Main Menu

Boom

Started by Wburn, October 11, 2019, 10:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wburn

Well here it is day 2 without power. Gaming pleasure, Generator maintenance. Hot Fueling and best of all phone tag with PGE

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XagQ3owbBEM

Barthheart

Yikes! Good luck and don't go all One Second After....  :hide:

airboy

Quote from: Wburn on October 11, 2019, 10:23:03 AM

Well here it is day 2 without power. Gaming pleasure, Generator maintenance. Hot Fueling and best of all phone tag with PGE

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XagQ3owbBEM

Are you in California where PG&E cut power to wildfire warning areas?

Wburn

Not really in the wild fire area. I live in the coastal mountains outside of Santa Cruz California. It is forested here but with Redwoods which typically don't burn since their bark is fire resistant.  I would say the wild fire areas are further north and east of where I live. Typically Oakland Hills, Sonoma county and those areas north east of San Francisco. After living through earthquakes and major deluges you get use to the power being off for a few days but then there is a reason.
This shut down was based on weather data which my or may not happen regarding winds. With the bankruptcy, our power company, PG&E is doing all it can to avoid liability due to it's faulty and aged infrastructure by securing power to millions.

Gusington

Your avatar and handle...they are irony.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

airboy

Dozens of stories about PG&E have appeared in the financial press.  The worst one IMHO was a lengthy Wall St. Journal article on how PG&E lied to regulators, stockholders, and higher managers about the degree of maintenance they were doing on their lines.  This included both updating lines (many are original from when the lines were put up in the 1930s and 1940s) and clearing trees from around the lines.

PG&E also hired secondary companies to do the work, and they lied to PG&E sometimes with the company's knowledge.

But the California utility board was concerned about "green energy" and did not do audits of maintenance of infrastructure like the utility commissions do in many States.

As a result of decades of lies, stupid oversight by the State of California, etc..... the problem will take billions to correct and probably a decade to fix.  California is not alone, Connecticut has more forest now than they did in 1750.  They have a lot of ice and snow, very few underground lines, and a stupid State government that goes nuts when you trim trees.  As a result, the power outages there are horrible.

DennisS

Quote from: Wburn on October 11, 2019, 12:00:39 PM
Not really in the wild fire area. I live in the coastal mountains outside of Santa Cruz California. It is forested here but with Redwoods which typically don't burn since their bark is fire resistant.  I would say the wild fire areas are further north and east of where I live. Typically Oakland Hills, Sonoma county and those areas north east of San Francisco. After living through earthquakes and major deluges you get use to the power being off for a few days but then there is a reason.
This shut down was based on weather data which my or may not happen regarding winds. With the bankruptcy, our power company, PG&E is doing all it can to avoid liability due to it's faulty and aged infrastructure by securing power to millions.

Tis the season. A massive area of high pressure that slams in after an arctic surge provides the SW US with very strong easterly wind. These east winds created hot, dry, "Santa Ana" winds, and vastly increase the fire danger.