Whats on your painting table/workbench?

Started by TheCommandTent, July 08, 2012, 09:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

lol - well, thats that sorted - good one Stagger!
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

Ha! Maybe we could take our show on the road: "I can name that tank in 4 google-chops!" "Wait, I can name it in three!"

There's a side view of it in Armored Thunderbolt. I've been furiously flipping through the pages for a half an hour. I should give the book 1st credit since that picture suggested what to look for.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

Yeah - the antique tank road-show!

Just to complete the quartet, the one in top left is an A30 Challenger with 17pdr.

'Clip those corners'

LongBlade

Good stuff, guys. Thanks!

I've found my skills improve at this stuff when I handle models/minis.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bob48

I got an answer back from Bovington today, confirming what we now know. The vehicle is currently in the 'reserve' display.

Hello Bob,

Thank you for your email

The tank in question is the Assault Tank T14 (the first pilot tank remained in the the US whilst the second one was shipped to the UK).  It weighed approximately 47 tons and had a maximum speed of 24 miles an hour and was armed with the M3 75mm gun.  Britain wanted an assault tank but the American Amored Force never wanted the T14 and the contract to produce the tank was never started and all development work had ceased by December 1944. 

Yours sincerely,

Stuart Wheeler

'Clip those corners'

Staggerwing

Cool that he emailed you back so quickly. What's next Bob? Should we take on French and Italian weenie tanks? Or maybe the Antipodes have a few homebrew rattletraps that need attention...

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

bob48

Ooh, well, the Ozzies had a strange looking home-grown tank called the Sentinel, we could have a look at that as a curio, or that ugly behemoth the Tortise..........maybe even the T28......

http://www.tankmuseum.org/ixbin/indexplus?record=ART2981

'Clip those corners'

LongBlade

Quote from: bob48 on October 23, 2012, 06:30:58 AM
Ooh, well, the Ozzies had a strange looking home-grown tank called the Sentinel, we could have a look at that as a curio, or that ugly behemoth the Tortise..........maybe even the T28......

That looks suspiciously like a Jagdpanther...only uglier.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Quote from: LongBlade on October 23, 2012, 08:23:44 PM
Quote from: bob48 on October 23, 2012, 06:30:58 AM

That looks suspiciously like a Jagdpanther...only uglier.

Speaking of Uglier than a Jagdpanther: the T-28 Bob was referring to:

Unless, of course, he was referring to the equally ugly Soviet T-28 Which the Finnish referred to as the 'Mail Wagon' (I'm guessing that after facing it in the Winter War they were not impressed):

W8taminute

I always thought Jagdpanthers were cool looking ever since I saw my first one on the PanzerBlitz box cover.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

bob48

Stagger, great pic's, and yes, it was the US T28 I was thinking about. I had forgotten that early war Ruskie monstrosity. The Finns in the Winter War did not seem to be impressed by anything that the Russians fielded, probably more due to poor deploymeny / doctrin and logistics than anything else. Interesting period though.

Changing to 'good looking' tanks, one of my favourits is the Black Prince, whilst not all that successful, it did pave the way to one of the all-time classics; The Centurion!

http://www.tankmuseum.org/ixbin/indexplus?record=ART3437

'Clip those corners'

Staggerwing

Yep, the Centurion was a good looking tank and, unlike most post ww2 British tanks, saw some serious action with the IDF. IIRC some 90-odd IDF Centurions held off almost the entire Syrian Army in the 'Valley of Tears' during the 1973 IAW. (OK, a little hyperbole but you get the point  ;)).

Staggerwing

BTW, the IDF was able to do some amazing things with surplus M4s against much more modern tanks as well. Not that those Shermans were exactly stock anymore mind you...

Rekim

Speaking of Centurion tanks. One of the few pleasures of my time posted at CFB Kingston was walking by this beaut on the way in and out of the office

bob48

Most Excellent!

One of the most interesting of the 'Super Shermans' was the varient fitted with the AMX13 turret and used by Egypt.

'Clip those corners'