Gunshots in Canadian Parliament Building

Started by Labbug, October 22, 2014, 09:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Quote from: LongBlade on October 24, 2014, 10:10:09 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on October 24, 2014, 09:53:35 PM
I think it shows Islamist attacks can never win. An attack on our soldier is an attack on our society. Everyone will circle wagons to it's defense.

That's exactly right.

I truly wish that were the case, but I think the trends of reactions by governments and societies across the globe over the last decade have proven the opposite to be true.

Mr. Bigglesworth

There may be some overreaction moving to a big brother state. I think it will correct itself, these things tend to follow cycles. People overreact in one direction then the other as they realize the ramifications of new policy. Western civilization is too strong for islamists, it is too strong for Russian aggression. The only real threat is internal crumbling. A prime example would taking more and more resources from people with capability to make life easy for those without. If it is over 10-15% IMO it is dangerous. We must help people up , not give handouts to paraphrase one of your ex Presidents. Anything that would be considered investment in something that could add to society should be encouraged. Handouts which are negative investment should be discouraged.

A media commentator on the radio today complained Harper contacted Obama and Netenyahu (sp?) before giving information to Canadians. First I think it is good to know those are strong allies. It is also good to know we are all in the same situation. The sharing of info may have been important for some reason. The radio person is blind to the big picture IMO.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on October 24, 2014, 09:41:45 PM
^That is incredibly touching.

Man what a terrible thing this attack is. Logic would dictate that it shouldn't bother me so much,  but it does. I can't really put my finger on why.

Is it the one death is a tragedy and XXXX is a statistic thing

I find the picture above as moving as the cartoon and the applause for the sergeant at arms.... it's very sad

LongBlade

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on October 24, 2014, 11:19:44 PM
There may be some overreaction moving to a big brother state. I think it will correct itself, these things tend to follow cycles.

Agreed. After 15 years it's time for this to cycle back.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: LongBlade on October 25, 2014, 08:29:00 AM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on October 24, 2014, 11:19:44 PM
There may be some overreaction moving to a big brother state. I think it will correct itself, these things tend to follow cycles.

Agreed. After 15 years it's time for this to cycle back.

It just so happens I saw this movie on netflix after your post today. It seems things have gone further than I understood. Maybe things would change faster if people had any idea of what was being done. The reality is almost eveyone is clueless. That includes the law enforcement "preventers" that are struggling with how to use this new power they have.

http://www.netflix.com/WiPlayer?locale=en-CA&movieid=70279201&trkid=13462055&tctx=28%2C9%2C33a579ea-0caf-49c0-909b-0b4e751d58a3-8346437

Very interesting movie.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Now that I think about it, the "preventers" have probably hacked my amazon account. I say this because I remember seeing a bunch of stuff for paintball displayed as things I might like. I have never done paintball or anything like it. Maybe someone looked up protective gear for paintball in my account so they had an excuse to read my kindle books. The bitches.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Sadly, the parliamentarians are already reacting out of fear and a need to do something, even if it's the wrong thing.  Bill C-42, the common sense firearms act, has been put on indefinite hold due to the actions of one nutbag. 

LongBlade

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 25, 2014, 04:14:21 PM
Sadly, the parliamentarians are already reacting out of fear and a need to do something, even if it's the wrong thing.  Bill C-42, the common sense firearms act, has been put on indefinite hold due to the actions of one nutbag.

In the US all these laws do is punish legal gun owners.

Silent Disapproval Robot

The Act was meant to ameliorate the problems faced by legal gun owners in Canada due to previous actions and legislation. 

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: LongBlade on October 25, 2014, 04:56:55 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 25, 2014, 04:14:21 PM

In the US all these laws do is punish legal gun owners.

I never thought of it that way, it makes sense. I have always thought if someone like that kind of thing keep it on the range or in a locker. Any guns in the house would be a problem if stolen. How would someone feel if their gun was used in a robbery? Watching "The walking dead" lol on netflix it makes me think of the people that really feel they need to protect themselves. If they go through the process, making every effort to be responsible, there is nothing wrong with it. Of course the criminals will find a way to get guns, as you say.

Of course in Canada the average citizen has no idea what bills are being advanced, not that it matters, the only thing anyone can do is write a letter to their MP. The MP tows the party line. For a lot of things we get our idea of what the law is from tv shows, which are most likely US based. I did business law so I know a bit about those things. The rest, no idea.

LongBlade

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on October 25, 2014, 05:09:52 PM
Of course in Canada the average citizen has no idea what bills are being advanced, not that it matters, the only thing anyone can do is write a letter to their MP. The MP tows the party line. For a lot of things we get our idea of what the law is from tv shows, which are most likely US based. I did business law so I know a bit about those things. The rest, no idea.

Here the NRA (National Rifle Association) is quite active. I get emails breaking down by state what legislation (both good and bad) is going through state houses as well as at the Federal level. It's now election season and the NRA has a website dedicated to educating members which candidates are pro- and anti-gun: https://www.nrapvf.org/

Sounds like you guys could use something like that to advocate for responsible firearms owners.

Silent Disapproval Robot

We have two. The NFA and the CSSA but they're in a purse fight with each other and spend more time and effort trying to discredit one another than informing and advocating.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

Props to all those people who ran towards danger and tried to help.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Gusington on October 27, 2014, 09:46:02 AM
Props to all those people who ran towards danger and tried to help.

Yes, you see images of action, you see images of people just crouching beside their squad car. Nobody knows how they would react until they are in the situation.