Main Menu

WoW Classic

Started by Nefaro, August 30, 2019, 10:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Planning on checking out World Of Warcaft's "Classic" version soon now that the first few days of overpopulation has settled into their routine.

A friend says the 'Windseeker' realm server is lower pop, so that's the first candidate.  Horde side.

Wondering if I still feel the same burnout I got way back in the 2000's.  Only way to know is to go. 

Con

That is a time suck I dont even want to contemplate - GF who is wife would put my twig and berries on the mantle next to Gus if I opened that can of worms now

GibbyG

I made a toon on Windseeker Alliance side.  No queues so far unlike a lot of other realms

Nefaro

Quote from: Con on August 30, 2019, 12:02:55 PM
That is a time suck I dont even want to contemplate - GF who is wife would put my twig and berries on the mantle next to Gus if I opened that can of worms now

Any MMO has the tendency to be a time suck, for sure.

However, I realized long ago that my normal tendency to constantly buy new games (on sales) is curtailed when I'm locked into an MMO.  So, despite a monthly sub cost, I tend to save money when I get locked in.  The problem is finding one that sucks me in.  Especially nowadays when more of them give me motion sickness, for some damn reason, even though I would normally enjoy them for awhile (looking at you ESO!).

Not sure how long WoWC will hold my attention as I got burned out on it way backin the 2000s.  Perhaps it'll distract me for awhile, though.  <:-)

Nefaro

Quote from: challerain on August 30, 2019, 04:14:56 PM
I made a toon on Windseeker Alliance side.  No queues so far unlike a lot of other realms

I expect the crowds to die down after the first couple months.  Once some of the servers' population drops, they'll inevitably combine pairs as MMORPGs always have.  So those poor saps who sit in waiting queues the first month are all doing so for not.  ;)

Huw the Poo

MMORPGs have risen and fallen on their launch strategies, with regard to server populations, queues and the inevitable merges.

DennisS

I was in the beta in december, 2004. We had one family computer back then. The missus got interested, and for about two days, we played one hour each, alternately. Yep..that's how long THAT lasted.

I won't tell you how long I played, but when 60 was the level cap, I had SIX toons at level 60. Then..I got hacked, and they cleaned out my guild's vault. A big guild. So..I got booted, and I quit in disgust, for several years.

I logged back in, about four months ago, to find that my holy specced raid healing priest was dead, and had been in a graveyard for six years! The hackers must have liked my toon, and was using it in a raid when blizzard pulled the plug. I was forced to rename "Chalice" to "Chalise". I liked the original name better!

I have ZERO desire to go back to vanilla...buying arrows, training and feeding pets, and a serious number of quality of life changes backwards!

Jarhead0331

Hard to believe this game is still out there and going strong.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

smittyohio

Quote from: DennisS on August 31, 2019, 06:40:31 PM
I was in the beta in december, 2004. We had one family computer back then. The missus got interested, and for about two days, we played one hour each, alternately. Yep..that's how long THAT lasted.

I won't tell you how long I played, but when 60 was the level cap, I had SIX toons at level 60. Then..I got hacked, and they cleaned out my guild's vault. A big guild. So..I got booted, and I quit in disgust, for several years.

I logged back in, about four months ago, to find that my holy specced raid healing priest was dead, and had been in a graveyard for six years! The hackers must have liked my toon, and was using it in a raid when blizzard pulled the plug. I was forced to rename "Chalice" to "Chalise". I liked the original name better!

I have ZERO desire to go back to vanilla...buying arrows, training and feeding pets, and a serious number of quality of life changes backwards!

I'm still playing BFA, but after about 5 hours I think I might have already had enough of my fill of classic.   Nostalgia hit me smack in the face, and keeps on smacking.   What was a thrill back then is pretty monotonous now.   That said, if I still had a group of friends playing and they had no more ambition than leveling and running the old dungeons (not raids), I'd keep playing.  Without that, what's the point?  I am NOT spending countless hours raiding MC, BWL, AQ, etc again.   

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Nefaro on August 30, 2019, 05:40:33 PM
Quote from: challerain on August 30, 2019, 04:14:56 PM

.... So those poor saps who sit in waiting queues the first month are all doing so for not.  ;)

like waiting for one of those damn Popeye chicken sandwiches...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

acctingman

Logged in...died....looked on the map and saw how long it would take me to run back. Logged off and deleted my sub.

I'm done with MMO's. Had a great run, but MMO's are too much of a time sink.

DennisS

Quote from: acctingman on August 31, 2019, 10:32:40 PM
Logged in...died....looked on the map and saw how long it would take me to run back. Logged off and deleted my sub.

I'm done with MMO's. Had a great run, but MMO's are too much of a time sink.

I am fully retired. Money isn't an issue, I can do whatever I want.

What I want is to play games of all kinds for over a hundred hours a week. Strategy board games, board wargames, console games, pc games, you name it, I play it.

WoW is probably the game I play the most..and that's fine. The missus and I take our toons out, and have quality couple time!

AchillesLastStand

Been playing since release night and am having fun. Since Blizzard fixed the long que times a couple days ago I haven't seen a wait time of over 5 minutes or so with the server being at full status. As far as MMO's go WOW is still the king. Dont see how anyone would go back to playing retail after playing classic.

FlickJax

I used to find the grind therapeutic after a busy day, but not sure I could face it again though :(

LoganismyHERO

I'm in the same boat. I've played WoW since day one and I find it a chore when I log on. Games shouldn't be a chore.