Main Menu

Space 4x Blues

Started by Jarhead0331, January 20, 2018, 11:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmike

Sigh. Now I'm going to have to look at this game and those Quill videos.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bbmike on January 22, 2018, 08:39:26 AM
Sigh. Now I'm going to have to look at this game and those Quill videos.

The first 4 videos in his series were really great. He does a really good job of explaining what to do and why, particularly with early game priorities. After the 4th video, I had the confidence to start charting my own course and so I started to diverge from Quill's strategy. Mainly with respect to research priority, mining and colony creation. Also, he starts skipping some time between videos, so he would perform certain tasks, like ship building, research, and setting up colonies or moving infrastructure and automated mines to asteroids and comets, etc., between videos.  Diverging from his strategy was in part necessary due to differences in the galaxies we were playing in, since they are all generated differently each time and his solar system was populated with valuable minerals in different locations and with different accessibility than in mine. Still, I found the rest of his videos useful for key tasks.

The complexity of the game can certainly be daunting, but I'm finding that the more comfortable I get with the system and methodology, the more it all makes sense. If someone could take this game and add more visual flare to present the information in a more enjoyable and manageable way, the game would be a killer instant classic. Steve sees this game as a really niche product with low user appeal. However, that is only because he's built it around a spreadsheet. Personally, I think he is sitting on a goldmine and if the right graphics, sound and production values were added, I'm quite confident Aurora could be the real Civilization in space we have all been searching for.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Yskonyn

No interest in Starfire Solar forum play then? 😊
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Rayfer

JH.....(repeat post)....the Aurora 4X wiki page lists two installation methods.  First is manual, which has some complexity to it.  Second is called Portable Aurora, supposedly much simpler.  Which did you do? Any suggestions?  Sorry for the repeat post but I really am interested in which download to go with...or is there another?

OJsDad

Quote from: Rayfer on January 22, 2018, 11:58:31 AM
JH.....(repeat post)....the Aurora 4X wiki page lists two installation methods.  First is manual, which has some complexity to it.  Second is called Portable Aurora, supposedly much simpler.  Which did you do? Any suggestions?  Sorry for the repeat post but I really am interested in which download to go with...or is there another?

It's been awhile since I installed Aurora, but I used the Portable.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Jarhead0331

Like OJ, I definitely used the portable package.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Tuna

This kind of like WITP AE in Space?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tuna on January 22, 2018, 12:28:05 PM
This kind of like WITP AE in Space?

Its more like what you would get if WitP had a menage a trois with WitE and WitW, resulting in the birth of a love child.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Tuna

Maybe he should hook up with Matrix and get some Graphics going!

OJsDad

Quote from: Tuna on January 22, 2018, 12:34:08 PM
Maybe he should hook up with Matrix and get some Graphics going!

Steve doesn't want to commercialize Aurora.  Once he does that, it is no longer his personnel hobby that he can do with as he pleases. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Rayfer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 22, 2018, 12:26:05 PM

Like OJ, I definitely used the portable package.

Thanks....I think I give a whirl. 

bobarossa

The real geek fun begins when you have to design your own search and fire control radars and missle systems.  Haven't played in a few years and I have 6 new games I purchased in the holiday sales.  Must resist ignoring new games to play old favorites.

Yskonyn

Ok, here is a crazy idea regarding Aurora multiplayer:

Would it work if you let each participating player create an Empire in Space Master mode.
Then we start the game and player 1 plays his Empire for say 1 game year (to be determined), while the other Empires are on autopilot.
Then the game gets saved, player 2 switches to his/her Empire in Space Master mode and then play another year.
This way we let the savegame go round and round and effectively have Aurora multiplayer going! 

The wiki actually refers to Space Master mode as being derived from Dungeon Master. And facilitates the switching/creation and editing of Player and Non-Player Races.

O0

Jarhead, OJsDad, bobarossa, Rayfer, Tuna and bbmike interested to see if we can make it work?
If we can then we'll have intelligent (well somewhat at least, if you look at myself) opponents, we can make diplomacy as detailed or as basic as we want while having the super deluxe groggy gameplay from Aurora itself!  :smitten:
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

^interesting idea. There must be some way to pull off a "PBEM" style MP game, but I need to think about the best way to do so.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

OJsDad

I think the problem is that a turn can go anywhere from 5 secs to 30 days, depending on what is happening.