ARMA 2 Server - Interest?

Started by DV8, July 19, 2012, 08:19:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DV8

I updated the server to 1.62 today.
"Most of my cliches aren't original." - Chuck Knox

TheCommandTent

Is the sever still up?  I couldn't find it after using the filter screen and searching for Grogheads.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

DV8

Yes.  It was the end of the month.   :'(

TheCommandTent

Quote from: DV8 on July 30, 2012, 05:53:16 AM
Yes.  It was the end of the month.   :'(

Ahh thats to bad, thanks for running it while you did.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Staggerwing

How much does something like that cost? I remember running a teamspeak server back about 8 years ago and it was pretty cheap, maybe $15/month. I imagine this kind of thing would be more.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

The server costs are based on several factors Stagger.  Namely the game, number of player slots, length of time for server and voice  chat options.  I was trying to drum up support for a groghead server through the Steam group awhile back.  I think it is still something that could easily be done through a paypal account where members could contribute to keep the server up and running.  It could also be a revolving server.  So for a few months it's ARMA 2 and then perhaps switches to TF2 or whatever hot new or old title the paying members wanted to transfer too.  Most server hosting sites allow a game transfer for a nominal fee plus the balance difference for game rental.

DV8

The cost of the server depends on the number of slots and the game.  ARMA tends to be high than most games. Maybe it required more bandwidth?

It costs $30 a month for 10 slots.

I like the idea of a rotating server. Keeps things fresh.

Staggerwing

The Paypal idea is a good one. Contribute some cash and get a password.  :)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 30, 2012, 07:43:35 PM
The Paypal idea is a good one. Contribute some cash and get a password.  :)

That was on the grounds of the idea we were discussing a few months ago, but think we were more along the lines of public with reserved slots.  I think the thought was perhaps a public server would lure a few unexpecting chumps to the shark tank here at grogheads building up the community through another venue.  The reserved slot would do the same thing basically.  Pay a few bucks over the course of a year and have a slot held for you anytime you logged in. 

TheCommandTent

I wouldn't mind throwing a few bucks at a server.  I would be interested to see what they guys running this joint have to say about it as well.  :)

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'd be happy with the PayPal idea as well.  DV8 and I discussed it briefly while we were playing a few weeks back.

BTW.  There's a new expansion out for ArmA II.  It's the Army of the Czech Republic.  Campaign of 15 new missions, 2 new maps, bunch of new weapons, vehicles, and uniforms.

It's out at the BIS store now.  Won't get to Steam of Gamersgate for a couple more weeks.  You can pre-order it at Gamersgate though. 

http://www.gamersgate.com/DLC-A2ACR/arma-2-army-of-the-czech-republic

DV8

If you guys feel there is enough interest in a Grogheads server I would suggest posting in the main War Gaming forum to gauge the support.