Main Menu

Civ 6

Started by Rayfer, October 03, 2018, 04:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Got this during  last weekends Steam sale. I have played earlier versions 3,4 and 5.  Over 100 turns into a campaign and I am disappointed, or better stated; frustrated. It may well be I just haven't figured out the nuances of the changes from 5 to 6.  Pacing is glacial. It takes forever to build stuff, even in the later AD years. Builder units disappear after 3 projects and are costly to outright purchase.  Accumulating gold is very difficult, even after researching currency, trade and other finance paths.  I haven't figured out how to effectively utilize the new district concept. Perhaps that's the problem. Just curious of what others experience has been with the game. I only have the basic vanilla game, no dlc.

bbmike

The DLC is must have.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

I bought the DLC a few weeks back and tried out a few games.  I dunno.  Even with the DLC this iteration feels hollow.  Also, the AI seems hell bent on attacking you for absolutely no reason even when they're in no position to do so.  Not really digging Civ VI much at all.  I'm not a fan of the return to cartoony graphics.  The AI is poor.  Golden Ages are too easy to achieve.  Not enough variety in map setups at the start.  The game will always, always, always make sure that you're going to be in close proximity to another Civ no matter how large you make the map and how few starting Civs you pick and they'll always attack for no reason. I also hate the fact that you can't build roads with workers anymore.  Apart from Sean Bean, there's not much about this version that appeals to me.

Barthheart

I've only got 987 hours (  :o ) into Civ VI so far so I might be a bit of a novice but I like it more than Civ IV or V. But you do need to have the major expansion Rise and Fall to get the mot out of the game.
I also play almost exclusively with the Yet (not) Another Maps Pack mod. Using the Giant Earth True Start Locations on Epic speed is a blast.
The AI is a little war happy but that seems to have been reduced a bit with R&F. There should hopefully be another big expansion due out soon... but maybe not until the spring.

bbmike

Quote from: Gusington on October 03, 2018, 05:39:39 PM
Why?

It changes the game dramatically. The addition of Great Ages and Governors especially. Looking forward to whatever expansion comes next.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

Thanks for the above. First Civ game I ever played was Civ II, on the original PlayStation, no less. Never played Civ III, didn't really like Civ IV but loved Civ V and all its expansions/DLC, especially Empires of the Smoky Skies and the Imjin War.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

I've completed one game of the standard game and am currentely playing one with the addon which i bought on sale this weekend.

I don't think that someone who doesn't like the base game will enjoy it more with the addon (the addon is way to expensive if not on sale). While i do have fun with the game, i overall agree Rayfers opinion...the gameplay is slow, there's barely room to expand, you have to plan disctricts in details, diplomacy is far inferior to the one in Master of Orion CtS. To me, it really feels like a boardgame now where you can spend 5 minutes on just one turn.

As i said, i don't think it's a bad game but i really hope they move away from this game design for the next game. I think the game is too complex now.

fran

I looked at the sale, and the mixed reviews. I fired up Civ V with all the DLC and is really enjoying it. So no buy from me.

Rayfer

Quote from: fran on October 04, 2018, 01:04:09 PM
I looked at the sale, and the mixed reviews. I fired up Civ V with all the DLC and is really enjoying it. So no buy from me.

I've given up on 6 for now.  At least until the DLC comes down off its current price of $29.99. This iteration just isn't as fun as 4 and 5 were/are. Hard to point out any one reason.  The overly war aggressivenss of other empires, the new limited use of builders, the district concept in city development, the slow, glacial pace of the game...all may have seemed like good stand-a-lone ideas but they don't integrate well, the game is flat and lifeless.  And yes, like someone above noted, the cartoon depictions of the empire leaders is silly.

Gusington

Thank you Rayfer. I toyed with buying this on and off. You saved me some $$

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MC

I wonder how many people get Civilization fatigue and just grow tired with the series. Of course a lot depends on the progression of the series from one iteration to the other. I have Civ 6 but just the base game. I'll probably play it eventually once I get all the significant DLC. I have such a backlog and this is currently further down the "play next" list.

Gusington

I always preferred the historical campaigns to sandbox mode. I do not like the idea of hoplites defending against tanks, as an example. So some Civ games I enjoyed but others, not so much. The tech disparity between civs can't be too great or I just don't enjoy it.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd