I need a new graphics card

Started by JudgeDredd, January 17, 2018, 05:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 20, 2018, 06:03:49 PM
Dude! Show some image size discipline!
lol

But I'm going to let him off on the basis that his case seems to be devoid of cables.
Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JudgeDredd

Two problems that have shown up since installing the card and drivers...

1) Windows Experience Index - whilst I don't put too much weight on this, the fact that my Primary Hard Drive dropped from 7.9 to 5.9 is of concern as the hard drive hasn't changed (the WEI was only updated a week ago, if that, and reported 7.9 for the PHD)

2) Occasionally, and I haven't nailed down when, the mouse becomes unusable. It's moveable, though extremely sluggish and cannot click on anything. I noticed this a couple of times coming out of a game and assumed it may be a stability thing with alt-tabbing in and out to check stats and also having a couple of resource monitors running. However, this morning I came out of DCS and watched the telly for an hour or two. When I came back to the machine, the problem was there.

No idea what's going on.
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Is the mouse clicking thing only on your browser?

I've noticed a similar thing with Chrome lately. Every once in a while I have to refresh or even restart Chrome to get my mouse to click on any of Chrome's or a webpages's buttons and other interactive bits.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

oh god no. System wide. Even CTRL-ALT-DEL to load Task Manager see what's occurring...and nothing is. Nothing using huge amounts of CPU. Plenty of RAM. No indication of what's going on at all.
Alba gu' brath

OJsDad

Are you using wired or wireless mouse.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

JudgeDredd

Wired

I think I've found the problem.

I noticed a hiberfil.sys file which is a temporary file used for when your system goes into hibernation. It was 13GB. I removed that and switched of hibernation and the index shot back up. Also, I haven't noticed the mouse lag since.

Funny thing - I never had hibernation switched on. I know this because I'm regularly having to monitor my HD space on my primary disk because it's only a 125GB SSD drive...so it's often getting close to using a whack. So I would definitely have spotted that file before.

Anyway - don't know how it got switched on and didn't need it. Got rid of it and the problems seem to have gone - touch wood.
Alba gu' brath

JasonPratt

Incidentally, my 680 SLI NVidia card (or whichever 600 series it was that had SLI, the dual-card setup), still needs a home. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, I just upgraded a few months ago, that's all.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 21, 2018, 04:19:35 PM
Incidentally, my 680 SLI NVidia card (or whichever 600 series it was that had SLI, the dual-card setup), still needs a home. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, I just upgraded a few months ago, that's all.

Go read the thread on bitcoin mining. You can put that card to work!  :DD
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak