Ships!

Started by mirth, April 28, 2013, 09:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airborne Rifles

I guess the connection I was making was to their WWII carriers. Didn't know where the names actually came from.

mirth

Quote from: Airborne Rifles on September 03, 2015, 02:08:30 PM
I guess the connection I was making was to their WWII carriers. Didn't know where the names actually came from.

I get what you were going for ;) Kaga seems like a pretty bold statement, given the history tied to the name.

Your comment made me curious as to what the naming convention for the class might be so I started digging into it a bit.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Only two of the class are planned, so it's unlikely we'll see an Akagi or Shinano.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Airborne Rifles

That's just because their putting their effort towards ships that turn in to giant robots.

mirth

I fully endorse that endeavor.

besilarius

If they justified Kaga as being named for a province.  (Which was their normal procedure for battleships.  Kaga was laid down as a battleship before the Washington Treaty limited the production.)
Akagi, which I'm pretty certain means Red Castle, would be hard to justify.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

mirth

I don't think they were necessarily trying to justify anything and I don't know for certain that is the naming convention for the class. Izumo and Kaga both happen to be old province names. It's somewhat telling that they picked Kaga since there are many old province names to choose from. It's a not so subtle message about the true nature of the ships.

The ships of the previous class of "helicopter destroyers" were also named for old provinces - Hyuga and Ise. Both names were also used for World War 2 era IJN battleships.

Names aside, the Japanese now have four baby carriers that could be outfitted to operate fixed-wing VSTOL/STOVL aircraft.

mirth

QuoteThe Admirable Class Minesweeper USS Spectacle (AM-305) maneuvers through some snotty weather en route to Iwo Jima, where she would be credited with sinking seven Shin'yō suicide boats and shooting down one G4M "Betty" bomber before being kamikazed and badly damaged.

http://www.hazegray.org/danfs/mine/am305.htm

mirth

QuoteProject Lehi: USS King County (AG-157) with a mockup of the deck of USS Halibut on it, Testing the Regulus II missile system..

Album here - http://imgur.com/a/mvJAN

Centurion40

Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

Steelgrave

Quote from: mirth on September 03, 2015, 05:42:40 PM
Names aside, the Japanese now have four baby carriers that could be outfitted to operate fixed-wing VSTOL/STOVL aircraft.

Suck it, China!   :knuppel2:

mirth

Quote from: Steelgrave on September 04, 2015, 05:31:54 PM

Exactly.

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on September 04, 2015, 06:44:05 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on September 04, 2015, 05:31:54 PM

Exactly.

Especially since Japan is one of a very small number of countries that has a blue-water carrier-backbone wartime naval tradition, even if it is now two generations removed.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

Mean Harry passes Gibraltar
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.