American Sniper

Started by Sir Slash, January 16, 2015, 11:17:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I think a lot of the reaction is down to the fact that the film has now become politicized due to the douchey comments from Michael Moore and Seth Rogan and the way the right wing media decided to make it a talking point.  Idiots both both sides are now announcing their like or dislike of the film as a way to show their political affiliation. 

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 26, 2015, 03:56:10 PM
I think a lot of the reaction is due to the fact that the film has now become politicized due to the douchey comments from Michael Moore and Seth Rogan and the way the right wing media decided to make it a talking point.  Idiots both both sides are now announcing their like or dislike of the film as a way to show their political affiliation.

+1

mirth

I think this an excellent review of American Sniper. It's fair and highlights the qualities of the film.

http://www.npr.org/2015/01/28/382157425/full-of-complexity-and-ambivalence-american-sniper-shows-the-cost-of-war

I recommend listening to the audio and not just reading the transcript.

The more I consider the movie and Cooper's performance, the greater my appreciation becomes. I need to see it again.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

GDS_Starfury

I can see that pretty clearly.  I think the biggest problem I had seeing the movie was reading everyone elses opinions about it first.
its also a very rare case of seeing a movie based on a book without reading the book first.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

I haven't read the book either. Plan to now.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

GDS_Starfury

are you getting the pop up book?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

BanzaiCat

I'd love to read the book - especially a pop-up version - but considering how Hollywood butchers books for movies, I'd probably be even more disappointed in the film.

TacticalWargames

I preferred Lone survivor. I'm sure both films have had the Hollywood treatment..but LS was a good watch. Great intense action.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I kept replacing Marky Mark with Wile E. Coyote in my mind as I watched Lone Survivor.  How many cliffs did he fall off of?  I kinda hoped he'd put out some bird seed and try to drop an anvil on the Taliban.

TacticalWargames

Hehe..yeah I know..but still good intense action. Why they let them go in the first place I've no idea.