Azathoth vs the World!: an Eldrich Horror AAR

Started by airboy, November 18, 2017, 06:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Turn 10

It has been a while since we last saw our heroes.  Three of them were closing on the London Gate - then silence.  [I knew I had one turn left, the suspense was gone and I had trouble getting motivated.  Plus deaths of my wife's parents, going back to work after my sabbatical.  Yes, cry me a river].

Lily Chen our Kung Foo Queen moves to London first, rests, and then encounters the gate.  The rest gives her one more sanity.

The London Gate leads to the City of the Great Race.  She does not have one clue for the pass effect so she immediately goes to the Fail Effect.

"Bursting up through an opening in the floor, a flying polyp attacks.  If you pass, the grateful Yithians help you close this Gate.  If you fail, the encounter leaves you bruised and shaken: lose 1 Health and 1 Sanity."

And for the first time the game itself fails me.  I look in the moster cup for a Flying Polyp.  Nada.  I look again - Nope.  I look to see if I did not punch it out - Nay Nay.  I go online and find out that for Eldritch Horror the Flying Polyp is in the Mountains of Madness expansion and is not included in the core game.  Knash teeth!  But thanks to the Internet, I can look up the combat properties of a Flying Polyp.

As feared, this is a bad one.  The Horror Test is at Mind -1 and you need two successes not to have a sanity hit.  The Damage Test is physical -2, it does two damage and has a toughness of 4.

Through past successes Lily plus her assets give her a 6 will.  At -1 this gives me 5 die.  I roll 3 successes (5 or 6) which is greater than the 2 horror.  So Lily steels her mind against the Flying Polyp and loses no sanity.

The Polyp attacks attempting to crush Lily.  But Lily has a carbine which gives her +5 strength per round. 
Lily's Strength = 4, plus the carbine (+5) - 2 = 7 die.  Plus Lily has a lucky rabbits foot which allows one die reroll per round.
Lilly rolls: 6,5,4,5,2,3,3 and rerolls one for another 2.  This is three successes which is greater than its 2 damage.  Lilly is unscathed and does three damage on the Flying Polyp.
Physical Round 2 Lilly rolls 4,5,6,5,4,1,2 and a reroll of 3.  This is 3 successes which downs the Flying Polyp.

The grateful Yithians help Lily close the gate.  This gets a Mythos Token for Lily.  Two Mythos Tokens are now on the Omen of Devestation Mystery which solves it.

The group has gone all over the world, solved three mysteries, so Azathoth is Prevented From Eathing the World - at least for a while.   :bd:

Go Airboy!  Another AAR is Finished!

JasonPratt

Was only slightly disappointed that Lily didn't get to Kung Pow the boss.

Quote from: airboy on July 07, 2018, 11:20:09 AM
Through past successes Lily plus her assets give her a 6 will.

And a -6 will to men she is trying to Persuade!

>:D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 07, 2018, 11:30:17 AM
Was only slightly disappointed that Lily didn't get to Kung Pow the boss.

IIRC, when Azathoth eventually enters, due to failure in closing the gates in time, his effect is something like "Azathoth eats the world.  Everything is gone.  You're F'd." 

Auto-loss, unlike the other GOOs which have some ridiculously high & nearly impossible to beat stats when they enter.