At The Gates Makes It!

Started by Bismarck, March 08, 2013, 10:29:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJReich46

I saw something about Shafer was going to make an announcement I think it was on reddit last night (?); however, I am glad to hear it he's finally finishing it.

" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

RedArgo

Saw this link to Jon Schaffer's blog on Qto3.

https://jonshaferondesign.com/2019/01/09/how-at-the-gates-took-7-years-of-my-life-and-nearly-the-rest/

Looks like he had some tough times, hopefully coming out stronger at the end.

Jarhead0331

I'm hard-pressed to find the excitement in this one...it doesn't look all that impressive when compared to the paradox titles, or even to the Civ games. It seems to incorporate a few neat ideas, but I don't see these being implemented across the game system and they almost come across as gimmicky to me.

I hope its really good because we can never have too many 4x options, but there is just little I have seen about this one that excites me...

I know I should keep my mouth shut on this, but I'm also finding it hard to be sympathetic about the whole development struggle. I mean, Shafer beat his drug addiction and I'm really happy for him about that. I'm also happy that he is living a healthier balanced life style now.  However, something about blaming the stress of game development on leading to a very long development cycle and an unhealthy, dangerous lifestyle/drug addiction rubs me the wrong way. I'll leave it at that for now.

Anyway, I hope the game is successful and that we are able to see more from Shafer in the future. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Steelgrave

Yeah, best of luck to Shafer and I hope his future blossoms, but this game looked more way more exciting to me back in 2013.

RedArgo

Quote from: Steelgrave on January 14, 2019, 10:40:28 AM
Yeah, best of luck to Shafer and I hope his future blossoms, but this game looked more way more exciting to me back in 2013.

My thoughts exactly.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 14, 2019, 09:58:44 AM
I'm hard-pressed to find the excitement in this one...it doesn't look all that impressive when compared to the paradox titles, or even to the Civ games. It seems to incorporate a few neat ideas, but I don't see these being implemented across the game system and they almost come across as gimmicky to me.

I hope its really good because we can never have too many 4x options, but there is just little I have seen about this one that excites me...

I know I should keep my mouth shut on this, but I'm also finding it hard to be sympathetic about the whole development struggle. I mean, Shafer beat his drug addiction and I'm really happy for him about that. I'm also happy that he is living a healthier balanced life style now.  However, something about blaming the stress of game development on leading to a very long development cycle and an unhealthy, dangerous lifestyle/drug addiction rubs me the wrong way. I'll leave it at that for now.

Anyway, I hope the game is successful and that we are able to see more from Shafer in the future.

Similar feelings as myself.  I absolutely wish him the best and glad to see he worked himself out of dark places.  But I would be lying if I said his history didn't worry me.  If I were to buy the game, I would be concerned about his long term commitment, ability to get out timely patches, and provide future expansions.  Certainly a game not buying at first, will wait to see reviews and actual commitment....plus, how much plans to charge for it.

Tpek

The game is out on Steam.

Has anyone here tried it already?

JasonPratt

Release asking price is $27.

I'm a sucker for games like this, but I'll be waiting until I've played some other things in my stable first.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Grim.Reaper

I will need to see reviews first and commitment to the support.  Does intrigue me though.

Tpek

Found a review via the Steam forum:

Jarhead0331

its also reviewed at RPS. No homosexual undertones or gender/sex identity issues  in game though, so the review is lukewarm.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Huw the Poo

You mean you can't have an empire of fat genderfluid women with pink and blue hair?!  RPS must hate it!

glen55

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 23, 2019, 05:55:25 PM
its also reviewed at RPS. No homosexual undertones or gender/sex identity issues  in game though, so the review is lukewarm.

I think "lukewarm" is an optimistic assessment: they think it's boring.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/01/23/jon-shafers-at-the-gates-review/

Although, to tell the truth, "slow pace" is typically not an issue with me, so long as it has a pace.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Kushan

Watched parts of a few reviews, not really impressed enough to bite the bullet on it right now.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play