Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Quote from: Vlam on June 10, 2013, 12:23:43 PM
Hey there!
Just stalked a bit yesterday, and saw the warning of elitesix.
So I sent my turn as late as possible :) .

Seriously? 

I'm done with this game.  Feel free to AI my nation. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

claes

Quote from: W8taminute on June 10, 2013, 03:06:01 PM
Quote from: Vlam on June 10, 2013, 12:23:43 PM
Hey there!
Just stalked a bit yesterday, and saw the warning of elitesix.
So I sent my turn as late as possible :) .

Seriously? 

I'm done with this game.  Feel free to AI my nation.

Too bad.  I think he was being 100% literal.

Quote from: elitesixAt this point agartha, if you are reading this, I recommend not sending your 2h until the last minute if you want to give Jason a chance to reset The hosting interval to 48 hours.

JasonPratt

^^ Agreed; we discussed this earlier, that he might be doing this.

You can still set your faction to AI, of course, W8.  ::)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

W8taminute

I'm sorry guys.  When I commit to something I commit.  I don't dilly dally.  If it is a difficulty for one to submit turns in a timely manner either don't commit or at least provide notice and get someone to sub. 

AI me please. 

P.S.  He may have been joking when he made the comment but making everyone else wait for 6 days before the next turn is submitted is kind of rude.  To joke about it was the coup de grace for me. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Phobos

It's not like Vlam failed to submit his turn.  In fact, by waiting till the last minute to submit, he has forced someone to quit.  It could be argued that his meta-game is superior to other players.

I know I've never forced anyone to quit by sending my turn in...

Ogaburan

Well...
There goes my "war ally".
I will miss the steady stream of reassurances he will join the war soon on my side.  ;D

elitesix

It was Jason who requested a delay till Monday. (though he submitted his turn anyway - Jason perhaps you may also want to use gmail's scheduled email feature to help you control your submissions)

If Vlam had submitted his turn when Jason had accidentally left the hosting interval at 144 hours, I think it would have slowed down the game more because of the 5+ day hosting interval. By waiting Vlam allowed Jason to correct the hosting delay issue.

But this is a good time to point out that you should request delays as infrequently as possible. As requesting them frequently can kill the interest in the game, which seems to be happening here.

That being said, we are roughly on track since we started with 2 days per turn. However, the turn timers will likely increase as we enter mid game.

Larger games, in terms of number of people, and number of territories, mean slower turn times. This was definitely going to be a slow game, and games get slower into mid game because of the complexity and diplomacy.

As an aside, that's also why I think I would kill myself before playing a map larger than this one :)

W8taminute

Quote from: elitesix on June 10, 2013, 05:36:36 PM
...But this is a good time to point out that you should request delays as infrequently as possible. As requesting them frequently can kill the interest in the game, which seems to be happening here...

...Larger games, in terms of number of people, and number of territories, mean slower turn times. This was definitely going to be a slow game, and games get slower into mid game because of the complexity and diplomacy.

As an aside, that's also why I think I would kill myself before playing a map larger than this one :)

For me that is the case.  Why delay a game that everyone except one guy shows extreme interest in playing?  If he's playing some meta game by purposely waiting to the last minute than I wish to play with individuals who are more mature than that.  Bravo if that is his game he succeeded.  But I look down on that kind of childish behavior in the same way I look down on the adolescent idiots who play COD by camping at spawn points and sniping people within seconds of entering the match. 

Big games like this need more time for diplomacy, I get that.  It's a great opportunity to roleplay, forge relationships, etc. but if every turn is going to be some long drawn out affair with an individual thumbing his nose at the community than count me out. 

Is it really that hard to find people who just want to play the fucking game without resorting to stupid parlor tricks or studying for exams or taking the dog for a walk so I need to delay my turn?

W8taminute

Quote from: Ogaburan on June 10, 2013, 05:35:30 PM
Well...
There goes my "war ally".
I will miss the steady stream of reassurances he will join the war soon on my side.  ;D

I'm sorry.  I also need to say sorry to byrdman too.  I had intended to attack him this turn to support you.  With my generals equipped with rings of lightning and my earth smiths I figured I had a chance to do some damage to Eriu.  If anyone wants my password and save turn let me know.  I really wanted to see if my pathetic attempt to take on a superpower was going to work. 

JasonPratt

W8,

1.) We'll need to delay the game in order to give anyone who might wish to take your position a chance to do so (insert irony here ;) );

2.) You should blame me for the delay, not Vlam, who was waiting until he knew I was back from a rare weekend with my brother so I could reset the clock before the final turn was sent (thus preventing the timer from going forward another several days). I don't think he was mocking anyone, he was only explaining he was following E6's advice, and just happened not to check in until then.

I'll turn off the autosend until we have a clear idea of who is going to play your nation. Several players have lost a nation recently, here and in other games. Or you can keep going. Whichever you prefer, no pressure either way.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

claes

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 10, 2013, 09:56:02 PM
W8,

1.) We'll need to delay the game in order to give anyone who might wish to take your position a chance to do so (insert irony here ;) );

2.) You should blame me for the delay, not Vlam, who was waiting until he knew I was back from a rare weekend with my brother so I could reset the clock before the final turn was sent (thus preventing the timer from going forward another several days). I don't think he was mocking anyone, he was only explaining he was following E6's advice, and just happened not to check in until then.

I'll turn off the autosend until we have a clear idea of who is going to play your nation. Several players have lost a nation recently, here and in other games. Or you can keep going. Whichever you prefer, no pressure either way.

That was the impression that I got as well, Jason.  Not that Vlam was in any way trying to impede another players game; in fact I believe that he was simply trying to follow advice and help it flow along a little bit smoother.  I understand the impulse to lurk.  I do not know anybody very well here and I try to take a back role until I have a better handle on things, and of course until I get to know the personalities a bit more as well.  I speak up if I have something to say, such as right now,, and I have enjoyed almost every minute of it.  It is true that this is a long game, and a slow one, and on top of that we have a lot of new players as well (I am including myself as well here.)  I understand that the flow is a bit awkward, but I also don't expect this to be a German train station.  We are a group of people who have all expressed an interest in playing this game, and I don't think I have seen much indication at all that anyone is not dedicated to what we are trying to accomplish.

JasonPratt

There doesn't appear to be a way to turn off the autosend per se -- I can turn off quickhosting but that's a different thing -- so I "postponed" the game, which seems to be the same in effect as changing the time forward then back again. So the next time everyone gets a turn in, however soon that is, we'll be back to 48 hours.

I've advertised W8's Vanheim on the other games here at Grogheads (except for the new one Parone was setting up as I didn't want to distract from that), so perhaps we'll get a new human player soon; although if W8 changes his mind that's perfectly fine, too. :)

W8taminute

Well now I feel really bad.  I have to admit I was definitely steamed yesterday but I respect you Jason and thanks for explaining the situation.   I'm sorry if I offended anyone.  If you will still have me I'd like to continue playing. 

Ogaburan I won't let you down!

Huw the Poo