Godzilla: King of the Monsters coming 2019

Started by JasonPratt, December 10, 2018, 03:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

I wonder if the new movie will have Gorosaurus riding girlies or not?

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Steelgrave

Quote from: Gusington on December 11, 2018, 09:06:41 AM
^At this point your childhood must be almost all dust, Dad.

Childhood is highly overrated anyway  ::)  I have more fun as an adult. 

Sir Slash

Is that one of Mothra's two girls?  :o  She two-timing him now? Some women, first pretty face that comes along.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: W8taminute on December 11, 2018, 09:23:19 AM
I wonder if the new movie will have Gorosaurus riding girlies or not?

PHRASING!!! (...also grammatically incorrect as to the photo.)

This reminds me, there's a pretty amazing fan animation of a fight between Gorosaurus (from King Kong Escapes, if anyone wants to know), fighting a very similar but far more fan-maligned Toho kaiju, the "Zilla" from 98's American Godzilla.

It is craaaazy.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Reviews are going up.

A good 1/3 of this review is Bob complaining about how much of a boring slog G14 was (and Kong:SI wasn't)... and then orgasming about this one!  O0

"It doesn't need to be reviewed, it just needs to be seen!"
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

Stuckman is sounding kind of tired. C- !

"You are going to be bored to pieces with the people in this movie." Exposition through storytelling by the human characters. Competent actors giving fine performances reading bad dialogue. (Unlike Jurassic Park where the humans are great characters.)

JasonPratt

Thinks G14 is better.  :o "I know that's a fanservice moment, and I know the fans are going to go nuts..." More fun if drunk!

Sir Slash

What isn't more fun if drunk? Even drinking is more fun if you're already drunk. I really like the first movie but will probably pass big time on this one. But not on the 'drunk'.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

W8taminute

I'm beginning to realize that modern day Godzilla movies, whether they're made in the USA or in Japan, suck.  They are visual special effects masterpieces but story line wise they are horrible. 

I think it's because they are making Godzilla movies by trying to tell a realistically plausible story.  Everyone knows that to truly enjoy Godzilla movies you must tell the story in a campy non serious manner.  Couple that with modern day special effects and you'll have an awesome movie realism be damned!

Sub question:

Which Godzilla movie alien looks like they'd be more fun to hang around with?

Choice 1

Choice 2
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

Isn't that first pic Sir Slash before he puts his face on, but after he gets drunk?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Well, the Xilian leader overacted histronically (this was on purpose), so was one of the seriously great things about that film. (Which had a lot of problems but that guy was swinging for the parking lot.)

The original Planet X aliens from Monster Zero, however -- or at least one of them -- was practically by definition more fun to hang out with: Miss Namikawa! (The love interest for Nick Adams' character.)

Incidentally, while that film has I think the lowest amount of monster screentime (up until G14 anyway), it was one of the few G films with a seriously entertaining story and characters.

JasonPratt

Some snapshots of her roles in Toho kaiju films.

Sir Slash

W8aminute's first pic is NOT of me. My gun is bigger. I do still have a shirt like that in my closet from 1974.  :dreamer:

SirAndrewD

This is one movie where reviews that contain the words "nonsensical, absurd, over the top, silly, incoherent" do not at all turn me off from going to see the film.  On the contrary. 

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

I have returned. You know I know what time it is...

IS IT TIME FOR A FAQ?!

It is, oh fictional voice in my head.

ARE YOU GOING TO INDULGE IN SPOILER DISCUSSIONS?

No. .....if I can help it.

WAS THE FILM ABSURDLY OVER THE TOP?

Yes. And I loved just about every second of it.

WAS THE FILM NONSENSICAL AND INCOHERENT?

My first impression was gladly, no! -- and that is still my impression around two hours later. Certain things happen faster than they really should, but that's about all. The script is tight.

Is the story high art? Absolutely not. But it's pretty simple and well paced, and unlike G14 (or Kong: Skull Island for that matter, which I enjoyed much more than G14) it is not aggressively stupid to keep the plot going!

