Main Menu

OOTP18

Started by JudgeDredd, August 09, 2017, 02:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Hi all

I just bought OOTP18 after a little hiatus (from 15 iirc).

I was just wondering if the recovery system was working ok? Not knowing a huge amount of baseball (except I really like it), I'm confused why my pitchers are knackered.

Look at the pic below...Paxton pitched in the first game (I'm now on the 4th game) and his "battery" hasn't budged AT ALL. Same for the others. They all say exhausted. I would have imagined with 3 days rest, Paxton might be making some sort of recovery...no? At this rate I'm going to get to Paxton again before he's even remotely recovered, let alone fully recovered.

Any assistance would be appreciated...thanks.
Alba gu' brath

DennisS

The history of American baseball stretches back about 150 years or so. Until about 1920, the base balls (two words back then!) were put back in play if they were hit or thrown out of play, and soon became soft, mushy, and unable to be hit hard.

There are many, many references to starting pitchers, over many decades, saving their "stuff" for high-leverage or critical situations. They threw the ball, the ball was hit, and the game went on. Pitchers didn't throw 200 innings a season, like they do now. Routinely, pitchers pitched complete games, and had just three days rest.

A decent pitcher pitched forty games a year, and threw 300 innings...or their arm went dead. Injuries happened a lot, and I can give you tons of names of players whose careers were shortened by the overuse of their pitching arms.

....but...for a fair percentage, they worked through the pain, and/or strengthened their arms sufficiently to become a "workhorse."

OOTP18 accurately reflects the modern game of baseball. Pitchers do NOT pitch on three days rest...four is standard, or even five days. Even for their start, a "quality" start is six innings or more, giving up three runs or less.

Not sure about the zero endurance for the pitcher you described..it may be the games way of not allowing you to pitch a starter more than every fifth game.

sandman2575

JD, if you were to change Paxton's position to Relief Pitcher, or take him out of the Rotation and add him to the bullpen, you'd see that his battery 'recovers' somewhat. Like Dennis says, Starting Pitchers typically get one start every 5 games in the regular season (...things change a bit in the post-season, but never mind that for now). Relief pitchers can be used in consecutive games, though that's because they usually only pitch 1-2 innings per game.

JudgeDredd

Thanks both.

He wasn't due to come back into play yet (it was only the 3rd game in)...I was just curious at the zero recovery rate.

However, after the 4th game, Paxton and Hernandez are now showing signs of recovery. There's another game to go where I imagine they will recover further.

Thanks.

I just thought it was odd not to see any movement in their recovery and it was coming round to their rotation.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I've got another one for you  >:D

I was told a player was of the DL. I went to the DL screen and moved him over to the 40-man roster (where I currently have 34 out of 40). I couldn't put him on the Active Roster because I have 25 players on there - it's full.

But the game won't let me progress. I have to be honest - the DL was one thing that confused the hell out of me before. I am currently trying to look up what the DL procedure is (does he HAVE to go on the AR or demoted to the AAA? Why can't he go on the 40 man roster (where I have space)? I'm not sure what I have to do with him...why is the 40-man roster not ok? Do I have to get rid of (demote) a player (who has options) from the Active Roster?

If I have to demote him, he ain't gonna be happy. He's not an all star - but I still don't want to demote if he was on the roster (active or 40 man)

Ta

I found this on another website
Originally Posted by overkiller View Post

Remember that the 60-day DL is reserved for ML players and those on the 40-man roster. Minor leaguers are not placed on the 60-day DL. They are placed on the x-day DL (where x is the minor league DL minimum setup under Game Options for that league). Therefore, I think the issue you are having is that the player is on the 40-man roster, got hurt, placed on the 60-day DL, and now you want him back in the minors. To move a player without options back to the minors you must removed him from the 40-man roster via waivers. And thus you must put him back on the 40-man roster first.

This may be a bug but I believe in real life, the 60-day DL is only for 40-man rostered players. So you must treat the player as if they are on the 40-man roster.

