IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Discussion

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 28, 2013, 06:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Skoop on November 09, 2019, 02:29:10 PM
The Careers for Il2 BP, FC, and tank crew have been released, giving it a spin.

Ugh.  I swore I wouldn't dig into this until I got my new 34" Curved Monitor and Thrustmaster Warthog in December. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 09, 2019, 09:27:01 PM
Thanks, but I was more interested in tutorials and training missions for Tank Crew. Youtube videos are great, but I prefer interactive missions with instruction, similar to how DCS does it.

Wait, which DCS modules have that?  ???
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 09, 2019, 11:24:21 PM
Thanks, but I was more interested in tutorials and training missions for Tank Crew. Youtube videos are great, but I prefer interactive missions with instruction, similar to how DCS does it.

Wait, which DCS modules have that?  ???

Ummmmm....just about all of them.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Skoop

Quote from: Skoop on November 09, 2019, 07:19:12 PM
Requiem's youtube tutorials are very good.  He covers everything from basic fighter ops to very detailed how to on each specific aircraft.  Also you can get some in cockpit references via the specs tab of the map.

If all else fails, jump in to the career right now and use the p-51 in the battle of the bulge.  The p-51 is like the 109 where everything is automated so you can focus on just dogfighting, plus it handles like a dream and 777's version of it is amazing.

I agree, an in game tutorial would have been nice.

I did jump in and figured most out by just setting up my controls for it.  Tank crew has it's own controls tab in the settings, however they are not exclusive so some things from flight will override into tanks like snap view settings.

One cool thing is that you can drive the tank while in the gunner or commander seat by using your HOTAS throttle for forwards and backwards and rudder pedals for left right....it works really good.

You have to control the main gun with the mouse, wont let you do it with your HOTAS stick, but the mouse worked ok.  I set the sight range adjust to the 2 aux/side mouse buttons and the mouse wheel controls the magnification. 

2 missions into the German Kursk Campaign and it's pretty fun.  Nothing earth shattering, but fun and impressive that they could do this with the engine of a flight sim.

Jarhead0331

Battles of Normandy announced!

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/56307-announcing-battle-of-normandy/?fbclid=IwAR0bNWLRUpdMtzBwbTfmxYBc2iGu7_CtgqbHZnhPD8yPFc3Dn2iKn590Cpk

Battle of Normandy, will continue to offer a wide variety of gameplay options and also push our product forward with additional technology, features and improvements. We will of course, have an awesome plane-set that represents the era in which the title takes place. It will also include all the features that is standard for our WWII titles such as QMB, Pilot Career, Custom SP Missions and Multiplayer support. We also plan to include a Scripted Campaign focusing on a specific part of the battle.  See below for additional information.

Battle of Normandy Plane-set:

P-51 B/C
P-47D "Razorback"
Typhoon Mk.Ib
Mosquito F.B. Mk.VI
Spifire Mk.XIV (Collector Plane)
C-47 Dakota (AI)
B-26 Marauder (AI)

Bf-109 G-6 "Late"
Fw-190 A-6
Ju-88 C-6a
Me-410
Ar-234 (Collector Plane)
V-1 Buzz Bomb (AI) 

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/uploads/monthly_2019_11/BON_Map_Announcement_EN.jpg.65ca8d95279495c17bda1f7c3c2e2fd7.jpg
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Is Tank Crew the same as the IL2 games to get into? In other words...not easy? Unforgiving? Demanding?

I am super interested in Tank Crew but I don't want to spend 70.00 to have it too difficult to play.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on November 26, 2019, 12:13:38 PM
Is Tank Crew the same as the IL2 games to get into? In other words...not easy? Unforgiving? Demanding?

I am super interested in Tank Crew but I don't want to spend 70.00 to have it too difficult to play.

Its not Steel Beasts Pro in complexity, but it does model some complex mechanics and systems for the time period. Its totally worth it in my opinion...I mean, what other options are there for WWII armor simulation?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on November 26, 2019, 12:13:38 PM

The biggest difficulty is getting a good and easy to remember control scheme set up.   

I managed to do it by combining my HOTAS throttle, pedals, keyboard and mouse in such a way that the tank is easy and fun to operate. 

Outside of that, it's pretty forgiving compared to the flight portion.  I'd say about as good as Steel Fury if you ever played that one.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: SirAndrewD on November 26, 2019, 12:52:37 PM
The biggest difficulty is getting a good and easy to remember control scheme set up.   

That's for damn sure.

Gusington

Definitely true about it being the only WWII armor option out there right now...sadly.

I haven't played an armor sim since M1 Tank Platoon (the original) back when I was about 13.

But I have always had a fascination with it and that has expanded to WWII armor.

Good to read that it is not quite as difficult to get into as the flight sims.

Have any of you guys tried the Soviet or German campaign yet?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

WallysWorld

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on November 26, 2019, 12:56:59 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on November 26, 2019, 12:52:37 PM
That's for damn sure.

Once I have a good HOTAS setup, I make diagrams on my computer for the controls setup for all of my flying games.

This is a great example:

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Pete Dero

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Tuna

Quote from: Pete Dero on November 26, 2019, 01:21:39 PM
Quote from: Gusington on November 26, 2019, 01:09:10 PM
Definitely true about it being the only WWII armor option out there right now...sadly.

There is also Steel Fury (https://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SFURY/steel-fury-kharkov-1942)

Steel Fury 1942 STA 3.3 Mod : http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=22684.0

Didn't someone have a problem with that site or model last year?

Pete Dero