Honorverse fans?

Started by bayonetbrant, October 28, 2015, 05:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

Been an Honorverse fan for over a decade now.  Very cool to hear they're making a new game for it. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

airboy

I met David Webber at Liberty Con this summer.

He is a very nice man.  He and his wife also adopted a couple of kids which is an amazing act of charity.

BanzaiCat

I'm becoming one. Really liked the first Honorverse book, which I just finished recently. I'll start Book 2 soon.

bayonetbrant

Honorcon is back in Raleigh again this year...  3 miles form my house.  Just sayin'
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 25, 2016, 10:54:34 PM
Honorcon is back in Raleigh again this year...  3 miles form my house.  Just sayin'

Just because I like Star Trek doesn't mean I'm going to be anywhere near a bunch of Jedi nerds dressed up like Gandalf henchmen in the Order of the Phoenix.

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 26, 2016, 06:16:14 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 25, 2016, 10:54:34 PM

Just because I like Star Trek doesn't mean I'm going to be anywhere near a bunch of Jedi nerds dressed up like Gandalf henchmen in the Order of the Phoenix.

Say what you will, but it was awesome when Frodo fired the photon torpedo that blew up the Death Eaters.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

That was quite classic, but you gotta admit that the Space Cowboy* using the Death Blossom* when they were escaping from New York from the evil Robot Jox but the Toxic Avenger tripped up the CHUDs...well, actually, I'd pay money to see that sh*t!

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on August 25, 2016, 08:36:21 PM
I'm becoming one. Really liked the first Honorverse book, which I just finished recently. I'll start Book 2 soon.

I've almost finished book one and have really enjoyed it.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

OJsDad

Reposting from the What Are You Reading thread, though most of you here have seen it

You can download most of the Honorverse books for free.  When Storm From Shadows was released, there was a CD that had all of the previous books included on it.  There were other David Weber books on there also, like all four of his Starfire books, the first two 1632 books, ect.  I would also recommend Apocalypse Troll.   

Yes, this is legit.  The link to the site is on David Weber's web site. 

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

This link will give you the order to read all of the stories and books up to Mission of Honor. 

http://www.davidweber.net/downloads/30-honorverse-timeline-3.html
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

OJsDad

Also, if you curious about some things, David Weber's site has a FAQ section that answers various questions.  Be cautious though, because there is material there for books you may not have read yet

http://www.davidweber.net/
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

airboy

Quote from: OJsDad on August 28, 2016, 12:28:06 PM
Reposting from the What Are You Reading thread, though most of you here have seen it

You can download most of the Honorverse books for free.  When Storm From Shadows was released, there was a CD that had all of the previous books included on it.  There were other David Weber books on there also, like all four of his Starfire books, the first two 1632 books, ect.  I would also recommend Apocalypse Troll.   

Yes, this is legit.  The link to the site is on David Weber's web site. 

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

This link will give you the order to read all of the stories and books up to Mission of Honor. 

http://www.davidweber.net/downloads/30-honorverse-timeline-3.html

A lot of these books are on Baen's free library.  But a bunch are not.  I have one of the physical Baen CDs in my possession.  I had no idea they had released this many of them.

I'm not totally sure that all of these CDs are legitimately out there for download.  But I'm certain at least some of them are.

I don't feel personal guilt because I already own every single one of these books in a physical copy - almost all in hardcover.

GDS_Starfury

needs to be the next big sci-fi tv series.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.