Pro Strategy Football 2019

Started by Nefaro, September 08, 2018, 08:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Nefaro on September 21, 2018, 11:15:53 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 19, 2018, 05:13:38 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 19, 2018, 03:07:21 PM

The implementation of such ethereal things will never win over many people in these sports management sims IMO.  Can only cause a lot of headache.

Not sure about that, people in sports sim world often clamor for more control and detail (without sometimes thinking of the impact)....I think people welcome it if done in a good and non-tedious way, along with it being potentially optional.

For every 1 person who's happy about the implementation of individual players' feelings, there will be three who are not. 

I'm sure that attempting to emulate the touchy feelz isn't quite so straightforward as it may seem at times, and is open to too much personal interpretation.

We'll agree to disagree on your on how many people you think would be interested.  Never said it was easy but firmly believe if done well and with meaning, more people would be interested.

Pro Strategy Football

Quick update.  I've just released a small patch.

Enhancements:
- Any new games you play will display the tackler or sacker
- Added Scout button to more Career screens
- Improved AI logic regarding going for two points

thanks,
Kerry

Pro Strategy Football

I want to support past NFL teams, because my brother and I enjoy them.  In addition, some people want to be able to create college leagues.

Because I'm using a binary file rather than a database, I need to select some maximum size (technical reasons), so I'm going to see if I can get 64 or 128 teams to work.  That should be enough for almost all needs.  In a future year, maybe I'll look into converting this all back to a database with separate tables, and that would really free me up.  Unfortunately, that's quite a task.

After thinking about this, for next year's version, I'm inclined to do this:
1) restrict career play to NFL leagues, 32 teams or less (see below for why)
2) allow exhibition and single-season leagues to be up to 128 teams (college, high school, collection, etc), and provide ability to manually create schedules, playoffs, etc
3) allow for past NFL seasons, including scheduling and playoffs differences
4) provide configurable rules (past nfl, college, high school, etc)

For PSF 2020, given my time constraints and the number of features I'm trying to add, I may have to limit career play to actual nfl leagues, rather than college, simply because with college, I'd have to modify it a lot to handle players graduating and leaving early.  If I can get exhibition play and single-season play to work with any type league (college, collection, nfl), that should be a good start.

Same with schedules.  I know how to create them for the NFL, and I can even use the league year (and number of teams) to create past shedules, but any other types of leagues would be different.

From what I've read here, I think you guys would be ok with this, because you mainly want to play with modern NFL leagues and add some more management options (primarily free agency), but I wanted to run this past you, because I'm starting on this design, and it's pretty big, so I want to try to get at least next year's leagues to be good, even if I then expand it in future years.

Nefaro

I only run modern NFL teams.  Multi-season career. 

No input on the rest, as the above is all I require.  O0

Steelgrave

I like everything I'm reading. I'm especially a fan of career play with past NFL teams. I fell in love with the NFL back in middle school in the 70's and grew up a rabid Luv Ya Blue junkie. I always start my career team in the 70's and run my franchise until the modern era.

Pro Strategy Football

Yeah, my older brother got me to watching Roger Staubach and Coach Tom Landry back in 75!

The only thing about that is that I imagine next year's version may not include changing the number of teams or the length of schedule.  I may be able to add that in the future, but that's pretty tricky.  The NFL added two divisions and moved teams around and all.

What I really hope for is to get at least exhibition online multiplayer in next year, along with custom teams and leagues, probably an in-game league editor, and light free agency.  That's a lot, but would be a great step, I think.

Pro Strategy Football

[UPDATE - gave wrong link before!]

In case anyone's interested, a fellow on Steam has created a great league of some of the past Super Bowl winners - pretty cool seeing Bob Griese in there, along with Troy Aikman!  I HAVE to make the league bigger next year, though - I want a league with *all* past Super Bowl winners.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/196dXmSwvtUNgaJgkGSP4cFpjqR5tsG9A/view

Teams included:

NFC

EAST
1992 Cowboys
1986 Giants
1991 Redskins
2017 Eagles

NORTH
1985 Bears
1991 Lions
1969 Vikings
1996 Packers

SOUTH
1998 Falcons
2009 Saints
2002 Buccaneers
2015 Panthers

WEST
1989 49ers
1999 Rams
2013 Seahawks
2008 Cardinals

AFC

EAST
2004 Patriots
1968 Jets
1990 Bills
1972 Dolphins

NORTH
1978 Steelers
2000 Ravens
1988 Bengals
1986 Browns

SOUTH
2006 Colts
1999 Jaguars
1999 Titans
2012 Texans

WEST
1998 Broncos
1976 Raiders
1969 Chiefs
1994 Chargers

WYBaugh

Looks like it's superbowl teams for those who have won a SB and the best team of the rest.  Jags have never won a superbowl.

