Tamiya 1/48 Sea Harrier wip

Started by JudgeDredd, August 30, 2015, 08:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Several coats of Klear applied.

I have to say - for a rather difficult model (awkward) she does look stunning. Not through my work - but as an aircraft and as a scale model of the plane.

I do like the paint scheme also. I wasn't a fan of the box art and the white and blue scheme. The Sea Grey seems more "battle ready".

To do...
Canopy - mask and paint and fix
Decals
1000lb bombs - repaint again, fix to fixings and fix to aircraft
Fit Sidewinders to Harrier
Final coat of Klear
Weather

Ouch - laying it out like that makes it seem like loads more to do.
Alba gu' brath

jomni

Kinda lost some detail (gaps between the metal panels).  Or is the plane really that smooth?

JudgeDredd

Well I did minimal filling. I also airbrushed it - so there's not enough paint applied (when airbrushing) to fill panel lines.

I didn't really look tbh. I think it's raised panel lines mostly. Things might "pop out" when I dirty it up a bit.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Some progress at last over the Christmas break.

I've been putting this off for ages because of the number of decals to put on.

She's not looking bad. I'll finish the decals hopefully today or tomorrow, then I will finish the 1,000lb bombs and sidewinders and fit them, give everything a coat of Alclad II Clear Gloss and then apply some weathering to dull her down a bit (she's a bit shiny)

This one is Lt Commander Nigel "Sharkey" Ward (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharkey_Ward) - as I read his book, Sea Harrier Over The Falklands
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0304355429?keywords=Sea%20Harrier%20Over%20The%20Falklands&qid=1452927462&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

The next update she will be complete
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

Good job JD! I think it's just shiny enough to make it look like metal.  O0

JudgeDredd

Thank you all.

Well...I'm done...in. Literally. This was a bit of a beast from start to finish. Raised panel lines, bad fit, awkward fit, painting issues and the straw the broke the proverbial...really, really bad canopy fit.

The fit was pretty poor throughout needing a fair bit of filler. I did what I could. But not being very experienced at such things, it shows in places. The awkwardness was little bits and pieces that just didn't go on well, making gluing a nightmare.

The painting issues were how I put the model together and how/when I painted. I'm no expert with an airbrush at all, and it showed throughout. Fitting of the Sidewinders resulted in me getting glue on my fat sausage fingers which then "rubbed some white paint of the missile...only for said fat finger to go holding the fuselage at the front and putting a big white stain on it...which obviously couldn't be airbrushed off because of the decals being on now!

On top of that, I had some Humbrol Clear Fix for the canopy. I had forgotten how shite this stuff was. Putting it on just left "contrails" of glue as I pulled the cocktail stick away, resulting in glue on the damn canopy. On top of that, the canopy was an awful (and really awkward) fit.

So that's me done. This is the first modern jet I've done and it was a bear! An old kit too - and the fit and moulding really showed. Is it all the models fault? Absolutely not. A lot was my misunderstanding on how to go about things for doing these...there's so much more to modern jets than WWII fighters or bombers imo.

Anyway - here's the final show. I'm not disappointed with what I did...but I have learned many things in the process that I will take with me to other models (hopefully).

If you look at the front right of the canopy, you can see where the glue got on it :'(

And if you look to the front of the nose, you can see a darker grey patch - where the white paint went and I tried to clean off and cover up  :'(

And here - the offending Sidewinder and smudged white paint from gluey fat fingers!  :'(

I was impressed with my extra work on the engine though - the one positive!

Alba gu' brath