Helldivers, Playstation only

Started by Jarhead0331, March 18, 2015, 08:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I just picked up this little stick shooter tonight and it is f*cking AWESOME!

The story is basically a shameless rip-off of Starship Troopers.

You control a customizable soldier in top down combat zones that you choose to drop into from orbit. You can play cooperatively with up to 3 other players and this is how the game is clearly meant to be played. Still, you can play it by yourself, but I can see it getting pretty hard in solo mode.  As you fight and clear planets, the online global campaign map is updated. Your victories contribute to the success of the overall campaign. Casualties, both friendly and enemy are updated in real time and you can get updates on the progress of the war.

Obviously, as you fight, you gain experience and can purchase new armor, weapons, "strategems" (essentially card based power-ups, such as special weapons and off-map air support), and perks.

The game looks great, has a superb style and a lot of neat features.

HIGHLY recommend.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

W8taminute

Cool.  Gonna check out the Playstation Store tonight when I log in. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Jarhead0331

Did you get it W8? Its really awesome.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Tpek

I'll try to remember to check it out next time I'm bothered to play the PS :P

W8taminute

^^Not yet Jar but I'll check it tonight.  I got distracted by Terraria (my daughter wanted it) and then Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

W8taminute

Damn, I missed the PS+ free offer on this game.   :-[

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Yskonyn

To necro this: I picked it up and had a good laugh playing with Jarhead this afternoon. I reckon its even better when all players are on voicechat, but we didn't today.
As a lowbie it was pretty tough walking amongst other Helldivers at level 15, but no less had great fun.
Hope to see you again soon, JH. Its fun shooting alien scum in the face!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on August 30, 2015, 05:27:01 PM
To necro this: I picked it up and had a good laugh playing with Jarhead this afternoon. I reckon its even better when all players are on voicechat, but we didn't today.
As a lowbie it was pretty tough walking amongst other Helldivers at level 15, but no less had great fun.
Hope to see you again soon, JH. Its fun shooting alien scum in the face!

Hell yeah, bro! I'll try to find my headset tonight.

Quite frankly, I like playing with no more than 2 players. The difficulty really ramps up when 3 and 4 players join in. Not only do the enemies get tougher, but friendly fire can be a real bitch.  Then you get some idiots who refuse to move towards the objective, which results in aimlessly moving around the map increasing your time on planet and geometrically raising the odds in favor of failure.

That last game we played was so frustrating! I had survived against all odds for so long, and twice managed to survive long enough to call you guys back in...how am I rewarded? I get killed 5 seconds before the damn evac shuttle arrives! ARRRRRRRGGGHHH!!!

Glad you picked up this little gem and I really look forward to diving back into hell with you!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Yskonyn

Tonight was Destiny night for me. I am preparing for the next expansion on the 15th. The clan is pretty lively at the moment.

But I am looking forward to jump into Helldivers again with you. Yesterday was super fun, although those random guys didn't really work fluidly with us.
And my lowbie level didnt help things either. :)

Tpek

Psst....
Helldivers isn't PS4 only anymore.
It's coming to Steam soon enough :P

W8taminute

Picked up the game last night and played it a little this morning.  Man it is a fun game!   O0

Grimnirsson

QuoteTonight was Destiny night for me. I am preparing for the next expansion on the 15th.

Huh? Did I miss something? Do you mean you are playing today for the next expansion?  ???
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de