Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

German round that penetrated Texas off Normandy, but did not explode.
I don't know if anyone has looked at this, but many german large caliber rounds did not detonate.  Prince of Wales was struck four times (?) at Denmark Straits, and only one had a partial detonation.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

QuoteThe French navy frigate FS Cassard (D614) breaks away from alongside the aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77)

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

What, the GHW Bush didn't have any Grey Poupon?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Steelgrave

Quote from: mirth on May 17, 2016, 11:39:41 AM
QuoteThe French navy frigate FS Cassard (D614) breaks away from alongside the aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush (CVN 77)

Practicing retreating?

mirth

^The French don't need to practice that
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Steelgrave

Quote from: mirth on May 17, 2016, 08:05:21 PM

At least they didn't practice scuttling the damn ship. There is that.

mirth

Quote from: Steelgrave on May 17, 2016, 08:45:07 PM
Quote from: mirth on May 17, 2016, 08:05:21 PM

At least they didn't practice scuttling the damn ship. There is that.

Heh. There is that. The French Navy is significantly more capable than the Royal Navy these days. Yet somehow I think the French would find a way to lose a stand up fight.

mirth

QuoteThe New Jersey (BB-62) follows the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier Enterprise (CVN-65) during Fleet Exercise '89, on 14 Oct 1989

mirth

mirth

QuoteSailors from the Perch (APSS-313) chipping the ice from the deck in Bristol Bay, January 1950. The ice was so thick the Perch couldn't dive.

bob48

Only 3 poor buggers? I bet they were on a defaulters list :-)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Barthheart

What a bizarre looking ice formation...?  :o Looks like a bunch of dinner plates frozen together... :idiot2:

Staggerwing

Quote from: Barthheart on May 18, 2016, 11:39:04 AM
What a bizarre looking ice formation...?  :o Looks like a bunch of dinner plates frozen together... :idiot2:

Doesn't that have something to do with the salinity and how fast the ice formed?

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

bob48

...and super-saturated solutions at low temperatures?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

Quote from: bob48 on May 18, 2016, 05:38:14 PM
...and super-saturated solutions at low temperatures?

Is this in anyway related to how one makes 'Rock Candy' (for those old enough to know what that is)?