Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

^I've often wondered why some provinces produce no resources.  Some provinces naturally have no resources but then some others produce a little bit but I think any nearby castles tax them to nothing.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

elitesix

If it provides decent income, it's never rubbish! You always need gold.

It also might have some magic sites.

But there are definitely "wasteland" provinces in the game (in addition to the type, there are lands that are pretty barren regardless of terrain type).

JasonPratt

Also, if there are high-resource areas around it, a fort there might be the most cost-efficient way of pulling in their resources.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

claes

^^^ That ^^^ is the definition of a protip.  Nice.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

claes

It makes sense though, and as much of what I am doing in this game is experimentation I have no problem putting it to the test in a turn or two if I can save up enough gold.

I have a lot of ideas, and things that I want to try.  Speaking of experimentation, it almost sounds feasible enough to have run an 'experimentation' game, with a big map and a few players who want to try out some different things.  Almost like an anything goes sandbox game or an interactive tutorial to try stuff out.  I, for one, would be both happy to use such a game for experiments of my own as well as allow myself to be experimented on.  Just thoughts...

ScottWAR

Quote from: claes on May 18, 2013, 06:55:24 PM
It makes sense though, and as much of what I am doing in this game is experimentation I have no problem putting it to the test in a turn or two if I can save up enough gold.

I have a lot of ideas, and things that I want to try.  Speaking of experimentation, it almost sounds feasible enough to have run an 'experimentation' game, with a big map and a few players who want to try out some different things.  Almost like an anything goes sandbox game or an interactive tutorial to try stuff out.  I, for one, would be both happy to use such a game for experiments of my own as well as allow myself to be experimented on.  Just thoughts...

lol,...I think that what a few of us are doing,.......in my case its because I am figuring things out as I go,......not by design.

claes

Well, I am trying it like a regular play-through as much as I can.  I don't want to try something that I am not sure of if it might conceivably cripple me and take me out of the game early.  There is a lot that I would like to try but am hesitant to.  But there will be more games.  It will literally take me years to hone my skills on this one, although I can maybe get decent after a year or so.  Not sure yet, but I am enjoying it all the same.

elitesix

Basically, after early game, which we're basically almost past, you want to be transitioning via research to using kitted out thugs, communions, devastating battlefield wide spells
(either killing enemy troops, or buffing your own) or super creatures on the battlefield.

Which options you go depends on your national mage selection, along with what your pretender has.

undercovergeek

JasonPratt

Well, I'm setting up a new Early Age game soon; I could go with the ultra-large Greyhawk map, so that it hardly matters how many people sign up there still would be room to experiment. :)

(Also, this would give me a chance to play on the ultra-large Greyhawk map.  ;D )

Huw the Poo

Thanks Jason.  I'm still too new to the game to care much about map and starting conditions etc (although I will always prefer score graphs off).  I just want to get going!  I'm thinking of playing Lanka...I'd love to try Caelum but I think it would probably take an expert player to get anything out of them.

undercovergeek

hell go for the giant map - if everyone loves playing and wants to get immerssed - whats the issue with 30 indy provinces each?

elitesix

30 provinces each??!

So a player who manages modest growth and take out 3 other nations is going to be 120 provinces large?  Man, handling a turn with 120 provinces would make me want to kill myself haha..

To each his own!:)

undercovergeek

Quote from: elitesix on May 19, 2013, 12:33:58 PM
30 provinces each??!

So a player who manages modest growth and take out 3 other nations is going to be 120 provinces large?  Man, handling a turn with 120 provinces would make me want to kill myself haha..

To each his own!:)

the map has 1200 provinces - if 6 people join thats 200 each BEFORE the war starts

lightweight!