Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philippe

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 11, 2013, 08:48:20 AM
Quote from: Philippe on April 10, 2013, 10:00:14 PM
Took a look at the Faerun map.  Though it's nice and big, I'm not thrilled with the way the landmasses are set up: way too many islands.  I also don't like the idea of playing on a map that is referential to another game.

As noted, the islands have plenty of neighbors via ports; this was intentionally designed into the map. In fact, some of the major coastal cities have "trade routes" to areas far from their actual location! Players should definitely turn on the "neighbors" map filter when playing this game.

Also, Westeros itself is totally grounded in "another game", namely GRRMartin's A Song Of Fire And Ice (aka "Game of Thrones" on television); which incidentally was converted recently into no less than two computer games, plus several board games, RPGs, card games, etc.

Are you sure you still want to play it?! ;)

Got me on that one.   It just shows what can happen when you spend your life trying to ignore popular culture. 

So no, I don't want to play Westeros.

Just took a look at Glory of the Gods. What's wrong (or what wouldn't I like) about that map?

I don't dispute that the chokepoints in Faerun are endearing, but I just don't like the way the map looks for a game like this.  Though the general aesthetics are nice, the spaces that you put your units in seem about 15% too small, giving the thing a cramped feel.

Having said that, my impression was based on two viewings and I'll be happy to play whatever you pick (as long as my volcano doesn't appear in the middle of a picture of glacier).

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

JasonPratt

^^ That "physically small territory" was going to be true about Westeros, too.

I like Glory of the Gods, but I had trouble finding a version that (1) had a download link; (2) wasn't bugfixed in a later version and (3) wasn't going to require me to mod it some more to work around mods for other people's games.

Note that the 480 land version apparently had territories too small for someone in multiplayer, too, because someone modded it back down to 227 on the same map! -- which is far too small for our game.

I can fiddle around with a more sophisticated Dom3 random map generator like Ballbarian (or whatever it's called), which will probably allow me to auto-set start locations in decent areas so people aren't crippled out of the gate; but the Faerun designer already did that, and most people here like the map, and it's Friday tomorrow, and my head hurts, so at this late date I'm going to make an executive decision and go with this map for this game, unless an objective problem crops up. I certainly encourage players to pretest the map looking for objective problems, though!--better to find them now than later! :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Bison

OK.  I've created my fragile lord of the realm and sent him into the server.  I await my opportunity to crush my enemies or plead for my meager existence with my undoubtably more powerful neighbors.  :D  LONG LIVE THE LORD OF ICE!

Bison

So what map should I download.  I have the Westros one downloaded, but I'd like to do a trial run on the actual map and test out my strategy.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Bison

Philippe

I most certainly don't want to do anything that will contribute to your headache.

So anything you want to go with will be fine by me.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Ubercat

Quote from: Ogaburan on April 11, 2013, 04:40:50 AM
Even been to the real city of Ashdod a couple of times... lol.

Queue patronizing Homer Simpson voice: "Of course you have, Lisa. It's right next to the lollypop forest with all the other make pretend places."
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Bison

JasonPratt

^^ The joke is that Homer doesn't realize such places are real. ^^

Quote from: BisonShe's an winged magical ice lady of war. 

And cute, too! :)

Plus she comes with Absolute Territory.  ;D

Bison

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 11, 2013, 10:20:03 AM
And cute, too! :)

Prepare for war!  Your eyes have soiled the lady and for that you must pay.

Just testing out my diplomacy skillz.

JasonPratt

Well, "absolute territory" is a pun (in Japanese) on "absolute terror"... ;)

Bison

And now you continue to insult me with word play!  And foreign word play at that.  This means WAR!

byrdman57

Please warn me the next time one of your links turns out to be a fricking rabbit hole!

JasonPratt

Quote from: byrdman57 on April 11, 2013, 11:09:25 AM

Please warn me the next time one of your links turns out to be a fricking rabbit hole!

(Note: not a euphamism.) (Probably.)

Quote from: BisonAnd now you continue to insult me with word play!  And foreign word play at that.  This means WAR!

Hopefully she'll turn out to be tsundere.