CS Middle East: High Water Mark (Saasa Ridge, Syria; 12 Oct 1973)

Started by Crossroads, November 04, 2017, 07:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Norhern Pincer Turn #5

Quote from: Crossroads on November 12, 2017, 06:36:33 AM
Onward and forward.

I won't bore you with the events at the Northern pincer, not much to report after the move-by-move back-and-forth of the Southern pincer.

Two things that I took care of, mainly:

Left: Like at gunnery range, the Centurion troops of the 'Barak' Armored and 71st Armored took turns neatly driving to those prepared positions 500m from the enemy bunkers, and took care of the priority targets there, starting with those remaining AT Guns.

Right: One of the hexes had clear visuals to Tel Shams heights as well, so Smoke or no Smoke, those Syrians there ended up paying a price too.

As the Tel Shams heights took priority, for it is such a commanding position, my tankers for most part used their Action points first dealing with that, then returning to that forward bunker position. Some Syrian infantry strength survived the turn, but not too many I suppose.

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Norhern Pincer Turn #5 Done

Quote from: Crossroads on November 12, 2017, 06:47:18 AM
As the Tel Shams heights took priority, for it is such a commanding position, my tankers for most part used their Action points first dealing with that, then returning to that forward bunker position. Some Syrian infantry strength survived the turn, but not too many I suppose.

I did leave one Patton troop with enough APs for one volley of Opportunity fire in that forward position. Just in case Berto risks his tanks (for he must have them, I've seen some moving about at distance!) coming forward.

To leave just one troop with defensive fire available is bit arrogant, but just role playing the arrogant IDF tankers of the 1973 here, right  :cowboy:

Next, after this screenshot, it was mostly about ensuring the unit facings are properly set, for we're playing with Armored Facing ON here. Also, I took care that none of the hexes were overstacked. More than 12SP per stack (Commanders not counting), and they start to take extensive damage on artillery strikes for instance.

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Crossroads

Israeli Turn #5 Done

And that's it.

Looking at Victory status, I clawed the VPs up to 105 points. Given that Tel Shams will fall to me eventually, I am close to achieving the Phase A objectives of having secured the Tel Shams area, and at that stage being at a Draw.

Definitively not counting my hatched chickens yet though. Berto plays a mean defense as you've seen, it will remain bloody going forward. But once I am able to breach his defense and to move to his rear, it will get nasty. Also, I do hope to take Tel Shams top soon. What an excellent place to FO ones artillery.

As for Artillery, I am in luck and all three batteries continue to be available. No Smoke missions this time, rather two strikes at Tel Shams height, and then a rolling barrage to his flanks with one strike per hex. Also, I plot on Air Strike on that Bunker position. Really need to clear it come next turn. Then I can move my infantry there, and they too then can spot for artillery from there.

I am sure Berto has other plans though. I do hope his armor remains passive for one more turn at least. There's a terrible amount of IDF tanks there, I do hope he assumes I have left them prepared for Opportunity Fire against his. I haven't.

Quite a gambit, as I want to clear his infantry from those well prepared positions. I am counting on those defensive Blocks and Minefields in front of Saasa Ridge to stop him from venturing forward though. So not complety gone bunkers here  :uglystupid2:

Here's the overview come end Israeli phase for Turn 5. Green circles mark my infantry, so vital, so few.

Still bogged down, but hopefully for not too long, says my radio message.

Over to Berto!

Crossroads

Israeli Turn #6 - Moving Forward, At Last!

Fall of Tel Shams seems imminent, said the intercepted Syrian radio message. It sure does, although that's not the point, creating a small pocket of Syrian defenders is. So hopefully they are still around there.

Syrian Turn #5 replay shows units shuffling into positions at Saasa Ridge, mostly, and a mortar barrage to Tel Shams top. Since my turn will begin with a proper barrage to that location too, seems there's no one around there then.

Here's the overview in the beginning of the Israeli Phase for Turn #6. Not much to see, one Syrian platoon at the southern slope (I am sure the reverse slopes are teaming with them!), and the hapless units that draw the lottery to guard that outpost blocking the road at the northern slope.

Crossroads

Tel Shams, Northern Slope

Quote from: Crossroads on November 14, 2017, 11:48:34 AM
the hapless units that draw the lottery to guard that outpost blocking the road at the northern slope.

... is no more. Road open! My Recce platoon dashes forward to the vacated bunker, leaving them with enough Action Points to perform a Dynamic Recce mission!

Crossroads

Tel Shams, Northern Slope, Cont'd

Quote from: Crossroads on November 14, 2017, 11:59:53 AM
Road open! My Recce platoon dashes forward to the vacated bunker, leaving them with enough Action Points to perform a Dynamic Recce mission!

Nothing there.

Time to check the beginning-of-turn statistics before moving further.

Victory points stand at 117, while the Strength report reminds me I've lost 13 tanks already. Syrians have paid a heavy price for that, obviously.

Crossroads

Tel Shams, Southern Slope

All quiet at the Northern slope, time to look at the Southern one next. I double-time my Combat Engineers, then check the Reachable Hexes ON, to see how far I can go. There's a Rough hex in front of me, that terrain type should provide me with cover for the inevitable hail of bullets from the ambushing Syrians there.

Forward I go, and right, there's a Heavy MG section and an Infantry platoon awaiting there. With the Terrain Effect Modifier protecting my troops, they survive the onslaught without any issues. They are out of APs themselves though, so need to take the next units forward.

The Patton Coy in close support is readily available, not to that position, but to cover my right flank. I fire a volley at the other infantry platoon there, starting with my Disrupted troop that would not be able to move closer to enemy anyway...

