Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Quote from: Ogaburan on May 30, 2013, 02:20:19 PM
Oh god, can you be any more bitter?

ok, fine i didnt continually read the first post - my bad

but seriously, you have to get a grip of yourself - bitter? about what, having someone on here stomp my pixellated armies - cmon Oga, were all grown up enough to ( i frikking hope ) see this is a game - im not bitter about anything - there are a lot more serious issues in real life for me not to give a s*** that someone beat me in a video game

And arguing with the Admin in his own game? Seriously? WTF? the most mystifying thing youve said since you came here - like what? Jasons my boss? Jasons....................... like Calahan?? Jason is the god whom he pretends to be? - i see the foggy boundaries between real life and game world may have blurred for you Oga but really. You came to the wrong place if you think this is JASONS GAME and all who question him must be smote

So in short, and i take in Jasons reply also here, yes i should have read the ever changing first screen, and thats fine, and no i wont be playing in shared victory games again, and maybe not even alliance games - i think its a shitty way to try and win the game, and despite all those who want to misrepresent the spirit of the game with mystical role playing bollocks - it wasnt built for that no matter how many people are playing it, 3 or 30, and no amount of 'thematic reasoning' is going to change that - if this was one of the intentions of the designer it would have been put in the UI, there is no sharing of land, no access thru my lands, if you want in you have to attack, its a holy war

claes

Quote from: JasonPratt on May 30, 2013, 01:43:02 PM
On yet the other hand, there's also nothing preventing some of the mages from deciding that the next Pantokrator ought to be of a different character than previous ones, and so struggling to win by acclamation and rational mutual agreement rather than by total annihilation of all other pretenders.

The beauty of RP.  Remember the guy on reddit who was still playing the same three nations in a Civ II game that was already 10 years rl time long?  I can see the necessity and desire to set up an SVA to start the long path toward the end-game.  And me, I think that I am allied with one of those nations in an NAP - I have to check, but I noticed that it was not publicly acknowledged.  This does not worry me.  One, I am still learning, and to be perfectly honest this level of intrigue is something that I ENJOY seeing in any game.  As for U'geek, there is nothing preventing him from scouting around and temporarily allying himself with some of the other nations threatened by this alliance making it clear from the outset that it would be a temporary alliance meant only to remove a larger threat that will take them all out if nothing is done.  I can see the webs, and they are beautiful.

I can also see a game on this size map w/o diplomacy taking literally the better part of a year and while I have the patience to see a game like that out I also have a strong desire to see this one end in a timely manner so that I can try some new stuff and another pretender in the next game. 

The quote that I selected from JP exemplifies the beauty of RP.  Yes, in this game we are living in the wake of a cataclysmic death of the one true god.  There are many roads to go from there.  There is the most obvious road to the top of the mountain which is to battle for supremacy until the followers of each and every other nations are yours or subjugated.  Or there is a way to see the next age is one of enlightenment and accord rather than the discord that shattered the last ages and left a void when the last Pantokrator was lost.

Ogaburan

@Elitesix

I dont think "You are not RPing correctly", was a good card to pull.
It never ends well.
Your points are valid tho, but you need to remember Jason also subbed in.
Or might have some "silly" explanations he considers valid for why the land is dieing.

I say all RP is welcome, even so called "bad RP".

@Undercovergeek

Check your recent msg's, for the last 4 or 6 you are just whining about how life is unfair and the rules you agreed upon.
Are now, that you are losing, totally wrong and unjust. sheesh!
Frankly its annoying to refresh the page and see you constant whining, and hogging the thread from other "fronts".
I know you must think you are the center of the universe, but there are in fact 20 or so other people playing.

As for my "most mystifying" comment, you should check who is the Admin for this game.
And what does that mean.

Which in this case do mean its actually and quite literally Jasons game, which he set up with his rules.
And as far as anyone should concern hes word is final on all matters.
You dont like his calls, dont join his games in the future.

