What do you do when you love a game, but suck at it?

Started by Gusington, January 12, 2020, 05:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 13, 2020, 07:34:00 AM
One of the things that was so genius about Kerbal Space Program is that it found a way to make failure just as rewarding and enjoyable as success. Personally, I have fun whether the rocket I designed and built makes it into orbit as intended, or whether it spins out of control and explodes brilliantly. Trial and failure is a crucial part of the game and sucking is just part of the overall experience.

Otherwise, the only time I am really frustrated by me sucking is if in order to progress or unlock certain features I am required to produce certain results. However, it's much more satisfying for me to place the blame on poor game design, rather than my own lack of ability.

Kerbal is brilliant in that regard.  I personally didn't understand their design decision of using cute, dumb, green people in a space game until after playing it when you realize it is to take the sting out of catastrophic failure and make it fun.  They've been so successful at it that Kerbal's promotion videos now have more explosion/disaster sequences than they do success sequences.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Gusington

Ok well I have to admit that for the 10 hours it took me to lose my first campaign of Anno 1800, I enjoyed about 90% of that time and did learn a lot - mostly about production chains. Where I failed was trying to make my citizens happy. It took a lot of tweaking to build exactly the right balance of needed infrastructure. And my profits were fluctuating constantly. I need to learn how to keep my citizens happy while still collecting enough taxes from them and support a healthy amount of growth.

My campaign was set on 'easy' but I think that is deceiving - it just gives the player more money to start with, it doesn't alter the behavior of the game AI or the economic fluctuations or the occurance of riots, fires, etc.

The pace of Anno is much more relaxed than most wargames. You can chill and build, as long as you do it in an economically sound way. It's deceiving that way if you don't fully understand the economics going on under the hood.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I admit a game won't let me win, even on, 'Easy' level, then I cheat like Muther. Anyway I can, until the game learns it's proper place in our relationship. If I just suck at the game as you say, then at some point I'll just move on. I loved IL-2 but couldn't complete a single mission without crashing or being shot-down. I couldn't even win the Pearl Harbor mission, and if you can't win there.... it's time to along. Which I did. I still enjoy watching other's videos of Flight Sims but I know it's not for me. Sub Sims however I'm pretty good at so I just stay there in my Safe Space.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

LoganismyHERO

This is me with CM2. I REALLY love the look and feel of the game but I can't even "win" with the demo. Haven't spent a dime on it. Maybe that's my problem  :tickedoff:

Tripoli

Quote from: LoganismyHERO on January 13, 2020, 11:43:39 AM
This is me with CM2. I REALLY love the look and feel of the game but I can't even "win" with the demo. Haven't spent a dime on it. Maybe that's my problem  :tickedoff:

I suck at CM, but this blog gives good tips and discussion.  Keep at CM-It is an excellent game and well worth the time/money investment: https://battledrill.blogspot.com/
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on January 13, 2020, 09:10:34 AM
Ok well I have to admit that for the 10 hours it took me to lose my first campaign of Anno 1800, I enjoyed about 90% of that time and did learn a lot - mostly about production chains. Where I failed was trying to make my citizens happy. It took a lot of tweaking to build exactly the right balance of needed infrastructure. And my profits were fluctuating constantly. I need to learn how to keep my citizens happy while still collecting enough taxes from them and support a healthy amount of growth.

My campaign was set on 'easy' but I think that is deceiving - it just gives the player more money to start with, it doesn't alter the behavior of the game AI or the economic fluctuations or the occurance of riots, fires, etc.

The pace of Anno is much more relaxed than most wargames. You can chill and build, as long as you do it in an economically sound way. It's deceiving that way if you don't fully understand the economics going on under the hood.

Do they still do an open non campaign game - where it's completely open without the build 500 of these before the year XXX

Gusington

Yes in the 'sandbox.' But I want to try the scripted campaign, which opens into a sandbox campaign once you win it, at least once more. I feel I know a little bit more about what I'm doing after 10 hours of practice.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

This thread reminds me of playing Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space.  And I even had the strategy guide - bought it off of Amazon just to figure the game out.

After repeatedly getting beat by the computer I set it up as hot seat and just skipped all the Russian's turns.

I eventually did get to the moon....in like 1985.   ::)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

^ L:-)

Started the scripted tutorial campaign again...moving through it much faster this time.

Fingers crossed.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

FlickJax

Dont know if it's an age thing... but I seem to suck more and more at anything other than puzzle games :(  may be down to the fact that I just dont put the time in to games as I used too or that I still miss paper manual reading sessions on the loo :)

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

fran

Graviteam tactics, loved the game but struggled with the map and camera controls....so frustrating.

Gusington

But if the controls were better and the map easier to work with - would you still suck at it?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Rayfer

Quote from: fran on January 14, 2020, 12:34:53 PM
Graviteam tactics, loved the game but struggled with the map and camera controls....so frustrating.

Same with me....a big +1

W8taminute

Quote from: Rayfer on January 14, 2020, 12:47:39 PM
Quote from: fran on January 14, 2020, 12:34:53 PM

Same with me....a big +1

+2
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk