Main Menu

Recent posts

Computer Gaming / Re: Headquarters: World War II
Last post by Grimnirsson - Today at 12:08:52 AM
Pete and al, thanks for the reply.

QuoteIt's an odd system for sure, but I think it works as an abstraction.

Very odd indeed, I mean what's the point? If you have a tank and it has the typical armor, weapon etc. values why using a crew at all - if you can magically revive them anyway? That's not an abstraction that's nonsense in the WW2 setting.

I will think about that and decide if I can swallow this odd design decision. On the whole the game looks promising...
Current Events / Re: Russia's War Against Ukrai...
Last post by Uberhaus - Yesterday at 11:40:29 PM
It would be nice to see NATO frustrate Russia by shooting down drones and missiles launched against civilian targets. 

CNN had, I believe, General W. Clark on talking about how Ukraine had much more area to cover with AD, compared to Israel.
Computer Gaming / Re: Headquarters: World War II
Last post by Skoop - Yesterday at 08:58:44 PM
I played the beta and the system just didn't grab me.  They should have taken the nice graphics and bolted it onto second front's gameplay, that would sound like a banger.
Current Events / Re: Israel
Last post by GDS_Starfury - Yesterday at 08:30:34 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on Yesterday at 08:17:52 PMTrue! -- but also, what message does the Jordanian help send? Is that a diplomatic shift in the region?

Israel and Jordan have had treaties for a while and the Saudis would like to get normalized relations as they have to begin moving away from being a petro state.
Last post by JasonPratt - Yesterday at 08:17:52 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on April 13, 2024, 10:00:51 PMI like the RAF and USAF involvement.   :smitten:

it sends many messages to many people

True! -- but also, what message does the Jordanian help send? Is that a diplomatic shift in the region?
Enigmas of the Mystical / Re: A feel good thread
Last post by Gusington - Yesterday at 07:56:49 PM
Why do you hate my happiness?
Last post by GDS_Starfury - Yesterday at 07:18:47 PM
I bet your fun at happy hour.
Last post by Jarhead0331 - Yesterday at 06:41:49 PM
Personally, I never think war is a laughing matter and to mock your enemies is the first step to underestimating their capabilities. A regime like Iran only needs to get lucky once in order to inflict real damage. Remember, on February 25, 1991, a single Iraqi Scud missile got through defenses and managed to demolish a makeshift United States barracks in Dhahran that housed more than 100 American troops. 28 American soldiers were killed, 110 were hospitalized and 150 experienced physical injuries.  This one Scud's impact accounted for more than a third of all US soldiers killed during the Gulf War. Needless to say, I find these kinds of social media posts and images/gifs to be very immature and unbecoming.

The threat posed by Iran has never been one of conventional weapon systems, so it does not come as any real surprise that the missile and drone attack was largely ineffective...although you can be assured that those on the ground in harms way probably weren't telling jokes and making memes on their computers while the sirens were blaring.

According to the Defense Intelligence Agency, Iran has adapted its military capabilities and doctrine to account for developments by the United States and its allies. Although still technologically inferior to most of its competitors, the DIA notes that the Iranian military has progressed substantially over the past few decades.  Iran's use of unconventional warfare elements, proxy forces and asymmetric capabilities pose a persistent threat. Furthermore, each of these forces are becoming increasingly survivable, precise, and responsive. We've already seen how Iranian attacks and those of their proxies can impact global shipping and thereby the entire world economy. Not so much of a laughing matter in my view.