Ambush! vs NUTS!

Started by Double Deuce, November 06, 2014, 11:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Double Deuce

Barthheart's Ambush! forum game has me thinking about trying to grab up a copy, along with its' modules via eBay but initial scouting shows it might be a very pricey quest. I normally play SASL but am starting to get burned out so I was researching similar games but at the lower man-to-man level and came across NUTS!. My understanding after seeing some reviews indicate they are extremely similar so I am planning to go with the one to be had for the lower price.

Anyone familiar with both and have a preference?

GJK

My big complaint with Ambush is the paragraph lookup's for every single hex that you move in to (as I recall).  This is one of those boardgames that I wouldn't mind having a "Game Assist Program" for.  Something like playing it on vassal where the paragraph is rolled for/looked up whenever you move but you still do the actual combat sequence and dice rolling.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Grimnirsson

Quotelookup's for every single hex that you move in to (as I recall)

You recall correctly...that's probably the reason that I never really got into it, although my first tries 13 years or so ago were quite promising what the game has to offer. It was enough to let me buy all the expansions, so I have this wonderful set sitting on the shelf here and also the Battle Hymn base game. I had the idea to play the game with my partner (Hiimori here) cooperatively one day since I suppose it would make for a great coop squad level game.

QuoteThis is one of those boardgames that I wouldn't mind having a "Game Assist Program" for.

There is a GAP for the game, but it does not all the things you mentioned.

http://flyhi.de/e-ambush/ambushproject1.html

QuoteSomething like playing it on vassal where the paragraph is rolled for/looked up whenever you move but you still do the actual combat sequence and dice rolling

Well, I know a great guy named Gary, who is wonderfully gifted with wargame enthusiasm and really skillful when it comes to doing stuff like this...I should introduce him to you one day...  ^-^
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Barthheart

Yeah, I always wanted to site down and write a database frontend fro reading the paragraphs and running the situation cards.. but that is just so much work and I'm basically lazy.  O0

I'll have to get a copy of Nuts! I could use my Sergeants Miniatures Game minis and maps to play on.......

Cyrano

They cover the same level of combat, but calling them entirely similar may go a bit far.

Ambush! stands in a proud tradition of games that try to take the hurting out of SL and games like it and let you play by -- not, of course, with -- yourself.  The paragraph-guided system has already been discussed so I will not belabor the point, but it's not something to be moved through spryly.  It plays much like what it is -- a man-to-man, map and chit game of WWII combat.  I love it.  Always have.

Nuts! is a miniatures game that can be readily played with a hand-drawn map and counters...or pennies...or anything else for that matter.  Its heart is Ed's Reaction System which, at its bottom, takes a great deal of decision making out of the hands of the player once the shooting really starts.  One unit "sees" another, 'reacts" to another and, the next thing you know, all heck as broken loose.  It reads far more complicated than it is, but it requires a way of thinking that not all gamers like.  It's not, in my mind, Ambush!, but it's a fun system nonetheless and well worth having a go at.  The really cool thing about "Nuts!" is that it easily scales up to cooperative play.  Be careful, though, you may want to start using miniatures and, well, that's a road best left untaken...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806