Kickstarter: Empire Deluxe Combined Edition

Started by Greybriar, August 10, 2017, 01:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybriar

Attention Retro Gamers:

I learned about this kickstarter awhile ago and simply had to back it. I didn't play Empire, but I played a lot of Empire Deluxe back in the day. I enjoyed it so much back then that I want to play it again even though it hasn't changed much in the last 24 years. Have a look:

Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Boggit

Alternatively play Advanced Tactics Gold, which seem to have much of the same game functionality, with more detail, and far better graphics too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xiE6Zs5dPM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUYDptvjzhY

You can also play the game with Fog of war on, NATO counters etc.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bbmike

Ah, Empire Deluxe. I still have the original CD around here somewhere. Many hours of good times back in the day.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Wolfe1759

Definitely recommend ATG.

There is also Empires of Steel which I believe is based on the Empire system. I just Googled it to see if it was still available as I bought it a few years ago, it is and now for $1 (pay what you want) from the developers site here http://www.empiresofsteel.com/ there is also a demo if you don't want to risk $1, it was even updated in February so the developer is still supporting it even though it was released c2010.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

bbmike

Empires of Steel is closer to Empire Deluxe gameplay-wise. I haven't played it in a while. The problem I had with it was that the graphics were way too small for me. I need to see if that was ever fixed.
Also similar was Global Conquest. Great game that was never remade or updated.  :(
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

FlickJax

I played Empire Deluxe for hour upon hour back in the day.  Not sure I could go back to it now though.

Martok

Quote from: Wolfe1759 on August 10, 2017, 06:27:33 PM
Definitely recommend ATG.

There is also Empires of Steel which I believe is based on the Empire system. I just Googled it to see if it was still available as I bought it a few years ago, it is and now for $1 (pay what you want) from the developers site here http://www.empiresofsteel.com/ there is also a demo if you don't want to risk $1, it was even updated in February so the developer is still supporting it even though it was released c2010.
Oh wow.  I had my eye on Empires of Steel for a long time, but always held off -- partly because of the price (IIRC, it was initially sold for $40, which was way too steep in my estimation), but also because I didn't want to deal with Battlefront's DRM bullcrap.  Now, though, I think I'll finally pick this one up.  Thanks for sharing that, Wolfe

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bbmike

I didn't realize you could also get a license for The Perfect General Internet Edition if you back this. I loved that game as well. I'm in.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

airboy

Quote from: bbmike on August 10, 2017, 06:33:45 PM
Empires of Steel is closer to Empire Deluxe gameplay-wise. I haven't played it in a while. The problem I had with it was that the graphics were way too small for me. I need to see if that was ever fixed.
Also similar was Global Conquest. Great game that was never remade or updated.  :(

Empires of Steel had one of the worst AIs ever.

Staggerwing

I'll have to look but I'm sure that somewhere I have both my original Perfect General 3.5 floppy and my Perfect General II CD and expansion. Possibly even the Lost Admiral games...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 11, 2017, 08:29:39 PM
I'll have to look but I'm sure that somewhere I have both my original Perfect General 3.5 floppy and my Perfect General II CD and expansion. Possibly even the Lost Admiral games...

Another great oldie.  :smitten:
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

airboy

I may contribute to this one.  I played the original DOS Empire to death.  I kept my original box.  I almost bought the Killer Bs version many times.  For $13 and a very high probability of not being vaporware, it seems reasonable.

I agree that Advanced Tactics is also awesome.  But AT is not a world wide, strategic game to the extent that Empire is.  Both are excellent and both are inexpensive.

bbmike

Just received an email that says this will be released to backers today.  <:-)
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

DennisS

OK...get me The Lost Admiral 2 and Conquered Kingdoms, and we'll talk!

bbmike

Played around with this yesterday. If you like Empire Deluxe then this is a must have. There are a lot of new options in this updated version. An old friend has returned.  O0

And yes, the graphics are not all 3D and flashy. And it is an old game. And if you don't like any of that then you can, as Brant might say,  suckit.  :P
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak