Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

Thanks for the tips SirAndrew!  That Sothis/Ceos run sounds promising; I might have to grab a Type 6 and make my way over there at some point.....

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 12, 2019, 12:41:38 AM
Thanks for the tips SirAndrew!  That Sothis/Ceos run sounds promising; I might have to grab a Type 6 and make my way over there at some point.....

Make sure to check your Galmap before heading out there.  It's a long trip if you have a short jump range, and it's not worth the effort unless one system, preferably Ceos, is in Boom. 

You'll want to head to Brunel Hub or New Dawn in Ceos first.  Brunel offers some of the highest payout missions, some even just delivering in system and no jump required. 

Some of the better missions won't unlock till your allied with the factions, but that shouldn't take long.  Start with a few courier data missions first to get over the initial hump. 

Also, keep in mind that you WILL get attacked on a lot of those missions.  Just evade the interdiction.

Lastly, Sothis/Ceos is by far the best place to grind Federation rank.   The missions many time offer reputation payouts and with the sheer volume of runs, you can burn through rank faster than anywhere else I've seen.   I went from Ensign to Read Admiral there in just three days, and finally managed to get my Federal Corvette.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Huw the Poo

Excellent tips, thank you again!

SirAndrewD

If anyone wants to do engineering with Horizons there are three places that you'll want to go that can really speed things up. 

First is Dav's Hope in Hyades Sector DR-V c2-23 A 5 at 44.8180, -31.3893.   You'll be able to find the base after using the planetary scanner.  It's an abandoned mining base with a LOT of Grade 3-4 materials on the ground you can collect.  You can simple scoop them and then log off and back on again and they'll respawn.  This will stock you up on a lot of mid grade manufactured. 

Second it the Bugkiller Anaconda Crash site in HIP 16613 system on planet 1 a at -11.0093, -95.6755.   There is a lot of Grade 5 Raw materials found in containers at the site, and there are three data points that give Grade 4-5 Scan Data.  Same as above, collect, scan and relog.  You will fill up on three Grade 5 Raws and Two G5 Data types.  (And be careful around the Thargoids).

Third is Commander Jameson's crashed Cobra on  HIP 12099 system on planet 1B -54.3803, -50.3575.    There are three data points that can all be scanned from one central location, and they give G4-5 Data.  You can easily fill up three types of Data there in less than an hour. 

Once you have filled the materials, you can trade them for what you lack and then have enough for a lot of level 5 Engineer rolls.

For Grade 5 Manufactured Materials, you can find them in any civilized system.  Scan the Nav Buoy when you jump in system, and then look for "High Grade Emissions" signal sources.   There will always be Grade 4-5 Materials there to collect. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Myrmidon

I'm hoping to finally be able to use my Fed Dropship for some troop mission insertions.  Not holding my breath, but man, that would awesome.

The potential for more ground missions, plus the addition of actual atmospheric skies on planets make this pretty awesome news.  Glad to hear the devs are still giving it their attention.

Toonces

That does sound cool.

You know, I hadn't touched Elite in about 3 years until a month ago.  On a whim I fired it up just to see if it would run, and then goofed off seeing how much of the controls I remembered.  Unfortunately I didn't remember enough to actually play it, but I was struck again by how immersive a game it is.  I really do need to get back into it at some point. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Toonces on June 03, 2020, 07:07:47 PM
That does sound cool.

You know, I hadn't touched Elite in about 3 years until a month ago.  On a whim I fired it up just to see if it would run, and then goofed off seeing how much of the controls I remembered.  Unfortunately I didn't remember enough to actually play it, but I was struck again by how immersive a game it is.  I really do need to get back into it at some point.

Were you playing in VR?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Skoop

I saw the space legs coming finally.  I'm so heavily vested in star citizen, I'll probably pass on ED.  Though It does have VR.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Myrmidon

I have a hard time between the two modes.  Playing Elite in VR is one of the most immersive experiences I've had.  The size and scale of ships and buildings in VR is much bigger.  Flying in the middle of a war zone orbiting a planet, or doing a ground assault mission in VR is simply incredible.

But this time of year, as it gets hotter, sometimes I don't want a set of VR goggles on my head for an extended period of time.  As amazing as the VR experience is, the crispness of the graphics in the higher resolutions not currently available in VR is also something I miss.  So I see positives for both experiences.  I'm envious of the triple HD widescreen monitor setups I see some guys sporting. 

Unfortunately, at this point, it appears the Odyssey expansion won't initially be available in VR at launch, although I'm sure eventually it will be implemented.

mbar

Quote from: Toonces on June 03, 2020, 09:32:54 PM
No, I'm still a TrackIR loser.

I won't even consider VR. I wear bifocals.  :nerd:
TrackIR all the way.

Yskonyn

I actually have shifted back to TrackIR from VR myself as well.
Comfort is a big factor for this and it translates to physical parts of having to wear the goggles to eyestrain from having to focus quite often to see the image sharp. Re-adjusting the goggles, etc.

In the end I am just more comforable with having my desk in front of me and playing my games on my big 43" 4K montor instead; all the graphical fidelity with a reasonably big viewport for immersion and the comfort of a 'free head' and the possibility to grab and handle stuff around the desk easily.

However, I do agree that the immersion VR gives in games like Elite is next-level stuff!  :bd:
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

sandman2575

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 05, 2020, 02:42:55 AM
...playing my games on my big 43" 4K montor

Whoa! Curious what specs you need to run games on a 43" 4K monitor !  Is a single RTX 2080 Ti enough?  I have an RTX 2080 'super' which comfortably runs my modest 27" 1440p monitor, but doubt very much it could manage what you've got!