Call of Duty WW2 Free open beta this weekend on Steam.

Started by AchillesLastStand, September 26, 2017, 01:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

Well, I haven't played much of it because

• IThe time I did spend in it, I was trying to get rid of the stuttering
  • My daughter and her boyfriend are down from Uni and he was playing it - and completed it!!

I did manage to reduce the stuttering considerably by reducing Shadow Map Res from Extra to High and switching off Motion Blur. It's still there a wee bit when all hell is breaking loose, but it's significantly reduced. It was hellish when I first played.

Gus - I don't know if you messed with the settings at all. If you didn't that's may be why you had no stuttering. I whacked everything to max - so toning things down was expected given my system

Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz
8GB Ram
3GB AMD Radeon HD 7900 series
SSD Drive

I haven't seen much in the way of others suffering from it - so I've got to put it down to my system.

What I got from my initial play was as I mentioned earlier - it's CoD. Nothing more. However, on completing the game, my daughters boyfriend said it was very, very good and the game did change from "the usual" as you progressed. He also mentioned a PITA mission where you have to be stealthy.

I jumped into an online game briefly and was very disappointed to be shot by someone bunny hopping round a corner. I think I gave up gaming online around 10 or more years ago and one of the infuriating things at the time was bunny hopping. So sad to see it's still here.

However, I did also jump into the Zombie co-op play and that was pretty enjoyable.

So a mixed bag at the minute. He liked it - though he's younger and not as grumpy as me - and I just saw CoD - albeit from a brief play. Online was deflating and co-op was kinda fun.

I'll be playing this through the week and give my own impressions by the weekend.

Oh - and there's 12 hours logged in the game. I reckon given a couple of hours of me playing and messing with the settings, it took him around 10 hours to complete on Regular difficulty which was as reported.
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

I have about an hour and half into it, which is basically the first two missions or so.....just turned out to be a busy weekend so had limited time.

Some initial thoughts....

- Throughout this time, have seen no stuttering or graphical issues....but I did not adjust them either.  They looked great on default for me.

-  So far have enjoyed myself but I had limited expectations.  No regrets in buying, but I did buy it for $40 something versus the full price so that makes me feel better:)  I have always enjoy the WW2 setting so even if not perfect, worth playing through in my opinion.

-  It's a little too cinematic/story telling for me so far.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good story but I would rather be running and gunning most of the time.

-  Because of the story, I feel very confined in my actions...seems very linear to me and you really get lead around on what you need to do.  Maybe that opens up later, but right now I kind of feel I am along for the ride.  Can't see there being much replay value in the single player game, which is OK with me since I rarely even finish one time through on these games.

-  As JD mentioned, very much a COD game...very loud, fast, and dizzying.  Even so much, I get a little motion sickness, which I have gotten in every COD game for some reason...but not most other shooters.

Overall, really no surprises for me...never thought it would be the game of the year and I really just wanted a decent WW2 shooter game....and I think think it has accomplished that for me so far.  Certainly see myself finishing this one.

Now do I take the same plunge with upcoming Star Wars Battlefront II :)

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 05, 2017, 06:37:50 PM
Overall, really no surprises for me...never thought it would be the game of the year and I really just wanted a decent WW2 shooter game....and I think think it has accomplished that for me so far.  Certainly see myself finishing this one.
My thoughts exactly after playing the D-Dy chapter. However, apparently the mechanics change somewhat. I'm sure it's still going to be on rails but in all honesty I never thought it would be otherwise.

Give the Zombie co-op game a go. Rather annoyingly everytime you fire up the zombie game, it "seems" to hang...it doesn't, you've just got to ALT-TAB to Steam which is informing you the game is running a command line parameter (to load MP in zombie mode). I say everytime because there's no way to say "Thanks Steam, but this is fine and don't bother telling me again"...it really does tell you everytime you run zombie mode. At least if you got the game on Steam.

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 05, 2017, 06:37:50 PM
Now do I take the same plunge with upcoming Star Wars Battlefront II :)
Erm...yes? Don't leave me on my own fellow sick grog buddy  :coolsmiley:
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

battlefront 2 will be hard to pass up being a big star wars fan":(

JudgeDredd

Single player part of this review mimics my view - almost to a word

I did enjoy dipping into Zombie co-op mode.
Alba gu' brath