Crossroads

Tel Shams, Southern Slope, Cont'd

Quote from: Crossroads on November 14, 2017, 12:23:17 PM

The Patton Coy in close support is readily available, not to that position, but to cover my right flank. I fire a volley at the other infantry platoon there, starting with my Disrupted troop that would not be able to move closer to enemy anyway...

Moving then forward, taking incoming fire, but not casualties, I have two Patton troops firing first at the Recoilless Rifle team at right. Better start with those tank-hunters, first. Load HE ... Target down!

Repeating this a few times, I finish the action in this sector by bringing my halftracks on close support forward as well. No hits with their MGs, put should they survive the Syrian turn they are then available to dash forward to enemy territory in next turn.

Next turn, my Engineers and LMG section should also be available to move to Tel Shams top, where I believe they should be able to spot the pesky mortars somewhere out there.

Crossroads

Tel Shams, Northern Slope Done

With situation seemingly in control (where are Berto's tanks!) both at the northern and southern slope of Tel Shams, I start to move a couple of tank Coys forward, sniping at targets up there at Saasa Ridge.

There's the AT Gun battery, a Sagger team under a Smoke screen, and some MG units that get a reminder of IDF tankers gunnery skills. A few kills, but this time I am putting half of my available tanks on Opportunity Fire in case the Syrian armor finally decides to show up. For this purpose, I set the IDF tanks to fire at Long distance, for they are good at that.

Crossroads

Israeli Phase for Turn #6 Done

And that's pretty much it. I did move a few tracks to support the northern pincer as well, with APs saved for Opportunity Fire there too. Those Syrian tanks, they are there somewhere...

Time to plot the friendly artillery before sending the turn over though. This time around I had only one battery available, so plotted them at the Syrians near the Tel Shams top.

The two pincers are finally moving on, as neatly seen here. This is ambush country though, still not sure what's there behind Tel Shams, not until I finally take the top. So this time around I try to be more prudent, with units available with Opportunity Fire here and there, between the troops.

How long will Berto stay passive? Time for a counter attack?

I guess we'll learn that soon. Time to send over, then, with this friendly note attached to my PBEM file:

QuoteDear Syrians,

Is there not a rock out there that does not hide a tank-hunter team? If there are, please mark them with green flares.

Best regards, Your friendly neighbours the Israelis

Crossroads

Israeli Phase for Turn #6 - Strength and Victory Reports

The Syrian losses are mounting up, that's almost two Coys worth of infantry he's lost, together with some AT Guns and other assets. No friendly losses during my phase, I'll soon find out about the Syrian phase though. I've lost a Coy worth of tanks on my behalf, so this has been anything but a joyride so far.

Victory points are up to 135 now, and I'll take the 100VP Objective next turn. First phase of the Saasa Operation is drawing towards its close, while the actual task of dashing towards Saasa and Damascus Exit Hex is about to begin. There's eight turns remaining, let us see how far I can get...

Crossroads

Israeli Turn #7 - Situation Normal

Hmmm. Syrian Phase for Turn #6 arrived, with a friendly note from Syrians telling us to leave their lawn. Lawn? All I see are rocks and incoming fire...

And so it is. Notably, a (un)lucky Syrian artillery mission wipes out completely one of the Engineer platoons at Tel Shams  :o Then, Syrian tankers show up from Tel Shams reverse slope to take out another Patton. Well at least they are there!

Into friendly phase, where Situation remains Normal as my Airstrike performs a blue-on-blue attack on my Pattons and takes out two of them.  :buck2:

But at least I know now the Syrians have not run away, which was the whole point about Operation Tel Shams in the first place!

With more eyes on ground, this is how Turn #7 opens up. Targets! Plenty of them!  :knuppel2:

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on November 16, 2017, 11:10:55 AM
Notably, a (un)lucky Syrian artillery mission wipes out completely one of the Engineer platoons at Tel Shams  :o Then, Syrian tankers show up from Tel Shams reverse slope to take out another Patton. Well at least they are there!

I have lost a whopping 60VPs since the end of the previous Israeli Phase  :(

Here's the Strength and Victory reports. Strength report tells me I am down 16 runners (!), while the Victory report tells me I've got some catching up to do!

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on November 16, 2017, 11:14:49 AM
Here's the Strength and Victory reports. Strength report tells me I am down 16 runners (!), while the Victory report tells me I've got some catching up to do!

Better get into it, then!

Southern pincer first.

Time to finally take that objective at Tel Shams, so I order an Engineer platoon and LMG section to move there at once.

Having done that, and having triggered no OpFire ( :bd: ), the LMGs squad opens up at the enemy Mortar section in the reverse slope. A hit, and a retreat. That done, I have the Engineers creating a Smoke cover for them, to protect them from a world of pain the Syrian phase is certain to bring at them.

That done, time to perform the routine of having the Pattons at close support firing at the hapless Syrians at front of them. Lots of bad die rolls, in the spirit of this turn, but a couple of kills and some retreats, which would open a route ahead for my Recce. That Rough hex should provide them both with good cover, and an excellent position for some dynamic recon again  :smitten:

Crossroads

Quote from: Crossroads on November 16, 2017, 11:35:33 AM
That Rough hex should provide them both with good cover, and an excellent position for some dynamic recon again  :smitten:

Not so  :buck2: There was a Syrian AAA section there, just waiting for a proper opportunity to hit at some ground targets. My Recon platoon takes a 1SP casualty and a retreat, so much for their turn.

Having finished with the southern slope, it is time for the northern pincer to do their deeds. First, Recces move forward a bit, performing a dynamic recon then. Nothing new out there.

Then, Barak Armored's Chieftains forward. Load HE! And so it goes, a couple of kills here as well.

Time for plotting the friendly artillery for the next turn, with two batteries available this time, and then to review the butchers bill...