Drone crashes on White House lawn

Started by steve58, January 26, 2015, 06:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

So, a "government employee" flying a drone for fun over the WH at 3am??

WASHINGTON –  A man has claimed responsibility for the drone that crashed onto the White House grounds early Monday, an incident that triggered an immediate lockdown and a Secret Service investigation.

Secret Service spokeswoman Nicole B. Mainor said the individual contacted the agency Monday morning to "self-report" the incident. According to Mainor, "initial indications are that this incident occurred as a result of recreational use of the device."

A U.S. official told The Associated Press the man said he didn't mean to fly the drone over the White House; he is said to be cooperating with investigators. The New York Times reported he is a government employee, though he does not work for the White House.

"This investigation continues as the Secret Service conducts corroborative interviews, forensic examinations and reviews all other investigative leads," Mainor said, adding that the case will be presented to the U.S. attorney's office in D.C. for a decision on possible prosecution.

The development comes after the two-foot-long "quadcopter" drone crash-landed onto the grounds overnight. Brian Leary, a Secret Service spokesman, said that an officer posted on the south grounds of the White House complex "heard and observed" the device "flying at a very low altitude" shortly after 3 a.m. ET. Leary said the drone ultimately crashed on the southeast side of the complex.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/01/26/obama-spokesman-says-device-found-on-white-house-grounds-poses-no-threat/?intcmp=latestnews
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

jejo68

So maybe now there will be Laws in place to protect land owners from those pesky drones  :)

JasonPratt

Mom and I are convinced the drones will be entirely outlawed sooner or later; and this is a step toward sooner rather than later. ;)

Which will reek, since I Kickstarted a drone package due this year...  :buck2:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

See also: reasons why we don't have flying cars yet in 2015.

(We do, we've had flying cars since the 50s, maybe a bit earlier; they aren't even super-expensive, anyone can buy one at any time for around $50K (or even as little as $10K), and they work great. And are horribly, horribly dangerous. Not always to the people they're supposed to be dangerous to.  :)) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

jejo68

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 27, 2015, 01:30:41 PM
Mom and I are convinced the drones will be entirely outlawed sooner or later; and this is a step toward sooner rather than later. ;)

No need to outlaw them just make it illegal to fly over lower then say 100m over your property without prior consent.

LongBlade

The hilarious part is that it was being flown by a drunken government employee from one of our spy agencies...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/28/us/white-house-drone.html?_r=0
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

Quote from: LongBlade on January 28, 2015, 11:14:40 AM
The hilarious part is that it was being flown by a drunken government employee from one of our spy agencies...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/28/us/white-house-drone.html?_r=0

If were the President, I'd be thinking about private security.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Greybriar

I wonder what the reactions would have been if small drones had been employed under similar circumstances in Russia and North Korea in the vicinity of Putin and Jong-un.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Greybriar on January 28, 2015, 01:54:51 PM
I wonder what the reactions would have been if small drones had been employed under similar circumstances in Russia and North Korea in the vicinity of Putin and Jong-un.

In Putinist Russia, drone flies you (to the Reeducation camp/gulag)!

JasonPratt

Quote from: jejo68 on January 28, 2015, 06:41:36 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on January 27, 2015, 01:30:41 PM

No need to outlaw them just make it illegal to fly over lower then say 100m over your property without prior consent.

They're still too dangerous. Not the blades so much, but what can be attached to them, or done with them by accident or on purpose to mess with people or things.

It's probably good that I'm not a supervillain.  >:D