Main Menu

Started by besilarius, November 26, 2019, 05:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

You mentioned Tolkien - you of all people probably know this but there are some great books out there on how WWI influenced him and The Lord of the Rings.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I thought the same thing as Jason, "I wonder what Tolkien would think about this movie".  :o  That's right about the time compression thing, especially the dark-to-daylight scene, and I also noticed some of the enemy bullets hitting near the soldier could NOT have come from where it was supposed to come from and... the German trenches had sandbags stacked on top of each other. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but weren't sandbags stacked obliquely like bricks in a building for more stability?  :hide: These are still all minor issues for me-- the movie was entertaining for me.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

The German trenches confused me a bit, when the protags arrived; they should have looked rather better than the British ones, but they didn't until the protags went inside one of the barracks (to be impressed by its size and arrangements).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

The rats were certainly healthier.  :o
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

besilarius

Bit of trivia.
Rats like nice, warm quarters.
The soldiers didn't poison the rats in the trenches, because rats go home to die.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 22, 2020, 07:24:54 PM
The rats were certainly healthier.  :o

"Blimey! Even their rats are bigger!"

Incidentally, regarding the first appearance of rats (not in the barracks if I recall correctly), Bro and I leaned over to each other and I muttered, "yeah, that's coming off later," "yep, mm-hm". Despite the setup this doesn't happen, somehow. There's no indication it will ever happen later either. Stress must be a great disinfectant; who knew?!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Screen Rant's content can vary in quality a lot, but this mini-doc shows a lot of behind the scenes as incidental footage (and isn't a bad mini-doc).

ArizonaTank

Saw it over the weekend with the wife. She liked it a lot, and she usually doesn't like war movies. I did as well. Sure I could quibble with the plot, some of the action and details, but the movie did a great job of suspending reality for me...I really enjoyed it.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ArizonaTank

WAPO article says 1917 is "favored" for best picture win.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2020/02/04/oscars-are-this-weekend-heres-which-movies-watch-first-how-watch-them/

I hope it wins. Just because it would be really great to see a WWI movie take best picture. When is the last time that has happened? I am no Oscar historian, but I think it was 1931, "All Quiet on the Western Front." (technically 1963, "Lawrence of Arabia" should count, but there is not a trench in sight).

A solid WWI movie win...might lead to greenlighting other WWI pics, or so I hope....
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

IIRC the first Oscar winner ever was Wings in 1928.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd