Changelog - picture heavy

Started by Andy ONeill, January 02, 2018, 02:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy ONeill

Sandbox

I'm currently prototyping effect of arc of fire on which units are in range.

Andy ONeill

Sandbox

Working out the points defining a unit's position.
This is part of which unit can shoot at which.
Turns out there are a lot of complicated edge cases when you mix in the angle and formation of each unit, angle of facing and multiple potential targets.

Andy ONeill

MapEditor

Import custom paths.
On the file menu there's a new option which allows you to import tagged paths out the custom resource dictionary into your map.
This means you then don't need to distribute your custom resource dictionary to anyone else who wants to edit your map.
You can largely work with these paths like you drew them in the editor.
( Although in this initial version there are some caveats and probably the odd bug lurking there ).
For our internal purposes this will make it easier for Ed the graphics guy to draw using his fancy tooling and for Ezra to then import into the Map Editor.

Andy ONeill

MapEditor

Stabilising work on new path import process.
Removed old obsolete custom path processing.
Only imported paths will now contribute to what terrain is in a given map cell.

Andy ONeill

Several fixes
Scenario editor hadn't been changed to use:
The persisted compass rose visibility
The standardised dialogue for map open.

Scenario Editor
Storing Places data in the scenario.
Moving the Kriegsspiel / Simulation button
Adding tabcontrol in left panel
Move current left panel content into first item of tab.
New tab to allow editing of places data for a scenario
Save edited places to scenario.

Still needs a bit more work - eg the panel says what terrain the mouse is over probably now belongs in a different tab

Andy ONeill

Scenario Editor

Bit more work on places.
Needed to clear places when another scenario or map loaded to ensure that version's places used.

Andy ONeill

Map Editor

Added New Map option.
Reset map data for new map and when loading a different map.

Andy ONeill

Map Editor

Added json attribute so the terrain type of a terrain should be serialised as string.
Ezra somehow has a map where all the terrain types are wrong.
I can't reproduce this issue.
Maybe it's win 7 related somehow but the data is serialised to json and back again when you save/load a map.
Maybe this is somehow failing on his win 7 machine.

Andy ONeill

Map Editor

Bug Fix.

Changing the zindex of terrain was leading to terrains having the wrong set of points associated.

The Id of the two objects was out of step.

Andy ONeill

Map Editor

More testing and minor changes for re-ordering terrains.
I experimented with changing the hypsometric colours in order to try and give a more consistent tonal gradient between brown and cream.
Doing that resulted in a washed-out cooler look which is less attractive.... so I then backed the change out.

Andy ONeill

Army Editor

I couldn't reproduce the issue reported with errors whilst deleting.
The current version of the map editor seems to work fine no matter whether I open a file, save, paste, edit.
I tried everything I can think of - no error.

The army file name should probably match the army name though and you can easily edit the army name.
I've changed file saving so it copes with changes to army name.
Hence if you open army XXX and change it's name to YYY when you save, the original XXX file will now be deleted and your army saved as YYY.
If you wanted to email an army to someone else, it should now be obvious in file manager which file is what.

Andy ONeill

Map Editor

SnapLines

Line (only) stable, still got to do area terrain types.
This new process allows you to define terrain using straight lines rather than the "ink" curved lines.

Andy ONeill

Map Editor

Redid the bridge area calculation.

This was marking an area equal to the line drawn but bridges are drawn from the start point to the end.

SnapLine

Some refinement of the line terrains process.
Added areas.

Like when you're drawing these freehand, areas are self closing and to draw a square you draw a U.

For example:

Translated to a Field gives:

The dashed line is from the last point clicked to the cursor.
That screen grab doesn't include the cursor.

Not everything can work with this - removed those terrains which will not from the combo
Seems stable now.

I wasn't particularly careful drawing the lines there.
If you draw a line doesn't look right you can reset.
Drawing a line precisely around a field or next to another is a bit fiddly.

Since these are translated into regular terrains you can of course also delete one after you translate.

Andy ONeill

Army Editor

Blank out description for new army.

SandBox

Calculating the points for a unit in square formation.

Map Editor

In order to try and improve overall performance of the map editor when a complex map is being edited I experimented with virtualising the left tabs.
This does not noticeably improve performance and introduces a number of complications.
I've parked this work in a separate branch.
It'd be nice if switching  tabs was instant, but it seems likely saving the user that second would take an inordinate amount of work.

Andy ONeill

Scenario Editor

Fix the mechanism handles routed validation failures.
The nuget xaml behaviors are subtly incompatible with part of MVVMLight.
I expect Laurent Bugnion will change the reference in eventtocommand eventually but I need a workround for now.

All
Reduce size of the infantry square formation.
A "real" battalion square would maybe be 50 yards or so square making it under a quarter of a battalion frontage.
That would be tiny if I did that though so half the frontage square will have to do.
It's still going to be too big but this now as small as I can make it and you can still make out the kriegsspiel strength bands.

SandBox
More work making get the "target" points for a piece into a generic method that varies based on formation.
This is the points on a line for all but square when it's 4 lines.