I treasure that increasing rarity in film these days. I genuinely cannot recall the last film I watched that wasn't crippled this way. ....maybe Spiderman: Homecoming.

Overall, I think this film is better than Avengers: Endgame.

---THAT IS ONE THOUSAND PERCENT CRAZY TALK----!!!

Well, you can't coherently say it's only because I'm a fanboy because (1) I am infamously on record about trashing films and properties I'm a genuine fan of, when they crap all over the bed (G14 being the first obvious relevant example); and (2) I'm as much a fanboy of the MCU as I am of Toho kaiju films, arguably moreso because those films have been generally high quality and tokusatsu films are very much an acquired taste due to........ let's call it "splotchy" quality. Maybe even "spotty".

BUT BETTER THAN FREAKING ENDGAME?!!?

Not better than the one real strength of Endgame, which are the characters and characterization. Of course. Duh. Although -- and here I am being super-critical of things I'm a fan of! -- Endgame stumbled a number of times on that regard, too. Not enough for me to hate it, by far, but enough for me to notice and be palpably disappointed.

Music? Equal. Easily.

Effects action? G19 is far superior to Endgame... overall. Some moments from Endgame rank up there, but for regular consistency, G19 wins hands down period.

Story? G19 wins simply by not requiring regular injections of plot nonsense to keep its bootstraps going. Unlike Endgame (and a lot of the MCU increasingly, which worries me. The writers should take a few years off and plan what the hell they're doing going forward.) Also unlike G14.

Emotional resonance? I'll give Endgame that one, because they've built it up over time. Factoring that long-running advantage out, however, maybe the same! There's a central core to G19 which is both simple and nuanced.

WE'VE HEARD THAT CHARACTER MOTIVATIONS CHANGE ALL OVER THE PLACE FOR PLOT CONVENIENCE!

I was prepared to cringe about that going in, but... well, they don't. I notice that people who say that tend to have been reaaaaalllly distracted by the action, for better and/or for worse. Can't say I blame them, but I could follow the shifts in how the key intentions worked out. Maybe that's because I was looking for it to be worse?

WE'VE HEARD THAT THE CHARACTERS ARE DIRT SIMPLE AND UNINTERESTING!

They aren't MCU quality, I fully acknowledge this. But they get the job done. And the key ones have some time for nuance.

WE'VE HEARD THE DIALOGUE IS TERRIBLE!

I heard a few clunky lines. But no, the dialogue is straightforward and gets the job done. It is as flourishy as 08 Kong (written by literary authors and also starring Kyle Chandler by the way, who gets some pretty good lines in that film?) No. Would I like it better if the dialogue was more artistic? Sure. But I don't hate it. I actually find the dialogue realistic, under the circumstances, and that's all I actually need.

YOU AREN'T TALKING MUCH ABOUT GODZILLA ET AL!

You aren't asking about Godzilla et al, oh fictional interlocutor. That's going to get into spoilers, though. And maybe needs a second part to the review.

Look, if you enjoy disaster spectacle, you should enjoy the film. Buy tickets with confidence. Be aware that little kids might find it too loud and intense, and the language was a little harsher than I was expecting (though not nearly as much as could be realistically expected!) The fact that G--d---m was used in the middle of the first trailer, was not a fluke.

If you don't enjoy super-loud flashy-bang action with creative visuals, you aren't going to like the film regardless. But it has a lot to offer along that line for afficiondos. Would it be nice if the characters were as engaging as in the first Jurassic Park (for example)? Sure. But they aren't crap. They aren't pizza, but they're steak. I'm happy with both, though I eat pizza more when I can get it.  O:-)

TL;DR -- it's like John Wick for kaiju fans instead of for gun-fu crime-drama fans. This is not praise I give lightly. It is very solid for what it sets out to do, and deserves to make a lot more profit than it will probably end up making.