As for you pulling seniority on me with your smug "since you got here" remark, if others share this opinion I will gladly leave.
I did not know this was some kind of private club, unwelcoming to new members.
Came here to play dominions with other noobs, not read the regurgitated whines of a grown man anyway!
Frankly you can take your smug attitude and shove it.

undercovergeek

is there a need for that level of unpleasantness? and thats exactly what i meant about you being here - youre here with the wrong attitude

trolling me's fine, ive got the intellect and maturity to deal with it

making this forum and this website look trashy isnt fine

at no point have i whined about losing, im not, if you bothered to even check anything noones attacked me yet, noone knows the outcome of anything thats to be brought from this alliance, ive merely pointed out that i dont like it - but i apologise to you in particular if not liking the alliance has spoilt your day, and has somehow made you behave like the total **** you just showed yourself to be - it wasnt necessary

claes

Quote from: undercovergeek on April 08, 2013, 02:31:37 AM
There's no official alliance mechanism in the game, no 'allow XXXX access to my lands' as far as the game is concerned everyone is at war. Alliances and diplomacy can be conducted thru pm here, email or messaging in the game. When you eventually meet your neighbour its advisable to get in touch just to see what direction they're going in, is this their border or are they going any further - bear in mind you've probably met because your borders are touching and there's the odd indy province left between you - work out who's going for what lest you end up in the same province and start a war! As an example in a game here I met a neighbour who said 'I'm just taking province XXXX and will go no further' just to alleviate those nerves!

As for alliances, if you think it would be prudent to say to neighbour A 'hey I've found neighbour B, if you attack from the left, ill attack from the east' then you can carve up an enemy, of course you could tell b about a too and offer the same promise then when they've destroyed each other go get the pieces, or tell a about b and then do nothing - and then go get a now he is weaker..... Its all very machievellian and entirely open to your discretion!

This was your reply to my question about alliances before the game actually started.  So I can see that we will have a nice end-game no matter who is left standing.  We all know the rules and can move on from there.

elitesix

Resolving disagreements are about building bridges. All aspects of life involve interaction with others yields these lessons, including those in online gaming. The way resolve your disagreement here are a useful tool about how to resolve interpersonal disagreements in general, in larger life.

I hope the both of you can work things out. Life's not about who is right or wrong. It's about building bridges.

Both of you guys take a deep breath - I'm sure if you had met in person you'd both be sharing a beer right now :)

Ogaburan

@undercovergeek
If that's what you call not whining, I pity your co-workers.

Banter is banter, and you exaggerate and hijack a whole forum in order to say the same thing over and over.
The same wrong thing, mind you. And im not even sure its open to interpretations, as elaborated by jason.

If calling you on that is "trashing" this place, then I will apologies for that in the most cynical and un-sincere way I can muster.

Funny you would say all these things just minutes after calling me a "tit" on another forum.
Classy.

claes

Someone pm'ed me about the Civ game I mentioned so I thought I would share the link just for fun.  I realize that this is a completely different game but since this is a healthy discussion I don't have a problem dropping it in here for those that are curious and haven't seen it. 

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/uxpil/ive_been_playing_the_same_game_of_civilization_ii/

Note that this is only an aside, and a fun link for gamers to read.  There are a few similarities between the Dom and Civ but not much so I don't intend for the discussion to be about this game and the one linked, I only share it because someone was curious and there might be more that didn't ask.

elitesix

Quote from: Ogaburan on May 30, 2013, 03:41:32 PM
@Elitesix

It never ends well.
Or might have some "silly" explanations he considers valid for why the land is dieing.

I wasn't trying to say he wasn't RPing correctly. There is no right or wrong way to RP!

I mentioning the the opportunity for Jason could RP a much darker Ulm, especially because he hasn't really addressed the elephant in the room, with his Pretender, that being death scales 3. It could be real fun :) Or he could make it a non-issue by saying that the people Ulm have randomly been cursed. But I hope he has some fun with it!!

While I think normally if you make a character yourself, the RP is totally your business, I hope that if you sub in for another character, no one would be offended if someone offer thoughts to flesh out RPing a character someone else designed! No offense intended Jason!! Your Gamin RPs were especially fun and well done! :)

claes

Quote from: elitesix on May 30, 2013, 04:53:03 PM
Quote from: Ogaburan on May 30, 2013, 03:41:32 PM
@Elitesix

It never ends well.

I wasn't trying to say he wasn't RPing correctly. There is no right or wrong way to RP!

I mentioning the the opportunity for Jason could RP a much darker Ulm, especially because he hasn't really addressed the elephant in the room, with his Pretender, that being death scales 3. It could be real fun :) Or he could make it a non-issue by saying that the people Ulm have randomly been cursed. But I hope he has some fun with it!!

