Main Menu

WW2 shooters

Started by acctingman, September 06, 2018, 08:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Battlefield 5 is upcoming!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Toonces

I don't see how you can log 1500 hours into a game and then possibly feel like you didn't get a great return on your money.  Heck, if I added up all the hours for every game in my Steam library I probably wouldn't hit 1500 hours.

Anyway, on topic, Rising Storm is my WW2 shooter of choice.  If you get into a server with a good group of guys playing, it can totally change your whole perspective on what MP gaming could be. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Jarhead0331

I enjoyed the Brothers in Arms series, including Earned in Blood, Hell's Highway and Road to Hill 30. I also enjoyed Medal of Honor: Airborne.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

W8taminute

Quote from: Toonces on September 08, 2018, 10:18:12 AM
I don't see how you can log 1500 hours into a game and then possibly feel like you didn't get a great return on your money.  Heck, if I added up all the hours for every game in my Steam library I probably wouldn't hit 1500 hours....

I can if you take the persons' maturity into consideration.  Spoiled brats (1500hrs invested or not) are the most likely to turn on you in an instant if all of the sudden a patch changes things they didn't want changed.  LOL!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

On Red Orchestra / Rising Storm, I see there's a single player mode (I have some versions in my library somehow, who knows on what impulse sale ;) ), but I've never tried it. Partly because I can't quite imagine sp is good in this game, simply because I know it was never designed for sp.

Has anyone played it sp? I'm just curious about any impressions.  ???
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

jomni

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 08, 2018, 09:01:31 PM
On Red Orchestra / Rising Storm, I see there's a single player mode (I have some versions in my library somehow, who knows on what impulse sale ;) ), but I've never tried it. Partly because I can't quite imagine sp is good in this game, simply because I know it was never designed for sp.

Single player is playing the maps with bots.

Jarhead0331

I would like to reiterate my vote for the Brothers in Arms series. I even reloaded them and have been playing through Hell's Highway again. The game holds up very well and still offers a pretty intense WWII combat experience. It has a unique cover, suppression and flank mechanic that encourages the player to wisely use his squads to fix the enemy and then flank to take them out. It also has destructible terrain making some positions difficult to hold indefinitely.

In any event...these games should be very cheap now and are definitely worth trying out. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Father Ted

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 08, 2018, 09:01:31 PM

Its only use is acquaint you with the controls and the different roles.  As you've already bought it I would give it a go, but the SP mode doesn't constitute a game IMO.

Father Ted

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 09, 2018, 10:46:09 AM
I would like to reiterate my vote for the Band of Brothers series. I even reloaded them and have been playing through Hell's Highway again. The game holds up very well and still offers a pretty intense WWII combat experience. It has a unique cover, suppression and flank mechanic that encourages the player to wisely use his squads to fix the enemy and then flank to take them out. It also has destructible terrain making some positions difficult to hold indefinitely.

In any event...these games should be very cheap now and are definitely worth trying out.

I enjoyed the first two back in the day - evocative visuals and sounds I thought.  A couple of irritations though: sometimes the puzzle aspect was a bit over the top for me, and also the shooting was unnecessarily difficult.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 09, 2018, 10:46:09 AM
I would like to reiterate my vote for the Band of Brothers series. I even reloaded them and have been playing through Hell's Highway again. The game holds up very well and still offers a pretty intense WWII combat experience. It has a unique cover, suppression and flank mechanic that encourages the player to wisely use his squads to fix the enemy and then flank to take them out. It also has destructible terrain making some positions difficult to hold indefinitely.

+1 for the Brothers in Arms series.

You can get the first 3 games in one package for $15 on Steam.  https://store.steampowered.com/sub/1847/

(if you're patient this package has been on sale for around $4)

Jarhead0331

Dutch collaborator

Headshot

German remains from grenade blast

Shredding with an MG42

Some of the boys

Bazooka team in action

More limbs separating from well placed grenade
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog