Started by JudgeDredd, May 11, 2018, 05:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I did the following

Applied Alclad Aqua Gloss II
Put Microset on where the decals were going
Applied decal
Put Microsol on the decal
Dried the area with a cotton bud, using it to push the decal down onto the surface
Applied Aclad Aqua Gloss II to the model to protect the decals
Applied a wash

I don't know what I could've done differently. I may not have used enough Microsol. There's nothing more I could've done with the Microset - you only need some to cover where the decal is going and that's to help you place it and shift it around.

Perhaps it's the Alclad aqua gloss or maybe I didn't use enough Microset. Or it might just have been the decals. You can get very good decals and really shit decals.

I'll use more Microsol next time - if it's not that, maybe I'll switch back to using Klear floor polish instead of Alclad
Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

after rereading the first post I see the problem...

Airfix  ::)
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on May 15, 2018, 04:07:28 PM
after rereading the first post I see the problem...

Airfix  ::)
lol

Honestly though - I probably didn't use enough Microsol...I have had decals rip before so I probably tend to go easy on the stuff

Thanks for caring to post  O0  :2funny:
Alba gu' brath

GDS_Starfury

Ive seen cars from the 40's that require less bondo they a typical Airix kit.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Boggit

A really nice job. :bd:

Do you ever put your planes into a diorama for dramatic effect?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

em2nought

Came out swell,  a little darker than I've always pictured them.  They probably faded in the sun pretty quickly, I always associate fading with blue paint jobs.  I know that stuff used to work great with Monogram decals, I think Airfix decals are a little thicker?  I've always liked the beefy Navy fighter aircraft, particularly the Wildcat and Hellcat.
Stolen elections have consequences.

JudgeDredd

Thanks.

I thought it was pretty dark too...especially the underneath.

Also, I was really surprised that "Dark Sea Grey" gave such a blue look  :idiot2:

The Airfix kits reference Humbrol paints - so I had to use a conversion chart to get the correct Tamiya colour. I guess the term "correct" might be vague  :DD It's close though.

No-one noticed that I'd forgotten to take the Tamiya tape off the windows on the underside of the fuselage. I have done so now and it adds a touch of interest.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

One last thing. I know - now at least - that I kind of used the wrong weathering. These probably wouldn't have been dusty on carrier ops. But I was just going for taking off the "new look".  L:-)
Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 22, 2018, 01:46:03 AM
One last thing. I know - now at least - that I kind of used the wrong weathering. These probably wouldn't have been dusty on carrier ops. But I was just going for taking off the "new look".  L:-)

They didn't always fly from carriers. Pretend it's coral dust from improvised Pacific island runways.  O0
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 22, 2018, 07:15:00 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on May 22, 2018, 01:46:03 AM

They didn't always fly from carriers. Pretend it's coral dust from improvised Pacific island runways.  O0
I had that thought in mind - though I was thinking more Guadalcanal  :coolsmiley:
Alba gu' brath