Naval Warfare Simulations Announcement: Rule The Waves II

Started by Warship NWS, March 20, 2018, 02:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

Don't expect too much from the early Surface to Air missiles.  As late as the mid 60s, Roosevelt Roads test range only recorded a ten percent hit rate.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Warship NWS

Quote from: besilarius on March 22, 2018, 06:11:37 PM
Don't expect too much from the early Surface to Air missiles.  As late as the mid 60s, Roosevelt Roads test range only recorded a ten percent hit rate.

The missiles primarily being addressed will be the early ASMs..  thanks
Christopher Dean
NWS Wargaming Store
http://www.nwswargaming.net

Surtur

"Gentlemen, You Can't Fight in Here. This is the War Room!"

DoctorQuest

Quote from: RyanE on March 21, 2018, 11:24:53 AM
I was hoping they would carry some of the fixes and tactical upgrades over to Steam & Iron.  Looks like all the investment is in the RoW part.

I will probably get RTW II in any event but I think there is a valid point here. Some of us prefer the tactical flavor of SAI and it would be great if the newer assets were available in some way, shape or form. I would pay for an SAI expansion pack that included the RTW and/or RTW II assets.

I am probably asking a lot but it can't hurt to ask.  :notworthy:
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

CJReich46

So this might cover War Plan Red, Crimson, Gold...etc?

Consider me curious.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

WallysWorld

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Grim.Reaper

Nice little AAR about carrier activity from an alpha build....

The below was written (verbatim and unedited) by one of our Beta Team members testing the latest (Alpha 10.0) RTW2 test version. This was the team-members first carrier strike, and the text is his AAR of / reaction to the event:

Torp Bomber Attack

"Very exciting - above is an image showing my first airstrike. Three Japanese Raiden torpedo bombers have attacked a Russian BB of the Admiral Lazarev class in a classic anvil attack. These flew from a CVL converted from an armored cruiser. It is December 1925. All three torps missed but it was very fun watching the attack even if I couldn't see any aircraft in this attack. The splashes next to the battleship are from a Japanese battleship force that is also attacking the ship.

Because of the short range of my carrier planes my two ship division of CVLs had been steaming ahead of my three battleships but behind my scouting battlecruiser when the Russian ships appeared out of nowhere just as dawn broke. My CVLs suddenly found themselves within gun range of 3 Russian dreadnoughts, a classic dilemma that happened a number of times in USN fleet exercises. Fortunately, my battlecruiser was between my CVLs and the Russians and they concentrated their fire on the BC. My CVLs turned tail and ran south away from the Russians as fast as they could as planes were readied for a strike at an agonizingly slow speed. Minutes ticked by as my battlecruiser took a beating and my battleships raced to engage. My CVLs were steaming SE with the wind and just as they had steamed beyond the range of the enemy guns the strike was ready. They had no choice but to turn back into the wind and steam to the NW, directly toward the enemy battleships to launch the strike - a hair raising maneuver for sure, but one I was able to assist by laying a smoke screen with my destroyers. By then my battleline had begun to engage the enemy ships and when my strike arrived over the enemy formation they found themselves under simultaneous bomb, torpedo and gunfire attack. It was glorious!

My pathetic pack of 6 raw torpedo planes somehow managed to put a torpedo into the lead Russian battleship and slowed it down. The situation turned into primarily a gun battle with my little band of planes pecking away without effect. My superior battleline eventually prevailed and brought most of the enemy ships to a smoking halt until just one was desperately trying to escape. In the meantime my first strike had landed and I had managed to ready another small strike with just three torpedo planes. These plucky goons managed to put one last torpedo into the Admiral Lazarev's and her magazine blew up. What a finale!"

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THE ACTION:

There were two carriers involved of the same class:

Displacement: 12,500 tons
Speed - 28 kts
Air capacity - 12 planes each.
Air complement:
---IJN Izumo carried 6 Nakajima Hayate fighters and 6 Kawanishi Raiden torpedo bombers.
---IJN Iwate carried 6 Nakajima Hayate fighters and 3 Kawanishi Raiden torpedo bombers and 3 Kawasaki Zero floatplane scouts.

They were converted from two CAs, so had 5" belt armor which affected their ability to carry more aircraft.

Please remember that this is a work-in-progress and not all aspects of game play are complete yet, and of course some things are subject to change/improvement/etc.

solops

I have no interest in any of the air stuff planned for RTW2. I would like an option to disable the whole air thing and play gun to gun, as it should be.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DennisS

This will be different. You can set up your battle lines all you want, and min/max your cruisers' armament and speed. Personally, I will go for a f*ckton of destroyers, and all the CVE's and CVL's I can build.

ALL research would go to carriers, naval aviation, torps, torp bombers, and dive bombers. Throw a bone to ASW and destroyers, too.