JRP vs JRP vs JRP vs the boardgame CHURCHILL (on TTS) Turn 10 FINISHED

Started by JasonPratt, May 01, 2017, 09:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Lo, then, my original video series which I was working on before I got distracted by starting work on playing Decisive Campaigns: Blitzkrieg against Barthheart, stands revealed! Consequently, there is even more early installment weirdness than one might expect. But no 8-bit metal covers. Yet. (Not sure what to do about under-tracking music, since by design there isn't much going on in this game without talking.)

I'll probably be able to link to the upload for Turn Zero tonight, but if not then early tomorrow morning: it's uploading now, and the ep is short.

Turn One should be uploaded tomorrow, but that'll take a lot longer as it's nearly an hour (due to having to explain in more detail how the game works).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Come to think of it, I can post the code now and it'll go live automatically later once the upload and compile is complete. I'll have to go back and choose a proper thumbnail for it, probably, but at least this way I can go to sleep earlier.  :buck2:

If you see a YT greyout here, it just hasn't finished uploading and compiling yet. Check back around 10:30pm Central Standard or afterward.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

The epic properly begins! With the "Symbol" Conference at Casablanca! Also: lots and lots of explanation in order to keep pretending this is a tutorial somehow!  :D

Bonus: hideous attempts at creative poetic cadence for a while! (This will be dropped in future eps.)

Extra special bonus: even more hideous attempts at accents for Churchill, FDR, and (my favorite) Stalin!! (This will not be dropped because I find it hilarious.  >:D )

Note to self: find or create a proper custom video screenshot this afternoon.

JasonPratt

Turn 2, May 1943, the "Trident" Conference in Washington, D.C. It should be live by midnight my time (Central Standard US) or thereabouts.

The "Stalin" side of my head is having a ball.  >:D But he's in for a stiff fight this turn, and not only from his putative allies!

Note: I originally uploaded this thing over 7 hours yesterday afternoon and last night, at 720p high def; but after it uploaded, I experimented with whether Youtube still needed my computer connected to finish processing the mp4 file. My experiment appears to have failed, or rather succeeded in answering that question in the negative: the resolution this time seems stuck at 320, which is super-annoying (having spent all that time uploading a higher res file), and my educated guess at the moment is that this is because I shut down while Youtube was processing the file. I shall keep that in mind for next time. The low-res only means that some of the smaller font card text can't be easily read.

JasonPratt

NOW WITH EVEN MORE VOMIT-CAM SOMEHOW! Also, Ghandi FDR 2: no more mister passive resistance. He's out to kick some butt.

W8taminute

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

I see you playing TTS pretty frequently; what are you tabling? X-Wing?

W8taminute

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 09, 2017, 12:44:45 PM
I see you playing TTS pretty frequently; what are you tabling? X-Wing?
:)

I've been playing War of the Ring by Ares Games.  Very easy to play solo and not that much less complex than Star Wars Rebellion which I also play on TTS.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

JasonPratt

I need to choose a better thumbnail tomorrow, but meanwhile here's Turn 4!

Since I'm having trouble coming up with anything like a real narrative progression in how the 'players' make their choices, I'm giving up the hideous impersonations for now -- possibly for the whole game. This naturally reduces the video time, too! But it might make the video (even) less interesting, too.

I may find ways to speed the report up even more as I go -- I might even pare down to illustrations of how and why the remaining rules trigger, and then just show end-of-turn snaps of the two theater maps and the scoreboard. (I'm still enjoying playing the game, even though it's against myself, but the game doesn't lend itself well to full turn episodes after a while.  :( )

W8taminute

You're doing great.  I like your narrative as it explains the turn process in a clear and concise manner.  Once in a while a hideous impersonation is good for the comic relief.   ;D

JasonPratt

Should I make a Turn 4 that puts the decision-making back in? (I don't mean delete the current ep.)

W8taminute

It's up to you but I found that since you already showed how the decision making works you can skip over it in subsequent videos.  Unless you need to explain what happened in greater detail.

JasonPratt

Yeah, the dialogues were just a way of illustrating how players might make decisions (right or wrong) in the game. If I thought I could go somewhere narratively with them I'd continue; but since I can't, then at this point I just want to fast-forward to the end to illustrate a sample result (and to illustrate rule triggers along the way, as well as use my mistakes to reinforce how the game should be properly played).

(I did the same thing in my Khazad du-Bekar AAR -- lots of narrative for a while, but then once the turning point arrived on the campaign map the missions got samey, and even somewhat before then, so I fast-forwarded. I still had fun playing them, I just didn't have much more interesting to talk about. I'll still have fun playing Churchill against myself, but ditto.)

JasonPratt

As a progress update: I somewhat expect to play the final turn tonight (or if not tonight, soon). It'll be a super-insane close-fought match at the end!

On the videos I will certainly produce one compressing various turn results with some strategy discussion, possibly two or three videos total, with the final video possibly being the final turn by itself. With or without horrible voice impressions, not sure yet. ;)

Just wanted to let thread subscribers know that progress is being occurred.  <:-)

JasonPratt

Have you ever been wondering whether I'll get around to finishing out this schizophrenic series?!

ME, TOO!  :D