Civil War Generals: Eastern Campaign

Started by Anguille, January 14, 2015, 04:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anguille

Eastern Campaign 1862

Jut got the need to play a new campaign of Civil War II: Generals again and decided to share that one with you  ;). First battle of the campaign is Kersnstown. Did i say that i hate this battle? Yep...it's tough one and a hard start in the campaign...let's see...my objective is to take as few casualties as possible.

Battle of Kernstown, 23th of March 1862

In the early hours of this sunday of March 1862, i move my army to meet the men under Brig. Gen. James Shields from the Union's army. Reinforcements will be coming in the next few hours. 6 regiments and one artillery division.

Col. Turner Ashby will have to scout and skirmish the enemy so i can place my division in positions.

We move up to Kernstown and will establish a first line. The enemy has about 3 times the numbers we have so we won't move up to far to the north.

First plan for the day is to establish a defensive line according to what is drawn below and find out where the enemy is. Ashby will take his men on Pritschard's hill to have a better view over the valley.

At 0830, we have reached our position.

First reinforcements have arrived....

MetalDog

One of my favorite games of all time.  Thanks, Anguille, for doing this!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

This is a free game? It looks cool but I'd never heard of it before.  :-[

MetalDog

It's a lot of fun.  The amount of battles you can play is good sized.  IIrc, there are three Campaigns: Eastern, Western and Grand.  I only  played as the Union.  I wasn't confident enough to take on the role of the underdog. 
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

jomni

How can you run this in modern machines without anomalies?

Anguille

It's actually not a free game. I bought it in 1997.  There's a no-cd version somewhere on the internet. It runs fairly well on xp, 7 and even 8 (though i have a problem with the screen resolution on that one). There are just a few files that have been removed from Windows that you have to add to the Civil War folder in order to make it work. Actually there's a lot more than 3 campaigns....i always play the Confederates...i like the challenge  ;)

We continue to deploy our troops...no sign of the enemy yet.

The fresh regiments are moving up north to reinforce the line.

bbmike

Got this to run under Windows 8.1 a while back. I need to dig it out and try to re-install now that I have a new rig. Then I really need to give it a proper go.
Thanks for the AAR!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Anguille

Enemy troops spotted! There's a lot... :-\

I am putting my troops into defensive position. Let's see if crossing the rivers will weaken the enemy.

Anguille

Our men are ready for the battle!

Ashby will attack the artillery unit approaching...they are still limbered! Attack!

Anguille

The Union's troops are getting ready to attack us! They have a lot artillery units...this is going to hurt.

Ashby and his men have to pull back or they will get slaughtered...their order is to go behind the enemy and, if possible, attack the artillery units behind the troops.

Anguille

The enemy is getting closer!

Ashby and his men are going behind the enemy lines...

The battle is about to begin...

Anguille

The first men fall in the center as the troops fire at each other at the entrance of Kernstown

Meanwhile, Patton and his men aim for Pritchard's Hill in order to attack the artillery.

Ashby and his men are coming from the back...

We try to hold the lines but the enemy has a lot of troops...we lose a lot of men already...and it's not yet noon...