Main Menu

WWII Online

Started by nht, October 23, 2015, 09:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

EDIT: *redundent*
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bardolph

My favorite memories of WWII Online are somewhere near release date trying to get a squad in a truck towing an AT gun to town and watching squad members fly out of the truck until only the driver was left, and the great forum censorship disaster. They added some automated censor program to the forums but it kept censoring commonly used words and phrases if they contained potentially dirty words within them. So "hello" became "hecko", "cockpit" became "chickenpit", "armor slope" became "armor asian", "circumstantial" became "cirbodilyfluidstantial" and on and on. Was more fun than the game itself. 

The game was a great idea, but it just didn't pull it off. Planetside did it better IMHO.

Apocalypse 31

The current state is just so pathetic.

"Developers" still talking about adding the same things promised 10+ years ago, and begging it's even smaller remaining player base for even more money to keep a dead game on life support.

I cringe whenever I get an email from CRS.

Father Ted

I was talking to someone today about this game and he said that the flight models were really good.  Now, I found this hard to believe, but didn't want to argue.  Does anyone know what the flying portion of this game is like?

Bardolph

Back in the heyday I remember hearing some folks praise the flying part. My computer couldn't handle it back then so I stayed on the ground.

Silent Disapproval Robot

The flying was decent for a combined-arms sim.  It's not comparable to a dedicated flight sim but it had enough features to make it feel satisfying and believable.  The biggest drawback was the limited draw distance.  You couldn't see other aircraft until they were quite close. 

Father Ted

Thanks for that guys.  The chap I was talking to is the leader of the course (computing) at my son's college.  This chap is of a groggy sort of age and we discussed many games which we had both played, which was quite a surreal experience.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on September 12, 2018, 08:53:02 AM
The current state is just so pathetic.

"Developers" still talking about adding the same things promised 10+ years ago, and begging it's even smaller remaining player base for even more money to keep a dead game on life support.

I cringe whenever I get an email from CRS.

That is certainly one way to look at it.  But I tend to see the positive side of the coin.

It takes resources to run an MMO, and I doubt that CRS is making much money. There is something to be said for the continuity, and there is some comfort that I can pick up in WWII online where I left off six or seven years ago.  Also, I think the old traditional subscription model means that you don't see some of the blatant "buy gold coins to get a decent tank" model in other games. Those games quickly become "the haves" vs. "the targets who don't want to pay".  Other games that had "free" community servers rarely last long...a subscription just means paying someone to keep the thing going.

Of course...all this philosophy from a guy who does not subscribe to WWII Online...:)
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

em2nought

I can't believe it's still a going concern after all these years.  I remember the "pink" screen of death.  I thought the flying didn't feel too bad.  I was only around for a free month I think, not really my thing.  I think my dial up connection back then was better than my "high speed" connection now. lmao
Stolen elections have consequences.

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

SirAndrewD

This is amazing to me. 

Hoping the air portion has HOTAS support.

I played this from literal day one when they had the disastrous "Phat Pipes" launch. 

I even chided the devs of CRS at GenCon that year when we stat next to them at a Kobe Steak Milwaukee (when Gencon was still in Milwaukee). 

It was really fun back in the day.  I remember the endless back and forth of both sides trying to take Dinant. 

It'd be neat to revisit it with a new engine.  I flew an Bf-109 a ton in that game,  doing it again with my HOTAS setup would be amazing.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

ArizonaTank

I spent alot of time with the game shortly after its original launch as well. 

Heck, when I was a reviewing type of guy, long ago and far away, I even did a review for Armchair General back in 2008. As you know, the game was called Battleground Europe then. At that time I expressed amazement at the game's longevity even then.

http://armchairgeneral.com/battleground-europe-revisited.htm

So I am very tempted to jump back in for a bit, just to see how the old gal is holding up.

I can't explain it exactly, but the game is still my favorite FP tank simulation.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

MengJiao

Quote from: Geezer on September 08, 2018, 06:15:54 AM
I also took another look at this one recently after 8 years off.  Didn't look like there were many players online during the times I played.  I was still in my old squad, 644th Wild Boars, but there were never more than one or two guys playing.  Pretty sure I was killed at least twice by guys hacking as I was prone in cover and was dead before I could even raise my rifle to shoot, both times to enemies who came around a corner and immediately zeroed in on me.  I might come back if they ever figure out a way to stop the cheaters.

It's funny how cheating comes and goes in different games. In WWII Online at one point (around 2004 maybe?)there was a little change in the server code to exclude
the cheat where you multiply hits so that in theory your weapon would no longer pour out infinite hits or at least those hits would be excluded as hits even if they showed up as visuals so
I remember a few days wherein i could walk across vast battlefields bathed in flames
from thousands of hits without being touched in my inner being.  The only problem was that it was very hard to see and I ran out of ammo so I had to walk
up to those 88s full of bewildered cheaters and
kill the cheaters with a knife that must have emerged (from their point of view) from a walking pilar of fire.

Sir Slash

I REALLY miss Armchair General.  :'(
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Sir Slash on October 21, 2022, 11:13:00 AM
I REALLY miss Armchair General.  :'(

Maybe Grogheads should start a front page or somesuch.  It might be a good addition to the content here.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback