Examina...medieval sword combat

Started by mikeck, May 17, 2017, 12:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Anyone playing this? I didn't know about it. It's a "prequel" to a game called "Sui Generis". In and of itself, it's basically a dungeon crawl, but what is unique is the combat. It's mostly 1 v1 but it's all physics based. Swing a heavy axe and it pulls your body around. Strike the enemies shield and it knocks him back. Better still is that you have to move your body properly and the various mouse movements direct your swing. So you need to step back and one way if you are swinging the other or your shoulders will turn exposing your back. It's very intricate and the smoothness and fluidity of it is amazing. The video below is just arena practice combat (and just brutal kills at that) but shows what I mean. Watch a few so you can at least see one of the slow motion kills. The characters hair sways with movement and everything.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VLYj9JfK4-Y

Edit: fight at 3:00 shows what happens when you over swing
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Nice find...never heard of it and don't already own it. Both very rare circumstances.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

I've had it in my Steam cart for a while. The swordplay and other animations are pretty amazing. I had planned on getting it once it became a little more fleshed out.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

There is a single player campaign involving multiple dungeon levels.

Check this out...THIS is how a sword fight in plate male should look and sound like

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RJhJtE5CzFw

I'm trying to learn to fight but it's tough. Have to get your footwork to match the swing type. I keep stepping into the bad guy for a thrust only to have him sidestep, know my polearm to the ground and then uppercut me. That or I swing, miss and catch a counter thrust to the grill. Hell, ide pay for this game just for the arena
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Gusington

'Plate mail' - 'plate male' is not something you want.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Can you target specific points on the body? If you strike someone in the arm or leg, does it affect them as you would expect? Are there decapitations, amputations, location specific injuries, etc.?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 17, 2017, 02:25:58 PM
Can you target specific points on the body? If you strike someone in the arm or leg, does it affect them as you would expect? Are there decapitations, amputations, location specific injuries, etc.?

You and your questions. As if you aren't going to buy it.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mirth on May 17, 2017, 02:31:03 PM

You know me better than I know myself.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mikeck

Quote from: Gusington on May 17, 2017, 02:17:47 PM
'Plate mail' - 'plate male' is not something you want.

Text talk spells as it wills

mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 17, 2017, 02:46:55 PM
Quote from: mirth on May 17, 2017, 02:31:03 PM

You know me better than I know myself.

Looking forward to your impressions of it :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

Can't wait to see a lightsaber mod.  :D
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mikeck

I haven't seen amputations or decapitations but the physics is there.  meaning if you hit someone in the right arm they drop that arm and lean over. In one video and ogre hits a guy in his legs and it flips them up in the air and he Lands on his back. It's all fairly realistic physics-based.  Hit someone hard in the back and they stumble forward.

I don't think you can target specific body parts per say. You can swing down word or thrust straightforward or swing laterally which would make you more likely to hit the head where is a downward swing might hit the abdomen. That type of thing. But you can't specifically aimed for the right leg or something.    Now what you can do is wait for him to swing move to the right and then swing to the left in a downward angle at which point your level to hit his upper right leg. It's all movement of your character and timing of swings. It's not an ideal system but it's the best one I've seen really

jomni

Cool!  You can play as a fat lady.  You can't do that in many games these days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q25IZy7ogJ0

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!