I Am Your President

Started by Ian C, February 14, 2019, 04:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian C

SirAndrewD

Reminds me of Shadow President.   That game was essentially just a test in how long it took me to nuke everyone.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

bbmike

You say that like it's a bad thing.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Oh, it never took long at all. 

Especially in the second one, Cyber Judas.  It was absurdly fun to see how many members of the cabinet resigned after I nuked a place like Denmark.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Sir Slash

At last! Responsible government.  :clap:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

The Steam forum for this game is comedy gold.

airboy

Quote from: SirAndrewD on February 14, 2019, 05:03:40 PM
Reminds me of Shadow President.   That game was essentially just a test in how long it took me to nuke everyone.

Never heard of Shadow President - looked it up and found it was a 1993 release.  GOG and Steam do not have it.  I'm guessing the rest of us will not experience cabinet members resigning for nuking Denmark.

You were right about the discussion for I am Your President being off the rails.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: airboy on February 17, 2019, 10:41:45 PM

Never heard of Shadow President - looked it up and found it was a 1993 release.  GOG and Steam do not have it.  I'm guessing the rest of us will not experience cabinet members resigning for nuking Denmark.

Yeah, it was a great game back in the day.  It had a much more serious side than this game looks to have.  There were serious costs to engaging in military conflict and there were a lot of interesting concepts on economic management like handling the budget, allocating aid and setting trade policy.  It was a surprisingly robust little game, and it's been really needing a successor.

bbmike

Chris Crawford's Balance of Power was earlier and equally serious.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

airboy

Quote from: bbmike on February 18, 2019, 08:50:29 AM
Chris Crawford's Balance of Power was earlier and equally serious.

I had that game and it was irritating on multiple levels.  Balance of Power only allowed three installs when you purchased it.  That was a big deal when hard drives were tiny.  The game was also linear as hell.  You built up to a big confrontation with the Commies somewhere - and the odds were 50-50 that you would get nuked. If you did not get nuke, you could gradually reshape the world.  Other coin flip, nukes fly and game over.

I'm thinking that Twilight Struggle is just better in so many ways.

Still, I'm impressed that with Shadow President you only had Cabnet members resigning.  You could have been assassinated or impeached.  Sir Andrew must be a likeable fellow.

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

SirAndrewD

Quote from: airboy on February 18, 2019, 09:14:09 AM

Still, I'm impressed that with Shadow President you only had Cabnet members resigning.  You could have been assassinated or impeached.  Sir Andrew must be a likeable fellow.

Oh, you could be impeached in Shadow President and Assassinated.  Whenever I would go off the rails impeachment was pretty much instantaneous.   

The game had this odd story that you weren't actually the President, but some fellow working for a behind the scenes secret society that actually controlled the puppet elected President.  If I remember correctly, at least in the second game, if anything bad happened your puppet took the hit and then you'd get fired by your bosses and quietly retired with orders never to speak to anyone about your role or be liquidated.

airboy

Sounds like a clone in the Paranoia RPG.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: airboy on February 18, 2019, 06:19:34 PM
Sounds like a clone in the Paranoia RPG.

There are no clones in Paranoia. 

Since you seem to think there are, the computer would like to have a word with you. 

Please take this bearskin hat with a red star and mustache so you can be....processed...correctly.