Good luck, post if you ge a solution.

Derald
Players on the 60 day DL get removed from the 40 man roster. When they are ready the GM must make room on the 40 man roster for them
I don't actually know if this guy was on the 60DL or not - I just got a message saying he could come off the DL. I have moved him to the 40man roster, but it's still saying he's on the DL. Do I have to DFA him?

EDIT - I've just read up on DFA and you only DFA if he's not on a roster (which he is)...still checking  :buck2:

EDIT - don't know if it's right, but I demoted a "lesser" SP to the minors and activated this guy from the DL. Having read the message again, it said I had a guy on the DL that had to be activated. I suspect I missed the popup option to activate the player (which I suddenly noticed on the last go). Once he was activated, it was sorted. I imagine as he was on the 40 man roster, selecting that option would have gotten rid of the message.

You live and learn, eh  :2funny:
Alba gu' brath

KyzBP

As to your first problem, Judge, there's a setting somewhere that will start the most rested starting pitcher rather than following a strict rotation.

Problem 2, if the player is just coming off the DL the you can send him on a rehab assignment at one of your minor league clubs, usually AAA.  That will buy you some time to figure out who on your 25 man roster will be demoted to make room for your returning player.

I hope that helps.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: KyzBP on August 09, 2017, 04:35:32 PM
As to your first problem, Judge, there's a setting somewhere that will start the most rested starting pitcher rather than following a strict rotation.

Problem 2, if the player is just coming off the DL the you can send him on a rehab assignment at one of your minor league clubs, usually AAA.  That will buy you some time to figure out who on your 25 man roster will be demoted to make room for your returning player.

I hope that helps.

Thank you.

I saw the option for adjusting the rotation. It's only the first week of the season, so I'm not going to change that yet. Presumably I have to have another SP in my active roster? I currently have 5 SPs, 6 RPs and 1 Closer.

I think part of the 2nd problem was that the season has just started and I had people on the DL and I've no idea why...so I didn't know what DL he was on nor what roster (if any). But I'll plough on.  O0
Alba gu' brath

Father Ted

To misquote Obelix: these Americans are crazy.  Stick to WitW JD: it's less complicated.

JudgeDredd

I love baseball though  :notworthy:

Americans do love their "stamina" fans though with these looooong sports. 3 hours roughly for a televised game of baseball. American Football - 15 minute quarters making up a game which lasts 3-4 hours! Indy 500. Daytona 500.

But I do love 'em.   :clap:
Alba gu' brath

mirth

Baseball is America's Naptime.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

jamus34

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 09, 2017, 05:06:04 PM
I love baseball though  :notworthy:

Americans do love their "stamina" fans though with these looooong sports. 3 hours roughly for a televised game of baseball. American Football - 15 minute quarters making up a game which lasts 3-4 hours! Indy 500. Daytona 500.

But I do love 'em.   :clap:

The irony is I've started getting into futbol as I never really cared for baseball and quickly losing interest in football due to all the rules and regulations they keep adding.
Insert witty comment here.

Barthheart

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 09, 2017, 04:06:01 PM
Thanks both.

He wasn't due to come back into play yet (it was only the 3rd game in)...I was just curious at the zero recovery rate.

However, after the 4th game, Paxton and Hernandez are now showing signs of recovery. There's another game to go where I imagine they will recover further.

Thanks.

I just thought it was odd not to see any movement in their recovery and it was coming round to their rotation.

IIRC, they don't recover a steady amount after pitching a game.  It's not a straight line going up.

They tend to stay down low for a few days, then start shooting back up in a day or two before they're up again.  To represent their throwing arm being sludge for a few days after a game - heavily penalized if put in during those essential recovery days right afterward.

They also don't always fully recover before their next showing.  Varies with player abilities, age, etc.   Some recover faster than others.  The amount of fatigue they suffer per game can also vary, I think.