Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Don't you owe a few articles already? :P

mirth

Quote from: BC on June 23, 2017, 03:51:22 PM

I made the trip to Origins and ran games. You?  :D
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 23, 2017, 03:05:55 PM
we demand an AAR! :D

That might be easier with the Vassal version.  :buck2:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on June 23, 2017, 03:53:22 PM
I made the trip to Origins and ran games. You?  :D

(grumble) no....

bayonetbrant

Quote from: BC on June 23, 2017, 03:51:22 PM

technically he owes "article" (singular)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: Arctic Blast on June 22, 2017, 11:45:51 PM

At a very base level it's Risk-like, but there is a whole Hell of a lot more going on. The strength of the game is the 100% asymmetry of it. Every single faction is 100% unique, from special ability to Great Old One (who has their own summoning requirement, special ability and combat abilities) and monster pool. You need to score Doom (primarily by controlling gates). You also need to unlock your 6 faction spellbooks (unique to each faction, as are the spellbook unlock requirements) to be eligible to win. It's less about overall map control and more about playing to your strengths and to your opponents weaknesses. So, while Cthulhu benefits from just walking up and slapping opponents in the face, Yellow Sign is off almost trying to play their own game by despoiling regions and hoping nobody comes to stop them. Crawling Chaos is about gate control and opening up spellbook abilities that make them a complete dick to come after. Black Goat is about spreading out. And so on.

Most of the non-Earth boards also include special board effects. for instance, the Yuggoth board allows the controller of the Lab region to convert Cultists into brain cylinders (Cultists and brain cylinders produce power and can control gates, so converting to cylinders lets you take cultists off the board who can now he re-summoned and give you more power. Unfortunately, brain cylinders are immobile and can be seized easily by rival factions if you don't guard them, which means less force available to do other things on the board). The controller of the Slime Sea Overlook to recruit Slime Mould monsters (plus : they're dirt cheap and effective. Minus : if anyone takes the overlook from you, they immediately take control of all of the Slime Moulds you already summoned). Those who build gates on the Green Pyramid to earn bonus power (minus : you run the risk of awakening the Pyramid Guardian, who just runs amok and Hulk smashes all of you on the board until he's put down). So you have to consider those things as well.

It has quickly become my favorite game that I own. But it's so expensive that it's very hard to recommend.

Sounds like it's game play took a lot of inspiration from FFG's older Chaos In The Old World.   O0

Arctic Blast

^^Definitely some similarities.

ArizonaTank

Couldn't resist putting this on the table.  Jumped ahead of so many other waiting games....

Target for Today

I like that the rules are in mission order, so you can just read through as you play your first mission, tutorial style.

B-17G  "Crap Shoot" pilot Joe Kelly
Friday, December 1st, 1944. Target Alm oil refinery, fighter cover good until the target, then poor
So far, takeoff, great weather, no mishaps

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GJK

Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Silent Disapproval Robot

I tried out No Retreat! today.  I didn't expect the winter rules to be quite so harsh so I was stopped well short of Moscow.  Fun game and easy to play.  Think I overdid it on board games this week though.  Played every day but Friday.  I think I need to limit myself to twice per week max and get my ass to the gym.

BanzaiCat

Staggerwing

Why isn't this an unboxing thread already?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

^ I might do an unboxing video of it, but that'll have to wait until I get home...

...BTW, it's unpunched!  :D

Crossroads

Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 03, 2017, 07:32:28 PM
^ I might do an unboxing video of it, but that'll have to wait until I get home...

...BTW, it's unpunched!  :D

Yes please!  :bd:
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

ArizonaTank

My new wargaming guilty pleasure:  "Invasion of the Air Eaters".  Actually, quite a good game for its size.  The aliens can go after destroying human units, industry or sucking up the air.  The humans have to do R&D fast enough so they can get units that can at least scratch the aliens paint.  This is a vassal game with one of my old friends...aliens are starting to take it on the chin...but the game is far from a human win.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.