Great Depression and need to placate Congress"...I saw this is a Paradox video months ago and didn't like it at all.

I'm also wondering exactly how and to what depth it will affect the experience of playing the U.S.

Full details of the U.S rework and the new U.S. National Focus tree: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi-4-dev-diary-america-rework.1116768/

Thanks for the link.  Not sure what to make of it all.  Will have to see once it comes out.

Ian C

SirAndrewD

They've essentially made this an entirely different game from the day one release version. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

al_infierno

Imagine a WWII game where you have to buy DLC for fuel.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

SirAndrewD

Quote from: al_infierno on February 20, 2019, 05:29:34 PM

You're imagining HoI IV. 

A case can be made for being angry at Paradox for releasing what was essentially a Beta and then having continued development funded by DLC. 

Although, you have to be careful to also admit that they did put a lot of the features they developed into the free patches.  The first couple of DLC packs didn't really add a whole lot.  It's been the last two that have made fundamental changes, and most of those changes are integrated even if you don't buy.

I have mixed feelings on it.  It's the Paradox business model now, but that doesn't make me totally happy with how the game was released in the state it was in and how it's taken two years to finally, and only apparently, fix a lot of its biggest problems.   I'm still going to support it because I like Paradox games.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

jomni

Quote from: SirAndrewD on February 20, 2019, 10:17:01 PM
Quote from: al_infierno on February 20, 2019, 05:29:34 PM

You're imagining HoI IV. 

A case can be made for being angry at Paradox for releasing what was essentially a Beta and then having continued development funded by DLC. 

Although, you have to be careful to also admit that they did put a lot of the features they developed into the free patches.  The first couple of DLC packs didn't really add a whole lot.  It's been the last two that have made fundamental changes, and most of those changes are integrated even if you don't buy.

I have mixed feelings on it.  It's the Paradox business model now, but that doesn't make me totally happy with how the game was released in the state it was in and how it's taken two years to finally, and only apparently, fix a lot of its biggest problems.   I'm still going to support it because I like Paradox games.

At this rate buying the "gold" or "complete" versions years after release would be the way to go.

Rayfer

Quote from: Ian C on February 20, 2019, 08:29:47 AM
Dev diary with all new features listed:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-dev-diary-man-the-guns-mega-recap.1154415/

WOW...this is a massive overhaul, some of it looks questionable yet some looks promising.  Hard to tell until it is released and we get to play it. In spite of its warts and flaws I've enjoyed this game since its initial release and will stick with it with this new update/DLC.

Ian C

I've sunk over 840 hours on it so far.  For me, all of those features look like great fun. However, I'm waiting to see how the revised naval combat works, particularly, naval-air and carrier combat.
Allegedly, they have fixed subs and convoy raiding. I can't wait.

SirAndrewD

Yeah, I can't be mad at Paradox considering the time I've invested.

The only thing that does cheese me off a bit is that every time I sit down to really invest some hours, they announce something game changing like Man the Guns and I don't want to play without the new features. 

I do agree with Jomni in that the way to go with Paradox titles now is to wait a long time after release and get them after the first few expansions on a sale. 

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Ian C

Pre-release copy playthrough as U.S. It appears fuel management is now a key strategic element. The ship designer looks interesting. (https://youtu.be/65PjsdT0IjQ?t=1963) Really looking forward to Thursday release day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65PjsdT0IjQ