Main Menu

Crusader Kings II

Started by Greybriar, February 12, 2012, 06:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybriar

Crusader Kings II is scheduled for release in two days, on 14 February 2012. Those who pre-order will also receive Crusader Kings Complete plus the first two CK2 DLCs for free, Crusader Kings II Dynasty Shield and Crusader Kings II Mongol Faces for free.

So who is going to pre-order Crusader Kings II or already has? Does anyone plan on buying it later after the price has dropped? Is anyone not going to purchase it and why not?

I am trying to decide whether to buy CK2 or not. I wasn't a fan of the original, but the demo looked very good and seemed more bug-free than recent Paradox releases. I generally dislike the idea of DLC, but it is sometimes acceptable under certain circumstances.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Grim.Reaper

Pre-ordered just about a month ago.  Looking forward to it.  If your going to end up buying at some point, might as well order now and get the two DLC free.  Also, if you look down a couple of threads about the 15% off code from IGN, even makes it better to buy now, if your going to buy from GamersGate.

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=248.0

Greybriar

"If your going to end up buying at some point, might as well order now and get the two DLC free."
That was my line of thinking also.

Thanks for the link about the 15% off from IGN, but I won't be buying the digital download of CK2 from anyplace but GamersGate to avoid having to use Steam. I was even considering buying the game from the Paradox Webshop as well in order to get a printed paper manual--it's on sale there for $35.99 plus shipping--but paying that much more money for a paper manual seemed a bit much.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Martok

I'm thinking I'll be getting the game, but not for a few months yet.  I figure that should be long enough for the price to come down a bit, and (more importantly) for the worst of the bugs/issues to be patched. 

I am enjoying the demo so far, but Paradox's reputation has really taken a hit with me in the last year or two.  Hence why I'm going to wait. 

Quote from: Greybriar on February 12, 2012, 07:11:03 PM
I was even considering buying the game from the Paradox Webshop as well in order to get a printed paper manual--it's on sale there for $35.99 plus shipping--but paying that much more money for a paper manual seemed a bit much.
Well presumably a physical copy purchased direct from their store would still require Steam, so it's just as well you didn't order from them. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Greybriar on February 12, 2012, 07:11:03 PM
"If your going to end up buying at some point, might as well order now and get the two DLC free."
That was my line of thinking also.

Thanks for the link about the 15% off from IGN, but I won't be buying the digital download of CK2 from anyplace but GamersGate to avoid having to use Steam. I was even considering buying the game from the Paradox Webshop as well in order to get a printed paper manual--it's on sale there for $35.99 plus shipping--but paying that much more money for a paper manual seemed a bit much.

The 15 percent is off at gamers gate so you should be able to buy from there.  The code from ign is from gg.

Greybriar

Quote from: Martok on February 12, 2012, 07:34:54 PM
Well presumably a physical copy purchased direct from their store would still require Steam, so it's just as well you didn't order from them.
That was why I was considering buying both the digital download from GamersGate and the boxed version from the Paradox Webshop. Sorry I didn't make myself clear.

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 12, 2012, 07:37:05 PM
The 15 percent is off at gamers gate so you should be able to buy from there.  The code from ign is from gg.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to check IGN out.

W.S. Hancock

Played the demo some last night and today.  Really impressed with the game, an immense improvement over CKI.

I have preordered through Gamer's Gate, which I prefer to Steam.

Looking forward to the release.

Bison

Normally I go through gamersgate for PI stuff.  However I think I'll pull the trigger on the pre-order I've had sitting in my cart for the last 5 days on Steam.

Arctic Blast

Pre-ordered it last week on GG. I was already hyped for it, an the favorable impressions of the people around these parts in the Beta won me over.

Grim.Reaper

Well, we are just about there....just a number of hours away now....hope it lives up to the good reviews received.

Bison

son_of_montfort

I can tell you all this: I played several hours today in the late beta I have... and it was some of the most fun I've had in a long long time.

For more... you will have to wait until I write something up more official.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Martok

[Martok rolls Willpower check]

Made it!  ...Barely. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Toonces

Man, this is hard.  I realize, though, that I have the entire Europa Universalis collection, practically (except CK1), including Rome and Vae Victus.  I'm on a bit of a Rome kick lately, so I think I can jump into that and put CK2 off until it's in the bin.

But, I really hate that I'm always 6-12 months behind you guys on "the next big thing"!  Like Skyrim...you guys had like a 3 month head start on me with that! 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Bison

I'm in on this one and went the Steam route.  Mostly because I'm freaking tired of having to manage so many different digital download accounts and Gamersgate had a string of issues for me lately.  I think I'm past the need for a physical copy of games.  I have a damned huge box of them and most of the ones I really liked I ended up getting on sale digitally anyway.  I would like to see devs and publishers produce good, in depth manuals that you could order either through an e-book outlet or as a physical copy.  Or better yet just include a dang PDF file with the game to transfer over to a tablet.