Steelgrave

Pretty cool though! That's the kind of stuff I love to see.

DennisS

Quote from: Pro Strategy Football on October 27, 2018, 11:04:02 AM
In case anyone's interested, a fellow on Steam has created a great league of some of the past Super Bowl winners - pretty cool seeing Bob Griese in there, along with Troy Aikman!  I HAVE to make the league bigger next year, though - I want a league with *all* past Super Bowl winners.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z4kGOVfekN9EBP5HbWoebSIEAh8OFszj/view

Teams included:

NFC

EAST
1992 Cowboys
1986 Giants
1991 Redskins
2017 Eagles

NORTH
1985 Bears
1991 Lions
1969 Vikings
1996 Packers

SOUTH
1998 Falcons
2009 Saints
2002 Buccaneers
2015 Panthers

WEST
1989 49ers
1999 Rams
2013 Seahawks
2008 Cardinals

AFC

EAST
2004 Patriots
1968 Jets
1990 Bills
1972 Dolphins

NORTH
1978 Steelers
2000 Ravens
1988 Bengals
1986 Browns

SOUTH
2006 Colts
1999 Jaguars
1999 Titans
2012 Texans

WEST
1998 Broncos
1976 Raiders
1969 Chiefs
1994 Chargers

How easy is it to filter all the players into one pool for a draft?

IF all the players are in the draft, what do the teams look like? Hall of Famers at every position? How does this affect gameplay?

Orlando Pace at tackle, just doesn't allow sacks...going up against Lawrence Taylor, a sack generating machine. What is the result? Mediocre play by Taylor?

Same with QB's, facing the greatest cover corners to ever play. Do we get WORSE offense, due to the magnificent defenses? OR, does defense even matter, because ALL offensive players are pro-bowl caliber?

This is the same problem with all star teams in baseball....Sandy Koufax, with a .190 batting average against, vs. Ty Cobb, with a lifetime .366.

Cobb got his average hitting against everyone, so did Koufax. In this case, Koufax goes up, Cobb comes down, then NO ONE is happy, with Koufax giving up 5 runs a game, and Cobb's average dropping down to .280.

Pro Strategy Football

If you give all players 9 ratings, then you pretty much increase all chances (simplifying it).  A QB with a leadership of 9 and redzone offense of 9 has a very good chance when in the end zone and also to come from behind, especially against a team with an average red zone defense.  However, the logic sort of (roughly) has "about 50% of the time consider the offense more than the defense and about 50% of the time consider the defense more" to try to account for just what you're saying.

In my (very humble) opinion, if you fantastic teams meet, both having great defenses and great defenses, then life shows that on any given day, anything can happen, from one team blowing out the other (77 Dallas blowing out the Orange Crush), or look at the great Vikings teams.  Or you may get a defensive struggle, or an offensive struggle.

Remember, the game is just calculating chances, but then a 100-sided dice is rolled, so sometimes a team with a poor discipline rating (75 Steelers) will get no penalties in the Super Bowl.

All that said, I'm always open to tweaking the engine even more (but of course, never based on a small sample, because real life has amazing things happen).

I hope that helps!

thanks,
Kerry

Pro Strategy Football

Quote from: DennisS on October 28, 2018, 09:05:20 AM
How easy is it to filter all the players into one pool for a draft?

I'm not sure I answered your question about the draft, but I don't quite understand it?  You can edit the draft, if that's what you're asking.

thanks,
Kerry

Pro Strategy Football

Ugh, I apologize - I gave the wrong link before.  Here's the link to the very nice league.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/196dXmSwvtUNgaJgkGSP4cFpjqR5tsG9A/view

Pro Strategy Football

If you have Pro Strategy Football 2019 and are an older fan, you HAVE to download this league and image set! I coached the '77 Cowboys against the '75 Steelers, and it was a great match, with the lead changing multiple times!  Be sure to load his image set, too *after* you load the league.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wnX8HVRuMehmbE6s7FsrJxDWLR8LvWeW

Grim.Reaper

I am waiting for a really good 50% off sale:)