2 pots of paint...

Started by JudgeDredd, May 25, 2018, 12:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

...and this 1/48 beast

I told my wife "I picked up a pot of paint and the guy said if you buy two of those, you get a free model". She correctly called BS. However, my daughter, who's at University, said "Wow!". Oh dear!!  #:-)
Alba gu' brath

bbmike

Hmm, I'm gonna try that with the wife.   :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on May 25, 2018, 07:16:47 AM

Two pots of paint and a new wife?
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on May 25, 2018, 07:56:54 AM
Quote from: bbmike on May 25, 2018, 07:16:47 AM

Two pots of paint and a new wife?

Hmm, I might try that too.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

em2nought

I'm not sure why I'm into pregnant looking fighter aircraft like the Jug, Wildcat, and I-16.  I've never really been into anything else pregnant, as far as I know.   ^-^
Stolen elections have consequences.

JudgeDredd

There's something "brutish" about those aircraft...especially the P-47. They just look like they're designed to turn up for a fist fight. Unlike the P-51 which looks like it's designed to turn up, make you look like a fool then floor ya.

P-51 - Muhammad Ali
P-47 - Mike Tyson

:2funny:
Alba gu' brath

Kvothe

Pardon my ignorance, but what is included with a model set. So are necessary paints, stands and decals all sold separately or partially included. I ask as my father used to make model aircraft/motorbikes and I'm intrigued enough to maybe try a beginner project in the future.

JudgeDredd

For paints and glue, you can certainly get models that come with those supplied - but generally speaking, the paint isn't great (it's been potted for quite some time) and it's not very good quality. Also, I've only ever seen Airfix kits come with the paints.

Regarding stands, the only models I've seen coming with stands are sci-fi stuff. Aircraft generally don't come with stands anymore - which is fine for me because I like them "wheels down".

As for decals those do come with all models.

In general though, you'll have to buy some paints, brushes, brush cleaner and glue.

Just buy a cheap-ish model, get the paints and the glue and you're golden to make your first one.

More often than not a model will list all the colours you need (as they should) but bear in mind those include colours for in the cockpit, wheel wells, pilot etc. To see how you get on then there's probably only 2 or 3 colours needed for the aircraft *think a spitfire with brown and green for the camo and egg blue for the underside

It can be a cheap hobby. And it can be more expensive. I started with 1/72 kits at £5-£10 each and with small pots of enamel paint at £1.00 a tin and some cheap brushes. Not before too long, I had moved to Tamiya acrylic paints at £1.75 a pot, better brushes and an airbrush and I had moved my kits from the cheaper 1/72 models to the 1/48 and 1/35 scale for anything from £20-£50 and more.

But you can certainly start cheap and stay there if it gives you the buzz you want.

Good luck. Don't hesitate to drop a message in here or PM me. There's a few people around here interested in modelling - though don't listen to GDS and his obsession with bastardising kits   ;D
Alba gu' brath