So that is where all the floppy disks went

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 26, 2016, 04:38:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Looks like the government is still running the missle system off floppy disks from the 1970's.....now we know where all those things went:)

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/26/us/pentagon-floppy-disks-nuclear/index.html

Steelgrave

The younger folks in uniform have likely never seen a floppy disk outside of work!

mirth

So David Lightman can still dial into WOPR with a modem...
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bbmike

Again, like Battlestar Galactica, it's a good thing! No one can hack those 70's systems!  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Wes

This one goes into a little more detail:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36389711#sa-ns_mchannel=rss&ns_source=PublicRSS20-sa

Favorite Quotes:

"It's a good thing," he said. "It's a good, old proper technology that actually works and is proven."

"We all thought that putting data on CDs would last for ever but that idea went out of the window a long time ago," he added.

"Would you rather have a system that is proven to work or a machine running Windows 10?" he asked.

(Hell Yeah! :) )
"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."  - Frank Herbert

Grim.Reaper

Speaking of Wargames...and something completely stupid:)  I was thinking about this the other day....

At the start of the movie, the missile commander fails to turn his key and the other person in the silo points his weapon at him, ordering him to turn his key....seemingly going to shoot him.  Scene cuts away and the rest of the movie goes on.....

So if that was just a test and people were pointing weapons at one another, did some of them actually shoot the other person who failed to turn the key?  Or did they somehow but blanks into the guns as part of the test?  Just thinking, some of them must have carried on with their threat, which means a bunch of dead commanders:)

I know stupid, just one of those things as your driving to work:)

mirth

More importantly, why was Matthew Broderick looking for new computer games instead of banging Ally Sheedy?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: mirth on May 26, 2016, 05:16:39 PM
More importantly, why was Matthew Broderick looking for new computer games instead of banging Ally Sheedy?

Well, there is that too:)

Staggerwing

Because he has Sara Jessica Parker waiting at home...  ???
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 26, 2016, 05:31:03 PM

Because he has Sara Jessica Parker waiting at home...  ???

<shudder>

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.