Steel Division 2 Brings Single Player Strategic map campaign similar to totalwar

Started by Destraex, August 25, 2018, 04:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Steel Division 2 article:

https://www.pcgamer.com/steel-division-2-is-a-11-scale-rts-inside-a-massive-turn-based-wargame/

Interesting read. Great to hear phases are still being used and expanded on for the grand campaign. I love that system. What would be really cool though is if you could have more control over what was in your phases. It would be nice for instance to have all your heavy armour in phase A which would mean you miss out on a lot of other gear. If the enemy stopped you, by the time of phase B you would have very little left to stop him. You know. It would cost you cards or points for the later phases b and c or something. I guess the game kinda already has this system in place in sd44 to some extent.

Just had a chance to read the article properly. I love that most things will stay the same as sd44. If the campaign is as good as total war this game will be propelled to top tier. Funny that they say one engagement was 3x3 km map and then proceed to say battle maps are larger.

I like the sound of hills and better insulation but it's sounding more like red dragon. Which may be too much rush a point and not enough frontline for me. Hope the frontline system has been kept. That is my fav bit of sd44.

Bit concerned to see arty specialty coming into play. I hate artillery campers. I hope be counter battery capability without the need for spotting.

I hope when the article says 18 new divisions they mean in addition to the old ones.

I think they probably mean the deck creator.
I also remember them saying deck card art will be more realistic. Which I hope means no more watercolour blurred deck card art and some new crisp real model box cover artwork.

https://www.pcgamer.com/steel-division-2-is-a-11-scale-rts-inside-a-massive-turn-based-wargame/

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Jarhead0331

Wonder if there will be snow covered maps or if we'll see that kind of diversity in a DLC.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JasonPratt

I suspect the 18 divisions, 9 per side, will be new ones, for two simple reasons:

1.) 9 of the divisions must be on the Soviet side. Those weren't in Normandy.

2.) As a general rule, the divisions in Normandy weren't in Kursk Byelorussia or whatever. :-[
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ComradeP

The Germans would indeed need new divisions for an Operation Bagration campaign, as none of the stock or DLC divisions were in Byelorussia when Bagration was launched.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Destraex

I meant in addition to the new eastern divisions I hope they port the western ones to keep multiplayer in testing

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JasonPratt

...um. No? I think the answer is no.

You may have a Steam shortcut for convenience, and you may have it on the Ubi download service (God help you), but it isn't on Steam.

(I have it on PS3 myself.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Destraex

Pete Dero

Quote from: Destraex on August 25, 2018, 10:34:58 PM
Really strange that Ruse is not on steam.

I have it on Steam (think I had to install a 'fix' to make it ignore Uplay for single player).  Bought it on Steam when it was just released.
I just checked and it still works.

It looks like you can still get it for Steam on Amazon :

R.U.S.E. [Download]
Steam and Uplay accounts required for game activation and installation
DRM: Steam
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004FV5CDK?tag=isthcom0a-20&th=1

But :
https://www.pcgamesn.com/ruse/ruse-has-been-pulled-from-steam-and-its-website-deleted-due-to-licensing-issues
https://steamed.kotaku.com/players-feeling-abandoned-after-strategy-game-ruse-remo-1768050883

Destraex

I like the campaign map. But am unsure about it literally looking like a map. I guess I am used to total war where maps are literally like scrolling over the terrain from the air. But is it meant to show undulation? I see a lot of plateaus like air land battle had but they were really only like levels of a car park. You are on level one or two and never in between essentially.

Looks to me like the air battle is different and separate from the land battle pieces on the campaign map which is good. But how does this fit in with the deck system which includes organic air support for each division?

That hangar view at the start looks bare and drab and the vehicles on their own very low resolution. Is this the vaunted armoury? Just a vehicle 3D view? I thought steel division did that? Or can you compare two divisions vehicles?

Is the campaign wego or traditional turn based? Do units only get to travel on roads? Does the terrain on the campaign map reflect the zoomed in tactical map? Or is each battle basically connected by a road so their is no flanking enemy positions except via road? I don't see any supply columns on th campaign map? Is supply a thing? Will their be horse drawn supply to n the csmps Gun map and will it be capturable?

Jarhead0331

^Jesus, dude. You're a tough sell. I think it looks fantastic and as far as the strategic layer campaign map goes...LOVE IT!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

GDS_Starfury

Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 29, 2018, 09:49:41 AM
^Jesus, dude. You're a tough sell. I think it looks fantastic and as far as the strategic layer campaign map goes...LOVE IT!

Not at all.
Notwithstanding any unforeseen circumstances I will be a pre-order buyer for this. #1 is probably my favourite game of the last year.
But I had "hoped" to see some improvement on the things i pointed out about the last title when it came out. There were major problems with terrain that was not flat not just because it was not flat, but because the game had no idea about it both when it came to AI and when it came to not being able to depress cannons. You can see in the screenshots that units still seem to shoot straight ahead when on high ground.

jomni

Excited but wary at the same time. I reinstalled SD44 to give it another chance.