Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

is the cradle still a go-er for a map

Jason, ill send pretender in tomorrow

JasonPratt

I got back late tonight, but if I recall correctly the Cradle is too small. I'll check it over tomorrow afternoon, since that map would certainly be easy and convenient.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

PsiSoldier

Ok.. Last I saw you said the game was still open. If so I'd like in as MA Ermor if it's available.

PsiSoldier

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 09, 2013, 12:41:51 PM

If you auto-drop or you intentionally drop, and if you have given me the email address you'll be sending/receiving gameturns with, I'll be able to set your faction to AI, and the game will actively develop and try to win with your faction; then if you can come back later, I should be able to hand control back over to you by reversing the operation.

This is incorrect.  When a player drops out without explanation you will need to find a volunteer (who is not playing the game) to log in and set their nation to AI.  The reason it needs to be someone who is not playing is because they will be able to see everything that that nation could have seen thus giving them an edge in the game.   You will simply have to login as admin to the game on Llamaserver and change the email address for that nation to that of your volunteer.

Secondly it is not reversible.  Once changed to AI a nation can never be changed back.

Otherwise, I'll have to boot your faction from the game -- not sure what happens then, if all your lands empty or the AI takes over actively or passively, but you won't be able to get back in. (The booting wouldn't be punitive, though; I'd only be doing it so that we aren't locked into necessarily waiting the full 2 days for turnaround. The system is set up so that a new turn will be generated whenever all factions have sent in their moves. We could have five turns in one day, although that isn't very likely with this many players!--but normally the maximum turnaround time is 2 days.)

When a faction get's Booted AKA Set to AI which is the only way to "boot" someone the AI simply takes over.    From my experience 2 days is nice and I certainly prefer to have shorter turn limits but with more people in the game you inevitably end up with more people having RL issues that require extensions for the turn, storms, hurricanes, power outages, business trips etc...   Usually that tends to happen later in the game when turns require more micromanagement and someone cant simply do their turn in 5 minutes.  But in my games as a general rule I try to stick to 48 hours as a limit because people will abuse it if you give them more time unless as I said it is a special request.

JasonPratt

Quote from: PsiSoldier on April 09, 2013, 10:15:44 PM

If you auto-drop or you intentionally drop, and if you have given me the email address you'll be sending/receiving gameturns with, I'll be able to set your faction to AI, and the game will actively develop and try to win with your faction; then if you can come back later, I should be able to hand control back over to you by reversing the operation.

This is incorrect.  When a player drops out without explanation you will need to find a volunteer (who is not playing the game) to log in and set their nation to AI.  The reason it needs to be someone who is not playing is because they will be able to see everything that that nation could have seen thus giving them an edge in the game.   You will simply have to login as admin to the game on Llamaserver and change the email address for that nation to that of your volunteer.

Well, it might be incorrect procedure to do it myself directly, but it's correct as far as my capabilities go. I'm not going to look at their position if I do have to be the one to do it, and I would have looked first for someone else outside the game to volunteer to change it; but since it was likely most local possibilities would already be playing the game, I simplified the details a bit. :) I'm still the one who has to enable it even if I find a volunteer, after all.

I appreciate the correction about the change to AI being irreversible, though; I didn't know that!

Quote from: PsiSoldier on April 09, 2013, 10:15:44 PM
When a faction get's Booted AKA Set to AI which is the only way to "boot" someone the AI simply takes over.

There are controls for booting pretenders out of the game from the admin screen at Llama, which I have presumed (perhaps wrongly) would still exist once the game starts. If doing it by that method assigned AI to take over, I wouldn't have to collect email addresses in order to get myself (or a volunteer more ideally) to set the player to AI if they drop, so I infer that booting them directly by Llama command creates some other result, whether erasing the player from the game or setting the player to a passive AI which always registers turns immediately (similar to what happens if a player misses a turn but without waiting for the full turn to expire). I included active AI as the third possibility only because, for all I know, the boot buttons are a recent addition with code for transferring the booted account over to active AI status.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Quote from: PsiSoldier on April 09, 2013, 10:05:18 PM
Ok.. Last I saw you said the game was still open. If so I'd like in as MA Ermor if it's available.

No, sorry, "mkivcs" already claimed them a little while back.

The final available factions can be found a few posts back up; here's the link for more convenience. (Pangaea was just taken by someone else tonight.)

We only have three land nations left now; but if you're experienced playing mp, you could try one of the water factions with the understanding that you'll essentially be contra mundum all hands against you. (Having a new player ally with a water player given the underwater benefits, especially for an experienced player who knows how to minimize the underwater problems, might be rather too unbalancing in a mostly-newbie game. Still, I thought it best to keep the water nations open as an option under certain circumstances. Having R'yleh in the game would be a hoot!  ;D )

Phobos

If new players are still welcome, I would like to express my interest in playing.

I guess I could be called experienced enough not to be a total nub.  I have only completed one game, where I was taken out before turn 30, but I am currently in some other games where I am fairly entrenched and doing OK.

I can play R'lyeh if you like.  Or Shinuyama.  I don't mind either way. 

Bison

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 09, 2013, 12:51:34 PM
Quote from: Bison on April 08, 2013, 07:29:58 PM
Hmmm...I cannot help but feel like I should join this bandwagon.  But alas I don't have the game and missed the last sale.  So it's CoE3 for me.

Dom3 is still only US$30 at gamersgate, which is more than half off what I paid for it. ;)

Fine I'll be your huckleberry!  Now if I can figure out how to do all the modding stuff on a mac....hmmm....and I'll be moving into a new place in a week or two so I'll have some internet connectivity issues for a few days.  If that's all good bossman, I'm in the game.  And since I have NO idea what the hell I'm doing you can just tell me who to pick and I'll be good with it.

byrdman57

Huw the Poo

Bison

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 10, 2013, 12:46:06 AM
Woooo, Bison's in!  Cool!

Hey let's not get too excited to kick my ass!  I still need to figure out how to mod this bad boy and then attempt to learn how to play not to mention make this pretender dude.  I give myself a lifespan of about 15 turns.  :D

Bison

Well I guess I'll need to set aside the actual book I was reading so I can peruse the rule book for this one.  Holy Hannah it's a monster book.

PsiSoldier

Ok. Atlantis then. But if Phobos is cool with Shin then I would prefer R'lyeh

bayonetbrant

Glad to see there's so many folks joining us at GrogHeads for some great online gaming.

Please feel free to stick around and poke your heads into some other parts of our forums and look over some of our main page articles, too.

And stay tuned for a major overhaul of our front page, too - it's going to look a LOT better soon
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Phobos

Quote from: PsiSoldier on April 10, 2013, 05:26:18 AM
Ok. Atlantis then. But if Phobos is cool with Shin then I would prefer R'lyeh

I'm happy to play Shinuyama if you want R'lyeh.

I'll take a look at them and try and figure out how to get my anime on.