Dom 3 slow game (2 day turnaround)[closed]

Started by Yskonyn, March 04, 2013, 01:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phobos

Sounds good.  I might try Bogarus.  If someone else wants them, I could try Pangaea, Man or something else.

parone

ill take ctis in EA or LA if no one else wants em.

JasonPratt

Sweet!

(Now all we need is a 3rd mp game with MA...  ;D)

I had originally made a floating call for whichever was left over out of Mankind's Towers of Chelms, the Human Jomon Daimyos, or Ermor's Ashen Empires (because hey I might as well win. :D) Whoever first chose the other two, I'd auto-take the third, and if no one took those picks I'd choose whichever seems to best balance the other chosen factions. (I've never played any LA factions at all, btw.)

In alphabetical order thus far:

Airboy: called Abysia for EA, so may or may not still be playing LA Abysia's Blood of Humans, mostly blood mages with some fire giants.

Birdyman: goes with Midgard, the LA version of Vanheim, somewhat balancing against Utgard if Corwin decides to take the LA Niefels.

Corwin123: currently unknown, wanted to play Niefelheim in EA. Utgard the Well of Urd would be their descendants in LA. Lots of frost giants, some vikings and witches, very scary on the field. No bows or heavy cav, but their version of light cav probably counts as anyone else's heavy cav! They're also the only faction that can throw the spell named after Dom3's developers, "Illwinter".  8) If Corwin still wants to play Niefel, this will certainly be the recommended faction.

Huw the Poo: wins with the Ashen Empire (unless maybe Bogarus can stop him).  ;D

JasonPratt: Based on the list so far (Sat afternoon 2:00 my time), with the Ashen Empire taken and a lot of western human factions on the board, I've decided to go with the eastern human Jomon Daimyos, the samurai faction. HITEN MITSURYUGI STYLE, AMAKAKERU RYO NO HIRAMEKI!

Parone: goes with C'tis, the mummy lizards of the Desert Tombs!  8)

Phobos: Bogarus (a nation added in the 3.14 patch, so not mentioned in the printed instructions, probably). Basically Dom3's version of medieval Russian Orthodox, mixed with some pagan Russian mythology. A fine choice, and one of the relatively more ethical factions. Possibly our only hope against the Ashen Empire.

Undercovergeek: picks Black Forest Ulm, basically the westward next door neighbors of Bogarus. Relatively little magic (kind of death oriented), lots of ironclad (and foresty) buttkicking.

Yskonyn (the game host): still unknown

That's nine players so far (not counting whoever may join the game after this post) -- have I missed any?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

Jason, thanks for the summary.  Would you mind if I took Ermor?  I'm playing early age Ermor in the other game so I think it might be fun and educational to see how they are late age too.

byrdman57

Hi There, I was referred to this thread from the Desura forums. I've never played a multiplayer Dom3 game before, but if you're accepting of newbs, I'd like to join. I'd be interested in playing Midgard if no one has picked that one yet. Thanks.

undercovergeek

welcome byrdman - is that 9 now?

keep an eye on the first post for Yskonyn's updates and when we kick off

Huw the Poo

Hi Byrdman, welcome to Grogheads!  Thanks for signing up.  Don't worry, you won't be the only noob in this game. :)

JasonPratt

Quote from: Huw the Poo on March 09, 2013, 11:01:51 AM
Jason, thanks for the summary.  Would you mind if I took Ermor?  I'm playing early age Ermor in the other game so I think it might be fun and educational to see how they are late age too.

They are a LOT different in Late Age! And balance out the Rus faction, too -- I was thinking of taking them for that reason if no one else did first.

Birdyman, Midgard is still uncalled, so I'll add you to the later list a couple posts back (from which Ys will update the first post eventually.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Note: with nine factions we should choose or generate a map not much larger than ((6x2) + (6x1) + 1) * 9) == (((6x3)+1)*9) == 19x9 == 171 provinces. If we want to average no more than two free steps from home base in any direction.

Or if we want to average three free steps from home base in any direction, ((6x3) + (6x2) + (6x1) + 1) * 9) == (((6x6)+1)*9) == 37x9 == 333 provinces.

JasonPratt

199 land + 22 sea.

Still a bit big for 9 players on only a two step stretch, but a lot more crowded (relatively) on a three step stretch.

Still, a three step stretch means every player has 37 provinces (in theory) to work with. Even 19 provinces is a lot of room, until you start bumping into someone else sending out scouts only two steps from their home. ;)

Put another way, on Cradle every player (in a set of 9) would have an average of 22 land provinces. That's bigger than a two step radius, but not much.

Midgard gets easy sea travel, though!

undercovergeek

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 09, 2013, 03:40:29 PM
199 land + 22 sea.

Still a bit big for 9 players on only a two step stretch, but a lot more crowded (relatively) on a three step stretch.

Still, a three step stretch means every player has 37 provinces (in theory) to work with. Even 19 provinces is a lot of room, until you start bumping into someone else sending out scouts only two steps from their home. ;)

Put another way, on Cradle every player (in a set of 9) would have an average of 22 land provinces. That's bigger than a two step radius, but not much.

Midgard gets easy sea travel, though!

how long do we want to leave the door open?

Huw the Poo

Yeah we have a decent number now.  God knows I'm ready.

parone

9 is no where near enough on cradle.  but there are plenty of smaller maps if we want to go with 9.  they wont be all that balanced, but honestly, you need like 15 for cradle(or more)