While I think normally if you make a character yourself, the RP is totally your business, I hope that if you sub in for another character, no one would be offended if someone offer thoughts to flesh out RPing a character someone else designed! No offense intended Jason!! Your Gamin RPs were especially fun and well done! :)

Well said.

JasonPratt

Quote from: elitesix on May 30, 2013, 02:48:15 PM
Just a role-playing observation that I'm sharing because you substituted in for Ulm [...] The reason I point this is out is that with Ulm, it seems as though you're ignoring your pretender's preferences a bit, at least in your public discussions.

That's true, the scales don't really fit, but neither did Myrmidon take any death or blood magic. He took a bunch of negative scales in order to offset some positive scales enough so that he could still afford a good rainbow build.

I do have ideas of how I'm playing the schizophrenic result, but I'm not going to spell it all out in public, duh.  ::)

One upshot I'll admit to, though, since you kind of pointed it out in public already (and I was hoping people wouldn't notice), is that the rhetoric of Ulm vs. Machaka manipulates the honor of the people by appealing to their zealotry in a hypocritical fashion they'd be susceptible to: Machaka is a target because they're deathy spider magicians (and maybe because they're Zulu ;) -- as I mentioned earlier they're better with their own 'race' generally), but that has to be different from the incidental deathy dominion Myrmagus generates -- our nation is just under a curse, that's all. Myrmagus clearly doesn't do death or blood magic! Still, having a strong mage as leader doesn't sit well with the people either, so there'd be quite a bit of unrest if she didn't allow them outlets for their honor on one hand (alliances they can trust her to keep so as not to smear the honor of the people) and for their anti-magical beliefs on the other (MACHAKA IS CLEARLY AN EVIL MAGIC NATION WHOSE PEOPLE ARE BEING OPPRESSED -- ALSO, SPIDERS!)

Quote from: elitesix on May 30, 2013, 02:48:15 PM
When you look at the nation of Oceania, they don't even have stealthy troops. It's clearly a case where the pretender's personality drives the role-playing.

They do (or did ;) ) have a surprising amount of potential along deathy/blood routes, so I was going to play Gamin as corrupting them into that direction, with the challenge of seeing whether I could bootstrap up something like Late Age Ermor but underwater. You know, like R'lyeh, except different. :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

As far as U'geek's situation goes, the only thing I object to is the claim that alliances weren't discussed before game start.

He's in a cleft stick and I sympathize with that. He doesn't want to ally with anyone in this game (he and Ermor allied just fine to fight everyone else in The Big Pretenders.) Not allying with anyone else in this game is going to lead to a loss under his current situation, since he's surrounded by hostiles and not yet strong enough to fight against everyone surrounding him with hope of winning. He can probably slow Chi and Ulm down, maybe even cripple one or both of us, but not while defending against sallies on his other borders.

Now is as good a time as any for one of us to switch over to AI -- I have an absolute ton of other things I can be doing with my time that I'll enjoy just as much or more, that won't annoy other people (or not for no good purpose anyway ;) ), so I have no compunction at all against setting my faction to AI, thus ensuring it won't be cooperating with anyone (except incidentally) against Machaka.

Or since U'geek signed up for a game mode he didn't actually want to play in the first place, and is now realizing that that kind of result could be possible in this game, he can go to AI and wait for a non-alliance game to be set up instead.

In fact, I will volunteer the password for my Groghawk experimental game, which I'm kind of swamped elsewhere about anyway (so I'm not moving very fast in setting it up): I was thinking of having it be a non-alliance game anyway, but I'll give that to U'geek as a gesture of good will, and he can finish setting up and activating that game, with the guarantee thereby that no one will possibly ally with one another on pain of being booted from the game by the admin (namely himself).

Also, that way the game may get started quicker than if I keep the reins.  ;D

Everybody wins. Is that a fair offer, U?  :) (I don't mean that the offer is contingent on going AI in this game. You can have Groghawk to manage as a non-alliance game either way, if you want it.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Bison

I don't know who I'm battling but we are battling and it's now on!

JasonPratt

:) It's kind of nifty to remember that the recent fracas is really just confined to one small corner of the map!

JasonPratt

Quote from: elitesix on May 30, 2013, 04:53:03 PM
Your Gamin RPs were especially fun and well done! :)

Thanks! I hope to bring him back in the next game I join (whatever that is, whenever that is).